LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 06:34 PM

Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator questions.

I just installed one, and I can't seem to hold fuel pressure with it. My question is, did anyone else have a problem getting the fuel lines back into the bracket that holds them close to the regulator? The one line hooks in a little further back than stock. Is there a way to get the line into the bracket? I think I may have a slight leak because of this.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:25 PM

My first AM FPR wouldn't hold pressure. I haven't tried the replacement yet.

Yup, its not a "bolt on". I had to use a hose clamp to keep it in place. I wrapped the fuel tube with the hose clamp and then pop-riveted the "leftover" clamp to the metal bracket. That's what I had to do on a spur of the moment.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:26 AM

Kind of makes you wonder why they sell it as "direct fit." The vacum line just bearly makes it to the fitting also after rerouting it. Does your car run okay with it not holding pressure, mine seems to start up well and I don't smell gas under the hood, but as soon as I shut the car off it goes right down, and when I turn the key on, the pressure shots up to about 40 and then immediately goes back down. Also good idea with the hose clamp, I'll do that today. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:25 AM

When I got mine, I thought they sent me the wrong one. So I sent it back and they returned it. I called aeromotive and they said they had to redesign it to what you I have now (the fat red/black model). The picture in Summit, Jegs and even their own web site still shows the old slim design that fit perfect. They told me it would fit if you tie wrap it. The output tube doesn't go under the holding strap. I noticed when I tried to install it that the output tube was very loose. You may want to check that on yours. It may be leaking. I have heard a lot of people complain about them.

I left mine off and am currently using the stock regulator. I put a fuel pressure gage in on the A pillar and noticed an idle fuel pressure of between 42 and 51 pounds. This morning when I go out, since it's very cool, the pressure will be around 51 pounds. Later today after it warms up the pressure will be around 47 pounds. I think the best way to install these is directly to the fuel rail with screw type fittings. And the same for the return line.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:13 AM

I am extremely disappointed with the Aeromotive AFPR. For $149 you would think that the product would work flawless. I had a Hypertech which was 50.00 cheaper and kept a steady fuel pressure.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:32 AM

from what ive read...........an adjustable aftermarket fuel pressure regulator is useless because the PCM will adjust the firing of the injectors anyway to go back to stock. or something like that.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by got_hp?
from what ive read...........an adjustable aftermarket fuel pressure regulator is useless because the PCM will adjust the firing of the injectors anyway to go back to stock. or something like that.
Not on a 93 car
Old 10-27-2003, 10:38 AM

If you have closed loop operation enabled then you can't tune effectively with it.

You can use it to gain more flow rate out of your injectors, and if you are FI you absolutely want a 1:1 FPR to maintain a constant delta over the injector tip
Old 11-02-2003, 10:08 PM

I also think buying this aeromotive regulator was a waste of money. My car used to start on the first crank now it takes a couple of cranks before it starts because it won't hold pressure right and I don't think its leaking either because I don't smell gas and my MPG has been okay. I think I'm gonna call Aeromotive and try to send it back and get a GM one.