LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bolt on advice for new LT1 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 AM

Bolt on advice for new LT1 purchase

Hi all, new to the forum.

I've modded a few LS1 cars and currently own a LS1 powered Z28. My wife and I recently picked up a 97 SS Camaro at a very nice price. Car has 73,000 miles. Wasn't running well so In the last 6 months, we added:

- New AC Delco Opti
- New MSD 8.5 wires
- New TR55 Plugs
- New Kooks Headers/Ypipe
- New drop in K&N Filter for the stock SS airbox.

The Car runs much better, but Rich and could use a tune. Before I do a dyno tune it, i'd like to finish the Air induction Mods. Is it a better idea performance wise to keep the SS Airbox or go with a Z28 style CAI? Also, comments on the Trickflow elbow, Ported MAF ends and a larger TB?

Eventual plan is a new 383 stroker but that is years down the road. We'd like ot just keep adding a few boltons and restoring the paint/interior to better than new condition for now.

-Rock
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Re: Bolt on advice for new LT1 purchase

Oh, I forgot to mention that it came with the 3" SLP Catback as well.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Welcome to camaro Z28 ..... is the car a automatic or m6 ? I have the trick flow elbow tube looks nice!!
but I could tell no difference !! got nothing out of it maybe a few numbers on the dyno??
In my opinion the Z28 c.a.i looks better than the ss style... performance wise I'M not sure seen some mixed reviews ?? no need to replace the stock throttle body yet my understanding its good
for 360hp or so ??? you may want to look into the infamous air foil, TB bypass , 160%u00B0 thermostat

you need to add a ( budget ) performance parts add up pretty fast !!!
a (budget) will help us spend your money lol just joking.... But seriously it will let us know
whats the best performance mod for you

Last edited by parkers Z28; 12-24-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks,

It is an M6. Clutch may have been replaced as it feels strong. Hydraulics are good as well. Has a factory Hurst shifter. Budget...well, it is ongoing. I have a few hundred a month to throw at the car. I would like to upgrade the brakes, suspension as well. Just trying to knock out the bolt-ons first, add a little bit to the underhood appearance and then I'll replace the aged leather interior.

I'll look into the TB airfoil, 160 stat and TB bypass!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Before you get too excited about the airfoil, here's some dyno tests of popular LT1 bolt-ons. Even though these tests are 15 years old, they are still valid.

WS6.COM LT1 Trans Am
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks Fred for posting the link !! nothing like having some dyno results to back. it up looks like the airfoil will get you Around 2hp and the TB bypass with the 160 degree stat will get you 5hp not much
but it all adds up... and the TB bypass is free !!

I did some searching on here about the trickflow elbow tube ...if I understand the 4 pages
this is more of a dress up item due to heat soak and smaller diameter makes me wonder if I may be losing .5hp or so ?? but it still looks good !!

Rock Six I see your looking at doing a brake up grade since can you have a LS1 and a LT1 maybe you can help me out does the LS1 really stop that much better ?? I have been thinking of doing a LS1 brake conversion...all I really want is the cross drilled & slotted rotors
is there a big difference in the braking ????

Last edited by parkers Z28; 12-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 AM

The LT front brakes are pretty poor, the LS upgrade is possibly my favorite mod; also the LT cast iron vs LS aluminum calipers so you get a big unsprung weight savings.

Not sure which intake elbow you have with an SS but the GM 1LE is the best as it is rubber (no heat soak), smooth inside (reduced turbulence), gets rid of the sound baffle. You may already have this on a SS though.

Have never been able to find hard data (dyno or flow) but consensus I have gathered is don't touch the MAF, it is not the restriction in the intake system and it is easy to wreck it. Same for bigger TB, won't do much for a stockish motor either, again as it is not the flow problem.

Have seen some subjective posts that the SS intake routing with all its bends actually flows worse than an aftermarket CAI; I have not seen any hard data but really have not dug for it so it may be out there.

In addition to LS brakes, good bang for your buck mods: 1) If your rear end is in good shape, swap out the stock gears (3.42) for some 4.10s; 5th and 6th are both essentially overdrives so you can get better acceleration with little or no loss in mileage or drivability. Probably $250 for gears, same for install if you do not want to do it yourself. 2) Better adjustable shocks can do quite a bit to help the handling performance of these cars; anywhere from 500 to 1500 depending on brand.

IMO, not so much bang for your buck, (more in the speed is money, how fast do you want to go realm): There are some gains in aftermarket sway bars. Stiffer lowering springs but they require a number of rear suspension mods (LCA relocate brackets and adjustable panhard bar, or better -- watts link) at the same time to be done correctly so you can get close to $1000, and the springs do significantly make the car a "rougher" ride. Also subframe and shock tower braces will stiffen the chassis; SFCs seem to show better seat of the pants results for most. All these also help but are incrementally less noticeable than the brakes, gears, and shocks (in my opinion.)
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 AM

My LS1 car has a 6 piston Wilwood set-up and therefore, the comparison between the two cars is well...dramatic.

As stated above, the LS1 brake swap is a great swap for the LT1 cars. I'll likely end up going with a 4 or 6 piston Wilwood set up on the LT1 as well and replace the rears with some new Stoptech Rotors/Pads from Tirerack like I did with the LS1 car.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM

I say......PASS......on the dyno tune. Not gonna get you much over a decent mail order tune, since you still have stock Heads/Cam/Injectors.

Put that dynotune money towards some gears (4.10's IMO) and freshen up the drivetrain (1.6 roller rockers and new valve springs).

Then get you a mail order tune from an experienced company (I like pcm4less.com) and you're set !

From there.....tackle the brakes and suspension .

Best of luck!

KW