LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

car idles real sparatic then dies - what the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 01:21 PM

car idles real sparatic then dies - what the problem?

First off i got a 96SS.
I had this problem last december, although i thought it was just a frozen fuel line. since that incident, my car has been parked for the winter until today when i went to go wash the car.

the first time in december:
i turned the car off after getting pulled over by a cop. after waiting ten minutes, i tried to crank the car up. it would crank, but run at a real sparatic idle, up and down between 500 and 1000rpm. eventually after a ten/twenty seconds
of running like that, it would die. try to crank it back up, the same thing, real wild idle. Also if you tried to throttle it a little bit, it would nearly die and did some times. I couldnt get the car to move ten feet without dying ten times.
Eventually, the thing would not even crank up. the temp was about 20 degrees outside. the cop was nice enough to give me a ride home. the next day i put fuel tank de-icer in it, cranked up and ran like a charm all the way home (+10 miles).

thats why i figured it was a frozen fuel line.

Then parked the car for winter. Midway through the winter, i drove the car on day just to warm it up and get the oil moving around to lubricate my engine after it had been sitting for a little while.

and just today, after washing it, the same problem occurs. Stumbles on its face. Wont drive down the road without dying. Same sparatic idle. And after five/ten minutes of this, it wont crank. And there is fuel in the tank, so thats ruled out.
also has a new optispark

My possilbe reasons:
pump, filter (replaced 40k ago), computer.

Im leaning away from the filter because its just been replaced, is it likely that it would fail so soon with only 40K on it?

anyone ever have this kind of problem
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dale J.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:50 PM

I had the same problem with my 94Z i took it to the shop and it turned out to be just dirty fuel injection system. Had it cleaned and its run fine since then.