LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can noisy rockers trip SES light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Can noisy rockers trip SES light?

I have 1.6rr's on my LT1 and they were noisy to begin with. However, I have a LT4 KM. I remember just ONE time back in November, my car was idling one time and I got an SES light. I simply revved the motor up and it went away immediately and I never saw it again until I started driving my car last week. I had been starting it up weekly from November until now (about 4 months), and putting it through complete heat cylces. I don't believe it ever gave me an SES light while it was sitting still for 4 months. (The rear end was broke).

The catch:

When I drained the oil out before I started driving it again, only about a quart came out. It was pretty dark. This blew me away because the oil had been changed just 3000 miles prior and I had put a few quarts in it since then. Anyhow, I was thinking maybe I did some damage to the engine because I'm getting some noise from the passenger head (rocker noise). But not very noticable at all. The only reason I notice is because the driver's side isn't as noisy. Is it possible that I damaged just the passenger head? And would this ticking cause an SES light even though I have an LT4 KM?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM

Re: Can noisy rockers trip SES light?

As far as I have ever seen on my OBD1, you won't get a SES from excessive rocker noise.

That being said, if your rockers are that loud, they are set wrong. I have never had noisy rockers on my cam/1.6RR setup and its been running strong since October. I would say if you've developed a noise, it could be a bent pushrod or something else like that.

The fact that only 1 quart came out would worry me. You need to find out where it went... if its not on the ground under the car then check the coolant. If it isn't in the coolant then you probably have a big problem. (Rings, valve seals totally shot, etc)
Old 02-24-2005, 04:17 PM

You would think the low oil light would have come on.

Rocker noise will not cause a SES.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 PM

Whenever the low oil light came, I put more oil in it. I didn't bother with it too much when it was sitting still because I figured that it may just slightly burn some oil.

Anyhow, the guy I bought the engine from said it was set up loose for nitrous, so it would burn some oil.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 PM

have you done any work to the engine internals? i mean timing cover or oil pan off work? it may be a major gasket leak.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt Crosbie
Whenever the low oil light came, I put more oil in it. I didn't bother with it too much when it was sitting still because I figured that it may just slightly burn some oil.

Anyhow, the guy I bought the engine from said it was set up loose for nitrous, so it would burn some oil.
A motor should never burn oil.. doesnt matter what it was intended to support. Does it make a lot of noise on cold mornings?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:50 AM

No, its not really noisy in the first place. i'm probably just paranoid.

I know what you're referring to by "making alot of noise on cold mornings". It doesn't do that.

Evil Eric have you done any work to the engine internals? i mean timing cover or oil pan off work? it may be a major gasket leak.
Yea, its a forged 355. I guess it could be an oil leak, but wouldn't there be oil under my car every day?