LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

93 z28 maf conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM

93 z28 maf conversion

hi, im currently in the market for a cheap, decent running z28, and i came across a '93 with a 6 speed (i dont like auto), for about 1 grand less than the normal prices i see for 94+. From what ive seen, the 93 uses speed density fuel management, which doesnt respond to intake upgrades, which i plan on doing. the only way ill buy the car is if i can convert it to maf fuel management. does anybody know if anything special is involved in doing such an upgrade? i know i need a 94+ ecu and maf sensor, which i can get cheaply enough, but what else would i need? and is there any labor involved that i couldnt do myself?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 AM

To convert to MAF you'll need a 94+ PCM and engine harness, MAF sensor, new CAI or equivalent, 94+ fuel rails and injectors (93 injectors are batch fire and 22#, 94+ are sequential and 24#), figure out how to run the fuel lines to work with the 94+ rails, heated O2s (93s use single wire non-heated O2s), among a few other minor things that I can't think of off the top of my head.

The big thing here is the fuel rails. The hydraulics of the fuel rail on the 93 won't equal that of the 94s designed for sequential and not batch fire. There will likely be a pressure differential. This may or may not cause an issue, but it's not something you want to find out after it's all said and done. To further complicate things, the 93 fuel rails (and intake manifold) do not have the fuel crossover and provision in the front (like the 94s). You can use 93+ fuel rails on a 94 intake manifold, but not the other way around, not without cutting off the fuel rail crossover, welding on a fitting, and using fuel line to connect the two to clear the manifold.

You can see that in order to do it right, one problem cascades to the next. It may or may not be worth your while.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
To convert to MAF you'll need a 94+ PCM and engine harness, MAF sensor, new CAI or equivalent, 94+ fuel rails and injectors (93 injectors are batch fire and 22#, 94+ are sequential and 24#), figure out how to run the fuel lines to work with the 94+ rails, heated O2s (93s use single wire non-heated O2s), among a few other minor things that I can't think of off the top of my head.

The big thing here is the fuel rails. The hydraulics of the fuel rail on the 93 won't equal that of the 94s designed for sequential and not batch fire. There will likely be a pressure differential. This may or may not cause an issue, but it's not something you want to find out after it's all said and done. To further complicate things, the 93 fuel rails (and intake manifold) do not have the fuel crossover and provision in the front (like the 94s). You can use 93+ fuel rails on a 94 intake manifold, but not the other way around, not without cutting off the fuel rail crossover, welding on a fitting, and using fuel line to connect the two to clear the manifold.

You can see that in order to do it right, one problem cascades to the next. It may or may not be worth your while.
well, they have the same heads, dont they? so i could just take a 94 intake manifold on put it on? and to be honest, its probably not worth the trouble, but finding a decent car with a 6 speed seems way too difficult around here, so i may end up doing it anyway.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by rv93
well, they have the same heads, dont they? so i could just take a 94 intake manifold on put it on? and to be honest, its probably not worth the trouble, but finding a decent car with a 6 speed seems way too difficult around here, so i may end up doing it anyway.
Sure, you can put a 94+ manifold on and use the 94+ injectors/fuel rail. That's the easiest, most straight-forward way to do it. I wasn't sure if you wanted to get that involved.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Sure, you can put a 94+ manifold on and use the 94+ injectors/fuel rail. That's the easiest, most straight-forward way to do it. I wasn't sure if you wanted to get that involved.
well, doesnt sound too hard to me. i found some ported manifolds on ebay for under $200, and fuel rails r cheap enough, only thing is a new set of injectors is like $350. if i can get a set of used ones, itd b pretty cheap.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:19 PM

well, doesnt sound too hard to me. i found some ported manifolds on ebay for under $200, and fuel rails r cheap enough, only thing is a new set of injectors is like $350. if i can get a set of used ones, itd b pretty cheap.
You have no need for a ported manifold yet. If you have a hogged out manifold on stock heads, you can potentially lose some power. If you look hard enough, you can probably find someone selling a complete intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors for a decent price.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM

You have no need for a ported manifold yet. If you have a hogged out manifold on stock heads, you can potentially lose some power. If you look hard enough, you can probably find someone selling a complete intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors for a decent price.
yeah, i wasnt planning on getting a ported manifold, but i assume if ported is under $200, stock cant be expensive. and im actually thinking about dropping this project, because i could save a lot of money by buying a roller car, and then an engine and transmission separate. thats a different thread tho, lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM

yeah, i wasnt planning on getting a ported manifold, but i assume if ported is under $200, stock cant be expensive. and im actually thinking about dropping this project, because i could save a lot of money by buying a roller car, and then an engine and transmission separate. thats a different thread tho, lol.
Where do you live? I might have a roller for you if you're on the east coast. PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Where do you live? I might have a roller for you if you're on the east coast. PM me if you're interested.
im in the midwest, sorry. theres a 94 roller around for $350. i gotta check that out. no trouble finding an engine, but havent found a transmission yet.