LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

??? About Heads Wapring

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Banned

??? About Heads Wapring

well i did it AGAIN last night i fu*kin forgot to turn my damn electric waterpump on again after doing some wiring that required me to have the key on so i turned the waterpump off with the switch i have mounted and i forgot to turn it back on and i went driving and got the car up to like 250* before i noticed it this is like the third time i have done this in the past month and im wondering if i should pull the heads and have them resurfaced again?

the car appears to be running fine but im not a "well i think everythings ok" kinda person.. the head gaskets are about a month and a half old and the heads were milled last time the gaskets were put on so what do u guys think? also the car never really had a major overheating scene when it got too hot but thats cause the waterpump wasnt flowing the hot coolant! it did however force about 3/4 gal of coolant each time i ran the car without the waterpump just cause of how hot it got!

thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Last winter I forgot to add coolant and one night I was leaving my parents house, the car overheated. I am like, this is the coldest night in winer, and my car is running hot. I pulled over to find ice in the radiator. I let the car run until it got hot, then let it cool a bit hoping the water in the block would eventually melt the rest. After an hour of that, I limped it back to my parents. Driving with it on for about 30 seconds and coasting till it went down enough. It saw a lot of hell that night but has given me no problems since. I spray it to and have since then. No problems.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:42 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

yea, just drive teh damn thing. if nothing is wrong, no reason to pull it appart.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Most likely it is fine, Jordon put it well.

I have a question though. Why have the pump on a manual switch? All your doing is allowing the chance to forget to turn it on, just wire it so it comes on automatically...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kmook
Most likely it is fine, Jordon put it well.

I have a question though. Why have the pump on a manual switch? All your doing is allowing the chance to forget to turn it on, just wire it so it comes on automatically...
just cause i like to turn it off when im programming the computer.. or if im doing other crap that requires me to have the ignition on but the car not on! also when im sitting in the pits waiting in line i like to warm my bottle up and not have the WP going as well! i just need to quick FORGETTING!!! im installing an autometer tri-alert so i can hook it up to my water temp guage and that way when if i forget again and the car gets to 210* my big red warning light will come on

Originally posted by JordanMusser
yea, just drive teh damn thing. if nothing is wrong, no reason to pull it appart.
aight playa just makin sure i like to be precautious and sh*t
Old 07-17-2003, 02:20 AM

Precautious.
There is a new word.
Put a sticky note on your dash soes to remind yous to turn the damn thing on.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by revtime
Precautious.
There is a new word.
Put a sticky note on your dash soes to remind yous to turn the damn thing on.
LOL
Old 07-17-2003, 02:54 AM

?

why dont you wire it into start not run, so it will only come on when you actually crank the car vs having in the run position?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:58 AM

It can be beneficial to have control over the fans so you can cool the car in the staging lanes.
You just have to remember that the you control the fans not the PCM.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Banned

Re: ?

Originally posted by RedPhenx
why dont you wire it into start not run, so it will only come on when you actually crank the car vs having in the run position?
huh well then the waterpump would only work as you crank the car! once you let off the key cyl to stop cranking then the waterpump would turn right back off! think about it, once you stop cranking, the leck cyl springs back into the RUN position