LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A/C problem. Computer not sending signal?? ever hear of this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM

A/C problem. Computer not sending signal?? ever hear of this?

Took my car to an AC place and said that they did an electrical test and that they can tell the computer turn on the AC and it works... but they cant leave it in that cycle cuz it'll destroy the compressor.. but that also the compressor has a leak in it anyways.

How do u fix a computer problem like that?? Something to the effect they were telling the computer to ground itself and then it'd kick on the A/C.

Now Prior to this i had just charged my A/C after it was out for 1 year. It worked fine that night i drove it home. It did not work the next day.

So anyone ever hear of a computer problem with the A/C?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:47 AM

Re: A/C problem. Computer not sending signal?? ever hear of this?

I think there was a mis-communication between you and the shop. The PCM will pull the compressor relay coil to ground to operate the compressor. This is normal function. The only direct link to the compressor clutch voltage line is a monitor link to the PCM. That link has no output capabilities. It detects voltage to the clutch and reports AC on.

If your compressor is leaking it is best to replace the whole thing. Don't waste your time putting a seal in it. I'm also concerned that you replace your filter dryer when you redo the system.

The PCM has no way to "ruin" the compressor other than running it normally. Unless you have a blockage that the refrigerant pressure sensor can't detect and the PCM continues to run the compressor when the pressure is too high.

When they vacuum the system down, have them monitor the vacuum level closely to be sure the THX valve is ok. Since your system was down so long, chances are it's corroded and is sticking.