General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

header gaskets, and getting headers coated

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 PM

header gaskets, and getting headers coated

hey gang i have a header leak was gone for 3 months, now it but came back turns out my mechanic used the wrong header gaskets, he used mr.gasket ultra seal seal ones,went to a muffler shop and they told me they can fix it but they will use special ones made for headers i believe they are aluminum/copper ones made for headers.

heres a another catch they will put new bolts,change the gaskets,and get my headers coated to silver,and get the rust out too. total cost is 800 to 1000 for that work,is that too much or should i look somewhere else? ive gotten work done before by them and there reviews are prett good too. its called "The best muffler shop"

thank you guys
Old 03-16-2015, 09:14 PM

Re: header gaskets, and getting headers coated

I am header shopping and that isnt a great deal but not a terrible deal. I see it as replace gasket and go, not any where near 800$. But you getting everything done, it still seems a bit high since your supplying the headers. Also you might want to look into what kind of coating. Other guys here probably know better.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Were the Mr Gasket the ultra-seal copper? If so, why are they the "wrong ones"? Are they the D-port ones for the LT1? I've had those on my stroker for 14 years with no leaks. Sounds like the header flanges may not have been checked for flatness before they were installed.

The cost will depend on how complex the removal is (e.g. - is anything welded), how badly they are rusted, the type of coating to be used (e.g. - cera-metalic, like Jet-Hot, applied both inside and outside of tubes), whether the Y-pipe will be coated, etc.. $1,000 sounds very high. Why not do the removal and reinstall yourself?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by FredM
I am header shopping and that isnt a great deal but not a terrible deal. I see it as replace gasket and go, not any where near 800$. But you getting everything done, it still seems a bit high since your supplying the headers. Also you might want to look into what kind of coating. Other guys here probably know better.
Originally Posted by Injuneer
Were the Mr Gasket the ultra-seal copper? If so, why are they the "wrong ones"? Are they the D-port ones for the LT1? I've had those on my stroker for 14 years with no leaks. Sounds like the header flanges may not have been checked for flatness before they were installed.

The cost will depend on how complex the removal is (e.g. - is anything welded), how badly they are rusted, the type of coating to be used (e.g. - cera-metalic, like Jet-Hot, applied both inside and outside of tubes), whether the Y-pipe will be coated, etc.. $1,000 sounds very high. Why not do the removal and reinstall yourself?
hey guys thank you for the replys. FredM,the total price for gaskets,labor,and getting them coated is 800 even,

Injuneer my mechanic used the mr.gasket but not the ultra seal copper ones these ones are like paper. they are gonna use the ceramic metallic coating for mine,and they are gonna do it inside and out.,the y pipe is getting it too,and the guy mentioned too hes gonna install the ultra seal copper gasketss
Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Make sure someone checks the flanges for straightness and flatness, or even the best gaskets may not seal.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Make sure someone checks the flanges for straightness and flatness, or even the best gaskets may not seal.
thank you will do Fred i appreciate it
Old 03-20-2015, 03:03 PM

The stripping of the rust on/in the headers costs as much or more than the coating
Old 04-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Hey guys just got the car back and it's perfect way better air flow no ticks or leaks smooth as he'll thank u guys headers look beautiful
Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 AM

Nice, now you have the whole spring and summer to enjoy it. Congrats