LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Big problem! Did I fry my TPS!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 01:33 PM

Big problem! Did I fry my TPS!?

Hey guys....I'm logged in as TaylnStorm since he's at work.

Here's the post I put on LS1.com

Sorry guys, I'm posting this for my best friend.

He has a '95 Z28. The car is stock other than a cut-out...it's an A4 with 2.73 rear. In any event, we went to the drag strip tonight, and all was well.

His first pass was OK (Nittos weren't hooking up...) and he decided to ice his intake before the second run. He slaps the bag of ice on the intake.

Next run, his SES light comes on (It has been doing this for the past two weeks though...haven't had a chance to DIACOMM it, and since the car runs fine with it, we figured it some EGR or AIR B.S.).

He pays no mind to it and proceeds to burnout. However, for some reason, he decided to to a burnout in second gear. All is still well.

He goes down the strip, but something is wrong! The car shifts at 3000 RPM at WOT! He is worried and thinks he broke the tranny, but it's still shifting flawlessly...just at 3000 RPM.

We get to my friend's house...it seems his car won't leave second gear. It's also idling funny, at about 1000 RPMs, and sort of fluctuating.

We DIACOMM it, and the code is 21 - throttle posigion high! After a bit of thinking, we disconnect the TPS and what do you know...it's soaking/dripping wet. We try drying it and plugging it back in, but no dice. Reset the PCM, no dice.

DIACOMM was indicating that at idle the car was at 4% throttle position. When my friend would drive or rev the car, the computer would not recognize this and still indicated the car was at 4% throttle position. Every so often it would drop in voltage and speed up the engine, indicate it was at 100% throttle, and the 02 sensors would start running rich.

What I'm asking is this - it's just the TPS that's fried, right? We disconnected it and he drove home fine. Does anyone know offhand how much a TPS is? Seems the ice leaked on it and fried it, unless it dries off...

Any help would be appreciated.