LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

bottom end build up help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:08 PM

bottom end build up help

Ok, here is the deal:

I plan on rebuilding my lt1. The car is off the road and I want to do this right the first time and get everything perfect. The plan is to stroke it, build completely custom heads, custom intake, custom exhaust. My goal for this motor is at least 500 N/A Hp with about a 300 shot of nitrous, so i want to build everything to handle at least a 1000hp or so. Sincs its gonna be a stroker, i am not worried about turning more than 6000rpms, but i want to have a flawless bottom end. I plan on using my stock lt1 block, drilling small oil holes through the main journals to cool the bottom of the pistons, filling the block with hard block cement up to the freeze plug holes and a few other mods. My lack of knowledge comes in when i start thinking about what company to go with when it comes to the crank, rods, pistons, and piston rings!!! I am assuming i should go with a 5140 crank? and i prob will go with some brand of H-beam rods. Pistons?...i need all the help i can get? same with rings. I was thinking that i would like to shot peen everything for strength and maybe do that cryo treatment on it, just for added reliability and life. Last i was thinking get all moving parts friction coated. Now from what research i have done, these three treatments, shotpeening, cryo treatment, and friction coating all work very well when only one is done. My question is, does anyone know if the advantages of performing all three on parts will make them even stronger and last longer??? Any help will be greatly appreciated..