LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Alright Gentlemen

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Alright Gentlemen

This is my 94 z28 with a 98-02 front clip on it, basic LT1, cold air intake, dual flowmaster nothing special pretty much stock. Now this brings me to my upcoming plans for it. I would like to get rid of the LT1 and upgrade to either a LS1 or a LS6, so if you all could give me your input on what you think that would be great. Also with the new engine, I would put in a bigger cam and new heads?? any ideas appreciated. Im not really planning on doing this until wayy in the future so moneys not really a problem.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Re: Alright Gentlemen

What are your goals, what is your budget, and what is your expertise in general automotive knowledge?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Like I said I don't want to start anything for a long long time so moneys not an issue, I have a full shop to do it, and my knowledge is limited but I did rebuild this car with my dad, and I also have many friends that are extremely knowledgeable about automotive technology
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM

So money isn't an issue and you have some resources. Good but what about the other question?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM

I agree with Joe that its important to share your goals or reasons to convert. I will assume its the reasons I considered it myself- they are easy to make power and alot of aftermarket parts and imo a better computer. I also assume you have attatchment to your car(again because I did- do). What it came down to me is it would be extra money and extra work to convert as well as unknowns and probably alot more research and help needed to work out bugs so getting the power out of an lt1 and keeping it in the realm of lots of people able to offer advice led me to stay. Im sure it would be easier and cheaper to just find an ls car and build it and sell yours(nice looking car)but i assume you have the attatchment.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Since it is an 18 year old car and it has had other owners that havent really cared or appreciated it like I have. I just want everything to be new since I was planning on upgrading my LT1 anyways, instead of buying parts twice I thought it would make sense to put a new engine and tranny in it and upgrade everything before I put it in. I really want to make it just a weekend/cruise car and not a dd. I would like to see it at around 700-800hp with everything done. Like I said just wanting some ideas
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by mgoering156
Since it is an 18 year old car and it has had other owners that havent really cared or appreciated it like I have. I just want everything to be new since I was planning on upgrading my LT1 anyways, instead of buying parts twice I thought it would make sense to put a new engine and tranny in it and upgrade everything before I put it in. I really want to make it just a weekend/cruise car and not a dd. I would like to see it at around 700-800hp with everything done. Like I said just wanting some ideas
First things first. To do 800whp the proper and safe way with all of the necessities is going to cost you an easy $20,000. That's twenty thousand dollars sunk into an 18 year old car worth MAYBE $4,000 as it sits ONLY to be a weekend/cruise car - not even a track-day machine.

It is easy to throw around big HP numbers so I have to ask WHY did you choose 700-800HP? Have you ever rode in a car with that much power? That much power is ridiculous on the street because traction will be non-existent.

I suggest you ride in a car with 400-450whp. That's enough to smoke 99.5% of the cars on the road today and will cost you less than half of what the next 400HP will cost.

Having said that to get to those numbers will require alot of RPM, alot of spray, or a lot of boost. Do a search on what it takes to do those things just to give you an idea of what you're in for.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 PM

I did throw that out without thinking. I have been in plenty track cars and street cars that are around that, but Id be happy with 400-500hp, because I already smash most everyone in my town with only 275hp, I was also thinking about just rebuilding the LT1 and making it capable to handle a twin screw, I just want it to be big and bad *** and a monster. It is a very special car to me because like I said I rebuilt it with my dad so even though it isnt worth an a high number, I do want to keep it as long as possible.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:27 AM

My suggestion would be to ask around some about how reliable some of the builds are as I went this approach- I whould be 385-400 at the wheels and capable of up to 200 shot of n20. At that 400 to the wheels its faster than most imports with 450-500 to the wheels. Its also very streetable and dependable and with a flick of a couple switches a bunch more power for fun. I bet Joes car (ram air) probably will pull a better time than me with less power and na(not sure how I will hook plus there comes a point were the auto just does better than the manual and im not built for drag only). There are several who run superchargers as well and I would assume thats more dependable than a turbo setup. Im sure each direction has its pros and cons. The one thing I have learned it going extreme oftem means alot of down time. My dad has a subaru that keeps lifting heads and has put down 723 all wheel hp without being at full boost or on e-85 but he has so much trouble keeping it running and only a couple of guys are capable of putting a safe, dependable, good running tune. If he ever gets the bugs worked out and can keep the head from lifting he will have something but until then he gets tons of stress and lots of money spent with little to no driving. With that said find something that is proven in the power range that you want and that can be tuned and worked on by more than one guy per coast lol. In fact if Joe reads this I would love to know how dependable your car is and how many miles you have put on your current motor.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM

I've got about 4000 miles on the current combo with probably 100 passes on the motor/trans/rear. It has never been trailered - only driven - to the strip (1 hour each way). The car itself has 120k miles on the body.

There are some creature comforts I have willingly removed (like A/C, back seats, etc.) but I don't hesitate to drive it even in the winter time (not in the snow obviously). Even my girlfriend who doesn't even like loud cars doesn't hesitate to go for drives.

I built my **** right. Only took 14 years.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info Joe. Ill reiterate one of my points. If I am spraying a 200 hp shot and have close to 400 whp that should put me over 100hp over Joes car and honestly ill bet his 1/4 mile time would beat me. Now if we started from a 60 mph roll to 150 id expext to beat him(he might not have enough gear to get there idk) I also have a friend with a subaru with 440 hp to the wheels and his best time is 12,2. My dads car should be low 10 even high 9 if it would work and got suspension right but his is always broke down and money getting pumped into it and very little enjoyment. Haha I drove mine in the snow today. I have bugs to work out on mine and if had to do it over again I would make changes. I think your starting better than me because your getting info before dropping cash. Biggest thing I wish I had done was was getting heads and cam from ai or loyd elliot as I really dont know what I have and "trusted" the engine builder.