LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

!ABS: Is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:06 AM

!ABS: Is it possible???

Isn't the big metal thing with all the little metal hoses coming off of it the ABS box or something. I am talking about the thing that is on the drivers side of the engine bay, up by the headlight. Is that the ABS, or part of the main braking? Since my car only comes out in the summer, and never in the rain or snow, couldn;t I get rid of ABS. I mainly want to do it to clean up the engine bay though. Thanks
Old 09-19-2003, 10:12 AM

you can but you will have to get a connector for the lines
Old 09-19-2003, 10:23 AM

You do realize that abs isnt a "rain and snow" feature don't you?
I am still at a loss as to why people take it out unless its a track only car.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:26 AM

when you go for your inspection they will see that it is removed and unfunctional and then bye-bye. Also you need to remove the rotors, sensors, lines, master cylinder, and replace them.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by grygst76
when you go for your inspection they will see that it is removed and unfunctional and then bye-bye. Also you need to remove the rotors, sensors, lines, master cylinder, and replace them.
No inspection in Michigan.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:33 AM

still you will lose the abilty to brake hard without immediately locking up, one of the only functions I like about ABS other then that it's worthless IMO even though it has saved my life and car on 3 occasions. So just take it out then and see what happens when you slam the brakes, better yet just the fuse first and try it.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:48 AM

still you will lose the abilty to brake hard without immediately locking up, one of the only functions I like about ABS other then that it's worthless IMO even though it has saved my life and car on 3 occasions. So just take it out then and see what happens when you slam the brakes, better yet just the fuse first and try it.
I agree. I think some people have it in their head that they can stop better without ABS
Old 09-19-2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by ROADRAGE
I agree. I think some people have it in their head that they can stop better without ABS
When one time on dry road I had to brake hard and immediately locked 'em up and almost skidded into a person who ran out on me, yesterday some retard in a mercedez locks his up on the highway and I was only about 6 feet from him and I jammed my foot down and not one screach or skid!!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:52 PM

Oh, well nevermind then. I am sure it wouldn't be easier to stop without them, but I figured it would be the same on dry pavement. I should just make an aluminum box to go around that ugly think then.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by notstock4long
Oh, well nevermind then. I am sure it wouldn't be easier to stop without them, but I figured it would be the same on dry pavement. I should just make an aluminum box to go around that ugly think then.
GOOD MAN!! Not only have you saved your life in the case of an accident but other lives as well!!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Administrator

when you go for your inspection they will see that it is removed and unfunctional and then bye-bye.
Is that a specific requirement of MA? Since many cars are still sold without ABS, I'm a little perplexed on how ABS could be a requirement for passing state inspection. I know it isn't here in NJ.

Also you need to remove the rotors, sensors, lines, master cylinder, and replace them.
Why? I've seen several track cars converted to non-ABS by simply removing the ABS motor unit, connecting the single front line from the master cylinder to the two lines that feed the individual front brakes, and adding a proportioning valve to the single rear brake line (non-TCS cars). Why would you possibly have to "remove" the rotors, sensors, lines, master cylinder??? Makes no sense at all.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Removed my ABS last year. All I had to do was add a proportioning valve to the single rear brake line. I converted to LS1 brakes and have had no problems.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by BES-383
Removed my ABS last year. All I had to do was add a proportioning valve to the single rear brake line. I converted to LS1 brakes and have had no problems.
Cool, thanks for the info. So what does the proportioning valve do? Well, I know what it is, but why is it required? And how much did it cost, and where did you put it? Thanks man.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:56 PM

it makes it so your back brakes dont lock up and send you into a flat spin
Old 09-19-2003, 02:05 PM

my abs inop light has been on since '99 (too lazy and cheap to fix it) and i've had no prob.s w/ inspections here in Texas. just FYI.

Quick Reply: !ABS: Is it possible???