LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

carb lt1 help! please look

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
I am probably the only one here that would leave the opti and pcm in charge of the spark timing and run a map and rig up the tps onto the carb.
rest of us aren't so foolish
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
rest of us aren't so foolish
Oh I disagree, that dfi worked our friggen sweet for you dude
Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
Oh I disagree, that dfi worked our friggen sweet for you dude

don't remind me
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Little history here.
mdacton had a lot of hassles with aftermarket injection on a more radical setup, eventually gave up and went carbed. Even he is saying give the injection one more shot with your milder setup.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Little history here.
mdacton had a lot of hassles with aftermarket injection on a more radical setup, eventually gave up and went carbed. Even he is saying give the injection one more shot with your milder setup.
I had great luck with stock injection for 8+ years, run it on several other cars without a problem. When the stock injection is right its hard to beat, a great system. You just have a little problem somewhere you need to find and it could be in the tune, if you can't figure it out I would find someone that can.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Mdacton, you need some carb spacer on that thing!!!

The GMPP intake will be fine on his application, I know the guy that helped develope it and he ran it on his 383" engine and it ran 10.80's in box stock form. They were also developing a larger single plane for the LT1 however it got shelved. If you think it isn't enough in factory form have it ported to match.

I run a giant Mallory comp 9000 distributor with the Ford cap, the way I notched the cowl still affords me the room to remove the distributor if I need to. (I don't have wipers).

Timing it is easy too, find TDC mark it on the face (build a pointer) of the hub, degree off the number your looking for on the hub, then fire it up and find your mark.

Did I mention Mdacton you need some spacer on that thing?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 AM

well i have been trying to fix what i have (fuel injection) but its not working so well i went to datalog the car and had no communication with the computer .. and the computer was making a buzzing sound... take a closer look and my ecm had gotten water in it. so now im trying to decide wether i should cut my losses here and sell the fi stuff and go carbed or keep on at the fi?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:57 PM

Re: carb lt1 help! please look

I'm new to forum but this interested me no I don't have a lt-1 z/28 but I have a 93 z/28 motor in my S10. I have tried the homemade stand alone harness but with the 2000 S10 you have to wire two ecm's together and I'm not 100% sure I have it right. I am or was a mechanic until I had 1 to many cars fall on me. What I am w@nting to ask is is there another aluminum Intake for a carb other than the $350 intake jets and summit offers. The guy in this post said something about a intake that you had to block off the thermostat housing. What intake will work to do this? I am on s.s. so money is tight that's why I didn't just buy a stand alone harness. I you have a intake that will work please tell me what it is Freebird3836
Old 04-12-2018, 01:04 PM

holy 10year old post

if you're running LT1 head you have to run the LT1 carb intake. There are machine shops that are able to convert an SBC intake for lt1 heads but not too many anymore as LT1 stuff is dying breed...
Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Administrator

The most popular conversions seem to be the Edelbrock Victor Jr, or Super Victor. You can either have the center holes on the manifold redrilled, and use angled shims to compensate for the LT1 heads different bolt angle. Or have new holes drilled in the LT1 heads with the correct angle. Apparently drilling the heads may only apply to the “early” LT1 heads with the extra material on the castings in that location.

Unlike the Gen 1 intake manifolds, which are “wet”, the LT1 intake is “dry”, so the t’stat housing on the intake manifold serves no purpose, and gets blocked off.

I've seen people quoting costs ranging from $500-$1,100 all-in, although the latter number may apply to a fuel injection conversion (adding injectors bungs).

Unless you are building a high RPM stroker, with power adder, the GMPP dual-plane carb/distributor intake is more than adequate.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Yep, going to cost WAY more converting a Gen 1 SBC intake like the Jr or Super Victor to a Gen 2 LT1

I got the GMPP one years ago I see they have gone up in $ since I bought mine but still for under $350 and it is plug & play. Shop around, maybe even a used one out there somewhere

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...2/applications

I also got the Opti block off plate with Timing mark locator..it also has gone up in $ since I got mine

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...7600/overview/