LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

97 LT1 won't start---Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:55 AM

97 LT1 won't start---Please help!

Hi all,
I have a 97 Trans Am LT1
In August I replaced the fuel pump and ICM fuel relay and crankshaft sensor I started the car last Saturday for it's weekly start and fired right up. Then stalled now won't start again, just turns over. I hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key. The original Opti is in the car, but I only have 37,000 miles on it.
I checked the fuel pressure and that seems good.
I am not very knowledgeable with checking omhs. But I put the positive on where the coil wire connects and checked the other 3 connectors I get the same reading (the dial on the omhs reader at 20k) which is 5.61
I also checked that all 3 connectors I believe I have continuity between them.
Does any of this makes sense?
Could the Opti be gone?
Is there an easy way to tell?
Is there anyone in the Windsor Ontario area that has knowledge on working on these engines?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the time.

Thanks for reading or any input.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Re: 97 LT1 won't start---Please help!

When you turn the key to "START" does the starter crank the engine?

Have you checked for spark at the coil wire? .... at the plugs?

What was the numerical value of the fuel pressure that led you to believe it "seems good"?

Have you scanned it for codes? P1371 sets when the PCM does not see the low resolution signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. When the code sets, shuts down the fuel system (still allows two second "prime" when key turned to "RUN"), and the ignition. That code does not turn on the SES light.

When the starter is cranking the engine, does the tach needle move upwards in the 200 to 300 RPM range. If it doesn't, it's pointing to the low resolution cam position sensor failure.

What led you to replace the crankshaft position sensor? It is only there for misfire detection, and is not required to run the engine.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM

When you turn the key to "START" does the starter crank the engine? The engine cranks over, just won't fire up

Have you checked for spark at the coil wire? .... at the plugs? I checked for spark at the plug and no spark

What was the numerical value of the fuel pressure that led you to believe it "seems good"? the fuel pressure is at 41psi when I was when i hooked it up after cranking it over and after relieving the pressure

Have you scanned it for codes? P1371 sets when the PCM does not see the low resolution signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. When the code sets, shuts down the fuel system (still allows two second "prime" when key turned to "RUN"), and the ignition. That code does not turn on the SES light.I have the Blue Driver code reader that goes on my phone, and no codes came up other than the code telling me the MAF sensors were unplugged

Thank you for the reply

When the starter is cranking the engine, does the tach needle move upwards in the 200 to 300 RPM range. If it doesn't, it's pointing to the low resolution cam position sensor failure.

What led you to replace the crankshaft position sensor? It is only there for misfire detection, and is not required to run the engine

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you turn the key to "START" does the starter crank the engine? The engine cranks over, just won't fire up

Have you checked for spark at the coil wire? .... at the plugs? I checked for spark at the plug and no spark

What was the numerical value of the fuel pressure that led you to believe it "seems good"? the fuel pressure is at 41psi when I was when i hooked it up after cranking it over and after relieving the pressure

Have you scanned it for codes? P1371 sets when the PCM does not see the low resolution signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. When the code sets, shuts down the fuel system (still allows two second "prime" when key turned to "RUN"), and the ignition. That code does not turn on the SES light.I have the Blue Driver code reader that goes on my phone, and no codes came up other than the code telling me the MAF sensors were unplugged

Thank you for the reply

What led you to replace the crankshaft position sensor? It is only there for misfire detection, and is not required to run the engine.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Administrator

What about the 2 questions you didn't answer?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What about the 2 questions you didn't answer?
Sorry

When the starter is cranking the engine, does the tach needle move upwards in the 200 to 300 RPM range. If it doesn't, it's pointing to the low resolution cam position sensor failure. Thati I don't know I have the coil out now and can't check. But I plan putting it back on tonight I hope.

In August before I found out it was the fuel pump I did a read with the code reader and there was a code that said to replace it so I did.

Thanks again
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM

So I bought a new coil and compared the 2ohm readings
Old 5.16
New 8.03.

So I guess that might be the issue?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 PM

It was the coil