LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

!ABS: Is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 02:27 PM

I'm with Fred, there is no requirement for inspection in PA and not likely to be in any other state. However your insureance company is giving your car a deduction based on the fact that you have ABS, so they might not be happy with it

Even if you not track only and drive in fair weather you will be fine. Yes ABS can stop faster in dry conditions. But if you know it's not there you can still handle the situation, it's not like the brakes perform any worse for the majority of situations. It has been documented in some rare cases like in gravel you actually stop much faster without abs. IMHO if you are driving aggressively on some back roads you can actually get a much better feel for the road and lear the actual limits of the car better. If you are a responsible defensive driver there is almost never a situation when you need abs in fair weather.

Your car will still stop/handle better than the majority of cars on the road even without abs. If your actually worried about that chance in a million that you are in an accident where ABS would have saved you versus nonabs on the same car, your not liven.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not superman, i'm not invisible, and abs is a good safety feature.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:46 PM

Anyone havea writeup on this, or could make one up real quick? And whats the cost of a proportioning valve? Pretty cheap I would guess.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Is that a specific requirement of MA? Since many cars are still sold without ABS, I'm a little perplexed on how ABS could be a requirement for passing state inspection. I know it isn't here in NJ.
I was under the impression that the law states if it came with a safety feature (air bags, abs, etc) that it cannot be removed and still pass inspection.