LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Arao Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:47 AM

Arao Heads

New to this forum so hello to all. Hopefully someone has had some experience with Arao heads. I'm waiting on word back from them to see if they make an Lt1 compatible head, I believe they do. They'll be going into a '95 TA Lt1, M6, 3.42, mods to date are Ram Air, Hooker LT's w/custom Y pipe (no cats), Corsa exhaust. Had been thinking h/c package w/supercharger but would really rather keep the car NA; in view of that, Arao heads seem like a good alternative since I should be able to put up the numbers I'm looking for. Car will see little if any track time and is my daily driver; I live overseas and when I'm back in the States the milage is mainly around town and some long road trips (I keep the car in Florida, so no emmision probs, and have friends and family on both coasts). My thinking is that with these heads, I can keep the cam fairly "mild" as far as duration etc. I guess I'm looking for some feedback so I can get a "firm" plan in my head and get started. Any and all comments, advice, pros/cons are appreciated. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:15 AM

Hopefully, "Unstable Bob" is still around. He is the only person I know of to seriously attempt the Arao heads on an LT1. Bottom line: it is possible. Just bring a lot of money and good fabrication skills to the table., If you don't have the fab skills and are going to be paying for the work, bring even more money. If you farm the whole job out to a good shop I'd figure on AT LEAST $10,000 not including the cost of the short block, engine management system, fuel system, etc. I know someone who could do this for you, but it really would have to be an "open checkbook" kind of job as there is no accurate way to estimate it since it would the first time for this sort of a job on an LT1. PM or email me if you want me to hook you up with him.

If I were planning this, I'd figure ~$25,000 including the shortblock, engine R&R, and tuning. Maybe up to six months down time.

Rich Krause

Last edited by rskrause; 02-27-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:11 AM

Bobby simpson, is still plugging away at his... So it should be up and running pretty soon actually.. I'm sure he'll post about it when its ready...
Old 02-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Awe I can't believe Rich forgot about ol' Bobby.

As far as price i agree with Rich. It is way more than you think. I have looked into it deeply as a few times i was in negotiations to buy Barry's, UB's, and Bobby's Dominions.

Your looking at custom made headers, a custom intake manifold, custom pistons, and that's just the big obvious things. Then a extremely beefy bottom end to handle the power and that's big $ also.

So not only is it big $, remember the more rare and custom something is the more problems and headaches will arise.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:14 AM

Ok I'm curious, someone clue me in here...are these the 32v sbc heads? From the figures being thrown around here thats what I am inclined to think...
Old 02-27-2004, 10:59 AM

Yes they are 32 valve.

Is it just the headers that need to be fabricated or the intake as well?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:02 AM

I remember back when they were trying to sort details out about them the first impression they had was the stock intake could be retained, but it would be a big restriction.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
Is it just the headers that need to be fabricated or the intake as well?
Originally posted by WS Sick
I remember back when they were trying to sort details out about them the first impression they had was the stock intake could be retained, but it would be a big restriction.
Even a stock intake needs a ton of work. AKA a custom intake-
Bobby's LT1 Intake for Doms 1
Old 02-27-2004, 11:23 AM

Thats more than a little nip and tucking.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:46 AM

Started out as a "what if" in my head and thought I'd put it out there. They make it sound pretty much "bolt up" with the exception of headers. I guess anything is if you got the money. http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chvysmb2.htm