LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

build too loud 3" true dual exaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 01:07 AM

Wink build too loud 3" true dual exaust

Almost finished with my camaro. Decided to build my own true 3" duals, bought 3" piping, x pipe, and two 16" long bullet mufflers from summitracing. My camaro has no cats, exaust cuts before the rear end, making mufflers to go to the side a bit . When I started my car, in five minutes somebody already called the cops in my appartment building. Haven't even driven my car yet. I have enough room in the back to put too more 16" mufflers, or put some cats in line with mufflers. Do you guys think this would help with noise issue. Is there any mufflers available that look like catalytic converters and do good job in reducing the sound.

Tomas
Old 04-25-2003, 01:11 AM

You're doomed!

I'll bet a good bottle of Cognac you're going to something real quiet within 2 weeks of driving the damn car....
Old 04-25-2003, 01:17 AM

I will get some sound clips and some pictures of my exaust setup tomorrow. It's not that loud from inside, but it sucks being outside.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:11 AM

Do you have turndowns or endpipes that go out towards the tires like this

l l
l l
L

Thats how I have mine, just bent pipe going out to a 90 degree angle. they are only about 1 foot long on each side, stoping before the lower control arms, they made a huge difference, it takes away all the drone especially at idle since the exhaust doesn't bounce off the ground and reverberate up and down. When I first did this, I started the car up then went underneath and put in just one pipe to see if I could hear a difference and the decrease was amazing. It sounded like someone was inside the car turning down the volume. This is one option, the other is to put some cats on there, they will quieten things down, or get more mufflers, or a different muffler, the ones I use are just like yours but are quieter due to more packing, also very cheap 17.50 each. Yours are loud cause they're racing mufflers, to much sound attracts the police, and if they are smart they may look under to see if you've got some cats
Old 04-25-2003, 03:27 AM

A couple turbos will quiet that right down! J/k, Whistler from the FL section did a chop job on the floorpan under ther rear seats and welded in flat pieces. Then he cut a lil padding off the bottom of the seats and put'em back; you'd never know anything was different even sitting in them. That left enough room to cram some Flowmasters under there and really quiet things down and yet he has more ground clearance that what came from the factory!
Old 04-25-2003, 10:20 AM

I have no turndown or endpipes, my pipes are going towards the rear tires, I will try making a 90 degree pipe and see what happens. Where did you find $17.5 mufflers? I want to get couple more to get them in line with the ones I have. This is very cheap. I paid $37 for mine from summit.

Tomas
Old 04-25-2003, 10:55 AM

I have turndowns facing the ground. The sounds reflects off the ground big time.

The resonance is so bad it sets off car alarms at idle and shakes the dash of the car behind me.

You need to angle them so there is no obstruction in front of them.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:00 AM

2 Highflow 3" cats will not quiten the car down much at all. Unless you're goal is emmissions, it's not worth the cost. My cutouts bypass the mufflers only. When they are open, no-one can beleive I'm not running open headers, and that the exhaust is actully passing through cats...
Old 04-25-2003, 11:23 AM

I have turndowns facing the ground. The sounds reflects off the ground big time.

The resonance is so bad it sets off car alarms at idle and shakes the dash of the car behind me.
Hahahaha... I was driving through town with Louis (G2 LS1) last night and when we pulled into our parking lot I passed a riced-out Acura and set off its alarm! Damn, I love these Purple Hornies.

Loud exhaust rules... aside from the entire going-deaf part.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:50 AM

what you guys think about 2 inline mufflers on each side plus a turn to the side pipe where there is no obstruction. This could be quite enough. I found out that there is a $2500 fine for running a car with no cats. Police may be interested to look underneeth my car after seeing exaust to the side, and hearing CC306 music. I am not going to weld any of my exaust, will use just clamps. I will try to experiment with turn down pipes and maybe different type of mufflers, as long as I am not broke

Tomas
Old 04-25-2003, 07:07 PM

I just got my Hooker LTs and true duals on and its actually alot quieter than I would have presumed. At WOT its insanely loud, but it sounds awesome. I thought 2 bullets would be nowhere near enough for me, but its plenty. My friends mustang with Hooker LTs, off-road X-pipe, and the new Borla XS mufflers is a good bit louder at idle. His resonates alot more. I like mine since it doesn't resonate. His car is a whole hell of a lot quieter at WOT than mine tho. And faster, that damn mustang.