LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best Opti????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 PM
LT5

Re: Best Opti????

Honestly if i cannot fix this damn thing and get these codes off after cleaning up wiring and getting new alternator im going to switch to torque head ls3 pcm setup. Im getting sick of replacing optis myself, 3 so far and the MSD opti for me showed the best results but now i am showing a code 16. Tired, just want a good ignition system and one that makes a perfect tune.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by LT5
Honestly if i cannot fix this damn thing and get these codes off after cleaning up wiring and getting new alternator im going to switch to torque head ls3 pcm setup. Im getting sick of replacing optis myself, 3 so far and the MSD opti for me showed the best results but now i am showing a code 16. Tired, just want a good ignition system and one that makes a perfect tune.
I understand your frustration! Please understand, you have a BAD optispark! If you are throwing a code 16 for the OBD1, and I was throwing the codes P1371 and P0336 for the OBD2, the camshaft position sensor in your optispark is BAD.

I was ready to dump the money on a torque-head system though it would have meant nearly depleting my savings account at that point since I am going to college and am lucky to find someone who will hire me when knowing I am going to college. Out of desperation I decided to gamble on the Petris optispark and for the first time I feel like I can finally trust my ignition system, but it also helps that I changed the timing cover seals for the water pump drive and optispark.

Now, I don't know how well tuning the optispark ignition to a new engine build will go, if this is what you are talking about. The last time I inquired about this to a nearby and trusted engine builder, he automatically mentioned the aftermarket computer system he uses. With the torque head you can use your LT1 engine wire harness and plug it directly into their custom LS PCM and you can use their stock program to match the stock LT1 program until you get your engine tuned to your specifications. For me, why switch over to a $1000+ ignition system for daily driving when my optispark is doing pretty damn well as is?

The decision is up to you but if you want an immediate fix to your problem, the Petris optispark, from my experience, will solve your low resolution signal failure issue. This optispark uses a top notch sensor equal or superior to the original OEM Mitsubishi sensor and the optispark may even be built better in such a way as to help it survive temperature extremes and penetration from fluids. This is why I stress you don't void the warranty by opening the unit you receive. Just glop dielectric grease over seams where liquids can penetrate overtime and you should have yourself as protected of an optispark as you can have!

I hope this helps...

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 02-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 PM

I bought the Ebay opti from the Guy stated above. After 3 Summit brand optis I bought his and it cranked on first try and has been flawless. If you want a cheaper alternative I would recommend him. Also if you want to have yours rebuilt he does this for even cheaper with a quick turnaround. But like others have said stay away from the knockoffs as no one is producing a quality product anymore.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zman3030
I bought the Ebay opti from the Guy stated above. After 3 Summit brand optis I bought his and it cranked on first try and has been flawless. If you want a cheaper alternative I would recommend him. Also if you want to have yours rebuilt he does this for even cheaper with a quick turnaround. But like others have said stay away from the knockoffs as no one is producing a quality product anymore.
If ever my Petris Optispark were to go bad, I would definitely have it serviced by him, if he would be willing to service it!