LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone recommend NOT trying cam install myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:12 PM

Question Anyone recommend NOT trying cam install myself?

For years I've wanted to get a cam. Well, I was just about to get one but I chickened out fearing the install process.

The only mechanical experience I have is installing my exhaust (longtubes, see sig) and basic stuff such as plugs, wires, alternator, starter, etc...

I've seen some cam install walkthroughs and it seems like hell. I don't know anything about zero-lash, top dead center, etc...

Oh, and by the way, I can only do this in an apartment parking lot. The manager is cool with it, as long as all the parts and things are hidden away when I'm not out there.

THANKS!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 PM

Go for it! I did mine in the parking lot. Stop and post questions when you get stuck. Many people on this board have experience with cam swaps. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:23 PM

I just finished mine, IMO it was very easy... The hardest part was the headers and wires! LOL...
Old 03-11-2003, 08:25 PM

You might want to plan a little first if it's your only way to work. A good contingient for problems goes a long way. Don't forget the puller you'll need for getting the damper hub off. Mark it first. Don't forget all the seals and gaskets while your there. The water pump drive seal is a B@#ch if your aren't used to seals. Many on this board have wasted 1, 2 and even 3 getting it right. There is a trick with the pump connector to hold the seal open.

Lastly, think about other things that could / should be replaced while you're there. Don't make 2 trips if you don't have to.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:26 PM

its REALLY EASY..just take your time and you will be done in no time. The harderst part is probably....**** there is no hard parts
Old 03-11-2003, 08:27 PM

I am going through the exact same process i just got a 306 cam and I am really excited because it provides an ausome opportunity to learn soo much about the car. Just think afterwards you can be that much closer to one of the "smart people" giving the advice instead of always asking for it.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM

Thanks a lot for your encouragement guys. I think I'll do it. What do you guys think, an XE 224/230 for me? Do I need to change the pushrods with that cam w/ 1.6 rr's?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:29 PM

are you getting the cam kit through CMotorsports, which include free pushrods if purchased by tomorrow. You can reuse them, just check them first by rolling them on a piece of glass to make sure they are not bent. If you get them free, might as well install them as they are only a 25 dollar part. Check to make sure the lifters are in good shape also, most likely they will be OK I plan on using my old ones. That cam is a real good choice, not to big or to small. Big cams are lots of fun but, they get old real quick when your only at part throttle or real low in the RPM range, plus they suck more gas and attract more attention from the police. IF you floor it everytime you get in the car or your at full throttle more than part, then a bigger cam might be better for you. I personally would rather have power a little lower in the RPM range and sacrifice high end peak power for better driving. I don't take my car up to redline often on the street so a smaller cam works for me. plus anything bigger than 224/230 will require some headwork to really make the cam shine. If you need more power in the future headwork will still make this cam pull serious power. If you look at the stock cam numbers in comparison, you'll see its a pretty big jump. As for installing the cam yourself, its not hard, just time consuming, just label things or mark them with a marker. Also taking pictures or drawing diagrams works well also. Just don't start unbolting stuff without having a good visual in your head of how it looks bolted up. check some of the parts as you pull them off-will they only go on one way, check wire harnesses to make sure they won't snap into another wire connector, (thats why its best to label). To put the no. 1 cylinder at TDC have someone turn over the engine until the marks line up, you can also take out the sparkplug and put your thumb over it, when the car is turned over it will push your thumb off when you reach TDC, make sure the fuel pump wire is disconnected, and the coil wire is off, battery disconected. Don't worry about it being the best environment, I have worked in watery-ice chunky puddles in the dead of the winter night with below freezing weather, and I still had fun, cause I knew the end result was worth it. Oh yeah get some old blankets to wrap over your fenders, cause its way to easy to scratch them with such an undertaking.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:43 PM

i would suggest you take pictures with a polaroid camara if you have one, but i found that if you dont number what pic you took first, and so on and so on it all goes ta hell.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:22 PM

Be sure you have all the tools you need before you start.. I didnt have a hub puller.. Heh.. And my bird is my only car.. Then just little things. Like the bolts I got with the hub puller were bent and stripped so I had to get new ones, etc...