LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Air pump fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:20 PM

Air pump fuse blows

After installing my mac headers about 300 miles ago my ses light came on. It came up with code 26 evap. purge control circuit. This seems to be working fine. I found that the fuse for the air pump was blown when i replaced the fuse the ses went out. The fuse went again and on came the ses code 26. Is my air pump the problem or should i look at something else.

Will a air pump off a 94 t/a fit a 93 t/a? There is one on ebay.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-31-2005, 03:59 PM

Re: Air pump fuse blows

Check wiring going to pump for shorts. If it checks out, pump is locked up. This is a common problem on chevy s10 blazers...I work for a dealership.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by artic white 93 t/a
Will a air pump off a 94 t/a fit a 93 t/a? There is one on ebay.

Thanks,
Rick
You can try taking your car into the dealer and see if you fall under the recall/TBS and get it fixed for free. My car fell under it but i just decided to rip it off instead.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:27 PM

Don't replace the Air pump. It's worthless. Just reach down and unplug the electrical connector from the pump, replace the fuse, and drive on. Seriously. GM wanted around $350 to replace the pump, so I found the fix on this site and it worked perfectly. All it does is blow air into the cat. converter to help it warm up.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:32 PM

When I first bought my car I didnt know anything about it but my air pump went out and spent $$$$$ fixing it. Its a worthless piece of ****ing ****!!!!!!!! I'm still upset I spent money for that instead of mods or a tune.
Chances are if the fuse keeps blowing there is water in it or its locked up. Since you are in an OBDI car you can REMOVE it toally and put a new fuse it and it wont set an SES light. However, the blown fuse will set it off.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Black1995Z
When I first bought my car I didnt know anything about it but my air pump went out and spent $$$$$ fixing it. Its a worthless piece of ****ing ****!!!!!!!! I'm still upset I spent money for that instead of mods or a tune.
Chances are if the fuse keeps blowing there is water in it or its locked up. Since you are in an OBDI car you can REMOVE it toally and put a new fuse it and it wont set an SES light. However, the blown fuse will set it off.
Did you take it to a dealer? Since you have a 95 you should of qualified for a free pump, installed by the dealer.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Black1995Z
I think it's actually just bad wiring in the pump that causes it. You can remove it, or like I said just unplug the thing.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all your help. I will unplug it and replace the fuse.

Will i pass emissions with it unpluged? Or should i find the problem and fix it right. The wires look fine, How should i go about checking the pump.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-31-2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Did you take it to a dealer? Since you have a 95 you should of qualified for a free pump, installed by the dealer.
Yup, I wish I knew about this site before I did though.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:04 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread but rather do that than start another AIR pump thread. Hears the deal. I bought a 95 Z and working through getting it back right found the pump to be faulty. So bought a new pump and during install wiring isn't the same. So searched around and found the car apparently never got the recal performed on it. The solenoid and shut off valve and jumper harness are now discontinued. Thanks GM. Question is wil the pump being installed and the selenoid and shut off missing will this cause an issue? Hate to delete T this point already bought the 200 pump!!! Please help
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Not sure why you are blaming GM for the failure of the previous owner to take it in for the recall???

Take the pump to a dealer, and tell them you want it installed along with all the other recall components, and you want a refund for the pump.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not sure why you are blaming GM for the failure of the previous owner to take it in for the recall???

Take the pump to a dealer, and tell them you want it installed along with all the other recall components, and you want a refund for the pump.
Actually Fred I called the dealership and the service department told me they don't do recall repairs on 20 year old cars and the parts department said after GM went bankrupt a lot of their suppliers did as well so the majority of older model car part suppliers do not make parts for older cars anymore. The two parts I mentioed are no longer made. Hence my question. But I went out on a limb and took it for a long drive and it seems to be fine. I'll follow up when my scanner delivers
Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Probably would have been helpful if you had included that info in the original post.

Try another dealer. You can't believe everything they tell you.

The alternative would be to get the parts from a junk yard. Shoebox has the recall diagram on his website. On the other hand, the pump does nothing after the first three minutes after a cold start. The shutoff valve was added to have a more positive way to prevent exhaust gas to flow back through the check valve, the water in the exhaust to condense out and rust out the pump, causing the pump to seize up, which blew the fuse. I think the recall also included heavier wiring and a larger fuse size.