LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

All RKsport/ AS&M header users...got some Q's for you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 09:03 PM

All RKsport/ AS&M header users...got some Q's for you.

I just installed some RK sports in my 95 vert and I have a very small leak where the two y-pipes come together right before the cat. It's right where the slip fit y piece bolts on over the two pipes. Anyone ever weld this together there? A small bead will get rid of any leaks but I wonder if I'll ever be able to take the y-pipe off then. Most other headers have a one peice y-pipe.

Also I noticed on instal that on the passenger side collector(where the primaries merge and the Y-pipe bolts up), I have about 1/8" of room between this flange and the frame . When the motor torques over it contacts the frame softly. Under hard acceleration that flange will be in contact with the frame(or k-member) and it feels like I have solid motor mounts. Will this slight vibration cause false knock?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:41 PM

about the flange hitting the frame. I had the same problem, after a while the stress from hitting the frame on the flange caused the collector gasket to leak. Therefore, I installed solid motor mounts to correct the problem, now the flange doesn't hit the frame.

Brian
Old 04-30-2004, 10:54 PM

Re: All RKsport/ AS&M header users...got some Q's for you.

Originally posted by Zedzag
I just installed some RK sports in my 95 vert and I have a very small leak where the two y-pipes come together right before the cat. It's right where the slip fit y piece bolts on over the two pipes. Anyone ever weld this together there? A small bead will get rid of any leaks but I wonder if I'll ever be able to take the y-pipe off then. Most other headers have a one peice y-pipe.

Also I noticed on instal that on the passenger side collector(where the primaries merge and the Y-pipe bolts up), I have about 1/8" of room between this flange and the frame . When the motor torques over it contacts the frame softly. Under hard acceleration that flange will be in contact with the frame(or k-member) and it feels like I have solid motor mounts. Will this slight vibration cause false knock?

Yep, my RK Sport Y-Pipe did the same thing. I couldn't get it to seal up completely so I pulled it off and hit it with my Mig welder. No more leaks and that was over 3 years ago. I've pulled the Y-pipe off a couple times since then and have never had a problem with re-alignment.

My #1 primary tube hits my steering shaft on occasion and I can see the knock counts from that on Datamaster. I've just bee too lazy to dimple the header tube to get the clearance needed lol..

Good luck.

Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 09:26 AM

as far as the knockage on the frame, what i did was just re-align and tighten the bolts on the flange that the passenger header bolts to the y-pipe short tube. there is a little play, and i mean little (maybe an 1/8") of room to reposition it. after redoing it, it didn't hit (or at least i didn't hear it at all). i would probably get a lt4 knock module just for good measure. what i might do is try and dremel off a bit of material where i think it is hitting, i haven't done this yet, but it is on my list...hopes this helps
Old 05-01-2004, 09:39 PM

I'm going to get in there with a dremel/grinder and try and clearance things up somehow. I'm sure that I'm getting alot of knock retard from the vibration.

Mikey- after welding how hard is it to remove the y-pipe now? Are the pass. side bolts easy to reach? The reason I'm asking is I havent time (or tools in my apt) to jack up and look under the car yet.