LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94 lt1 pcv valve question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

94 lt1 pcv valve question

I swapped a 94 z28 lt1 into my 87 blazer and there are lil poofs of smoke coming out of the passenger side valve cover lil pcv/breather grommet....
like i said its a 94 so the pcv valve is the lil horseshoe deal on the driverside of the intake... and i don't believe there was ever anything in the passenger side hole.... should there be? i've searched but didn't see anything, does it need to go to the throttle body like the 95 - 97? what about a breather? is it supposed to be puffing/venting smoke?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM

I really hope its not as bad as it could be BUT! My LT1 T/A started to blow puffs of smoke out of the PCV hole. I didn't think much of it at first. Eventually it started to blow the PCV valve right out of the hole. Then a few weeks later I was blowing smoke out of the exhaust and im sure you know what that means. Turns out I had a few broken rings and I was getting too much blow-by. It might be time for a rebuild. I really hope its something else, for your sake but thats what happened to me.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 PM

EEK well, its not the pcv hose exactly... meaning its not the hole that the pcv valve sits in... its the hole on the passenger side valve cover... and right now theres not anything in mine... should a 94 have anything in that side? or is that the side u are talking about? thats something i really....... really dont wanna hear i j/ had to replace some cracked heads due to a fuel rail bolt falling in an injector hole and having its way w/ my motor... it left some indention in 2 pistons and i found it stuck in an open valve... i imagine u are talking about the piston rings when u say broken rings, and when i had the motor apart i checked w/my hands to see if there was any play in the pistons and there was very minimal, dunno if thats anyway to check or not though.....
i also seem to have a small missfire which doesn't seem small w/ open headers lol... but it seems to go away after the motor is warm, fyi i was planning on getting the exhaust welded tomorrow but dunno if i should waste my time/money now....and i juuuuuuustttttttt got it running. the oil pressure tends to get low 10 -15 after i drive it a lil... i've j/ driven it up and down the street, j/ got tags for it today... it starts and idles when cold at about 40 psi
i've got 5w30 in it...blah
Old 04-03-2007, 07:17 PM

IT sounds like blow by to me. Maybe run a comp check on it.
Brandon
Old 04-03-2007, 07:33 PM

what would i look for in a computer check????
is there supposed to be a hose in that grommet...94 lt1 passenger side valvecover
Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM

I think he meant compression check. Not Computer check...

There should be a hose running from about 2/3 way back on the pass side valve cover and going to the pass side of the throttle body...

I think that's what you're talking about...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 PM

hey, I have a 94 LT1 in my 90 full size Blazer, lol
Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by lt1s10blazer
I swapped a 94 z28 lt1 into my 87 blazer and there are lil poofs of smoke coming out of the passenger side valve cover lil pcv/breather grommet....
like i said its a 94 so the pcv valve is the lil horseshoe deal on the driverside of the intake... and i don't believe there was ever anything in the passenger side hole.... should there be? i've searched but didn't see anything, does it need to go to the throttle body like the 95 - 97? what about a breather? is it supposed to be puffing/venting smoke?
Yes it should have a hose that goes from the vent to the port on the passenger side of the TB, above where the PURGE system goes.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 PM

Listen. Any smoke comming from any hole on your valve covers indicates something is wrong. You mention a misfire. Could be many things but with the smoke puffing out of your valve cover that might illiminate opti- spark issues. If its not too hard to do, get a comp. test done. I don't wanna diagnose your engine dead because im not there. Do a comp test, it will tell you alot.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM

DAVE89IROC I think i've seen you on the s10forum maybe? my name is 87shown'go could somebody do me a favor and pull that hose off and see if the motor blows some steam or smoke or whatever? when running..I j/found that hose in a bucket of extra parts... yes i have a whole bucket, a big one...lol and i can't start it right now being that its 11:23 and i have open headers...there are new heads on there should that make a difference? w/ the valves seating? or the new valve spring seals, anything? i would think that if that hole was uncapped the way it was that it would make sense for it to vent something out because of the pressure in the crankcase, i've never really ran into something like this.... i hope things aren't as bad as they seem, i've put 2 much time and money in it j/ now to have something going wrong w/ the bottom end..... so much for ebay motors.... it's only supposed to have around 60k on it....
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 AM

I've never done a compression test, i guess i need some kind of gauge? that maybe goes inside the spark plug holes? or am i completely off?? theres a car show here this weekend, pretty much the biggest of the year in my town and i was hoping i was ready for it so im kinda bummed/nervous/stressed about it.... so what's the worse case scenario w/ bad rings??:blah:
Old 04-04-2007, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by lt1s10blazer
DAVE89IROC I think i've seen you on the s10forum maybe? my name is 87shown'go could somebody do me a favor and pull that hose off and see if the motor blows some steam or smoke or whatever? when running..I j/found that hose in a bucket of extra parts... yes i have a whole bucket, a big one...lol and i can't start it right now being that its 11:23 and i have open headers...there are new heads on there should that make a difference? w/ the valves seating? or the new valve spring seals, anything? i would think that if that hole was uncapped the way it was that it would make sense for it to vent something out because of the pressure in the crankcase, i've never really ran into something like this.... i hope things aren't as bad as they seem, i've put 2 much time and money in it j/ now to have something going wrong w/ the bottom end..... so much for ebay motors.... it's only supposed to have around 60k on it....
I'm 04 Xtreme on S10forum, If I get a change today, I'll pull the hose off, mine has around 90K miles on it