LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

best upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Smile best upgrades

I have a 1994 z28 with t-tops. I am looking to do a few upgrades. Just don't know where to start car is stock except for flow master exhust. Just had tranny rebuilt and 1500 stall convertor. What should I do next this is a daily driver but I do want to leave a little rubber behind and beat a few 5.0 s
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Re: best upgrades

Get rid of the truck exhaust manifolds that it comes with and get some long tubes then get a good intake like a morosso CAI. After that i would go with some nice 1.6rr and electric waterpump and then put it on a dyno and tune the bitch should be a low 13 sec car at least.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 PM

From what I know that's the best way to go, but didn't I see some debate on here about flow master actually not being the best way to go? Idk u would have to look into that. But from personal experience if you u go with long tube headers(I have them they did a lot for my car ) just don't lower your car, if it's for daily driving. I have major clearance issues, have to be careful where I go so I don't bend my y pipe all to hell. Also I've read that doing a bypass on your coolant hoses on your throttlebody is about a 6hp gain, just heard from injuneer on that today, apparently u disconnect them from the throttle body and connect them together, it cools down the throttle body temp and gives u cooler, denser air. There are other diy freebies out there too, like moving your ait sensor closer to the air filter on a cai.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM

def put a chip in it
Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 AM

If it's a 94 isn't it an EEPROM like my car? In that case get a program installed, speaking of which I need to have my EEPROM programmed to take advantage of some more mods, hmmmmmmm
Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by brandons94lt1
From what I know that's the best way to go, but didn't I see some debate on here about flow master actually not being the best way to go? Idk u would have to look into that. But from personal experience if you u go with long tube headers(I have them they did a lot for my car ) just don't lower your car, if it's for daily driving. I have major clearance issues, have to be careful where I go so I don't bend my y pipe all to hell. Also I've read that doing a bypass on your coolant hoses on your throttlebody is about a 6hp gain, just heard from injuneer on that today, apparently u disconnect them from the throttle body and connect them together, it cools down the throttle body temp and gives u cooler, denser air. There are other diy freebies out there too, like moving your ait sensor closer to the air filter on a cai.
Do you have any website with like pictures or instructions on exactly how to do this? I have a '94 and would be interested in doing that. What are the possible drawbacks or risk or doing that? Well, thanks.

And yeah, I have a longtube headers and Magnaflow catback and it sounds sick. I definitely recommend it.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Coleman
def put a chip in it
A custom tune will do much more than a 'chip' will.

As far as the TB bypass I don't know about a 6hp gain but it can't hurt. Moving the AIT sensor again isn't going to hurt but not sure about monster gains with that either.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Not to mention...... you can't replace the "chip" in a 94 (or any year after 93).

Seems odd that no one will believe the link I posted in his original post, showing the 6HP dyno test results for the TB bypass. I guess things become more believable when they are credited to "my brother's best friend's uncle told me"... and not to an actual test.

The problem with the IAT sensor in the stock location is that when it heat soaks, it seems to cause the PCM to pull timing. I know I watched mine go to 145*F sitting in traffic on a hot day with the AC on. Could feel the engine run rougher and lose power. Relocating the sensor to the cap on the K&N filter down in the drivers fender eliminated the sensor heat soak. Not a lot of power, but discernable.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM

Now that you mention that I did remember seeing that page many years ago. I would have never thought that 6hp would have been gained since the incoming air spends probably thousandth's of a second in the actual TB itself- hardly enough time to get warmed up.

I wonder if something else was affected by the slightly lower temp in the throttle body? Any chance the IAC would be open somewhat more allowing a little more air in to lean it out? I am not doubting the dyno chart- just seems as though there is something else here other than just a 20* drop in TB temp.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM

i have a hypertech program on mine made a huge difference i got itfor a steal of 120 off craigslist... sorry programmer not chip
Old 10-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
Now that you mention that I did remember seeing that page many years ago. I would have never thought that 6hp would have been gained since the incoming air spends probably thousandth's of a second in the actual TB itself- hardly enough time to get warmed up.
The heat from the throttle body also heats up the front of the intake manifold.

I wonder if something else was affected by the slightly lower temp in the throttle body? Any chance the IAC would be open somewhat more allowing a little more air in to lean it out? I am not doubting the dyno chart- just seems as though there is something else here other than just a 20* drop in TB temp.
Why would the IAC being open "lean it out"? All the air goes through the MAF, including the air that goes to the IAC passages. The fuel is proportioned to the MAF flow. Does not compute.

Originally Posted by Coleman
i have a hypertech program on mine made a huge difference i got itfor a steal of 120 off craigslist... sorry programmer not chip
Odd.... back in 95 I bought a Hypertech, and could measure no discernable performance increase. One of the magazines tested the "power program" in a 96 LT1, and it lost power. The only way it showed any improvement at all was when a 160* 'stat was also used. A mail order tune will produce guaranteed results. The consensus on this site is that the Hypertech "power program" is pretty much useless.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM

I agree about the Hypertech "power tuning". I purchased one when I changed my rear end ratio back in 98. It worked for that, as well as shift points, rev limiter and tire/wheel size. I then took it to IRP and ran back-to-back runs (cooling in between rounds). Absolutely no difference, and I had the 160 Hyperstat (thermostat) installed also.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Best upgrade? A twenty something blonde in the passenger seat.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Thumbs up Re: best upgrades

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Best upgrade? A twenty something blonde in the passenger seat.
Im new here and like you guys already!! great minds think alike brothers!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 AM

>I would say headers and a good catback exhaust along with a cold air induction.
not enough to break the bank, but don't expect light speed either.

Quick Reply: best upgrades