LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

buying clutch...suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM

buying clutch...suggestions???

X-mas is right around the corner and im getting a new clutch....mods are in sig and my price range is around $500 bucks....i've heard all different things so i'd like all your input..thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 09:36 PM

Re: buying clutch...suggestions???

If you are planning on not modding the car out anytime in the future I would stick with the SLP pressure plate and SLP clutch disk from www.tbyrnemotorsports.com (Tom is a supporting vendor of this site and great guy to deal with). That clutch will run you around ~$360. If you are going to be adding some power soon (i.e. N2O, H/C, FI) I would go with the SPEC stage 3 hybrid clutch setup. The SPEC clutch runs around $480 and is a great clutch as I have it in my '95 Z28. The SLP will feel and drive like a stock clutch as opposed to the SPEC clutch that is a little chattery, but grabs like a ****. My $.02.

Jeff
Old 12-09-2004, 12:53 PM

any comments on the spec stage 2?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:47 PM

anyone?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM

I have the Spec II and love it. I know you can find some negitive feedback on here about Spec but I have not had anything bad happen. I think it goes back to whom ever is doing the install...they do a good job. I honestly can not notice any difference in the feel of my Spec than the stocker....but boy does it grab better!!! I have REALLY ABUSED it for about a year now and it is still holding strong. I haven't tried slicks with it but I run Nitto 555's. Spec told me that the same pressure plate is used on the Stage II as on the III....the disc being the only difference...therefore if you mod more later just put in the Stage III disc. Anyway I like mine...hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1slowta
any comments on the spec stage 2?

I have it and love it. My mods seem very similar to yours (jet-hot LT's, CAI, 4.10s) and I love my spec stage 2. It took it a WHILE to come around where it wanted to grab hard, but it finally did and has been in my car for over a year now with no problems and no slippage at all. I even had a little nitrous on it for a while.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:09 PM

to me there is only 3 options on LT1 fbody clutches. Street twin, spec stage 4 or slp pp and lt1 disk. The street twin is suppose to be a very streetable, reliable clutch but they run close to 1k. I've heard way to many horror stories about spec, especially the springs in the disks. The stage 4 has no springs thats why i would run it. The slp LT4 pp and LT1 disk is also a cheap, reliable upgrade. I've heard its only good to about 3-350 rwhp. This is the clutch i'm using because i hardly go to the track. At the time i didn't have money for a street twin, the stage 4 wasn't out yet and i didn't want to have to pull my tranny 10 times before i got a stage 3 that might last. I would say based on your budget i would get the Stage 4 or the SLP. The Stage 4 is suppose to be pretty rough, but if you want hp its just somethign you have to live with.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:16 PM

You gotta figure out what you want first. If you don't plan on modding the car much more then just get a SLP replacement like whats said above. I have heard from many people that run SPEC clutches that the stage III and IV are less chattery to drive than the stage II. Also, if you have pulled your M6 as much as I have, skip the stage II and III. Get the stage IV. Thats what I have now and I think its easier to drive than the stage III and you do NOT need to worry about those damn springs popping out .

If I had to do it all again, I would just bite the bullet now and buy a streettwin! They can be rebuilt for around $300 and it holds around 1200HP. Once this stage IV goes out, thats what will be going in my car.