LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

93 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM

93 questions

I just picked up a 93 auto trans am hardtop in PPM. Needs work. Here's my questions:

1) Can the 93 fuel rail bolt onto the 94 intake? Or are the bolt holes different as well? I understand the crossover would be an issue if it was reversed. I have my old 94 intake that would be ported out if I can use it.

2) throttle body linkage is different, can the linkages be swapped, has anyone done this? I have a spare throttle body from a 96. Again, I could have it ported out and swap linkages.

3) 2nd to 3rd WOT shift point. I have swapped out governor springs in my old 89 GTA. Seems the 4L60e 2/3 wot shift is higher than the non-e. That is my question, is it higher in the E?

4) Is trans go the best shift kit? I was thinking about installing a manual valve body just for something different this time around. Can someone give me better imput based on experience? I understand I have to upshift every time, is downshifting the same?

5) headers: are their adapters to run later headers with 93 air tubes?
Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Re: 93 questions

1 - not sure the crossover at the back would clear. Give it a try.

2 - if you don’t go with the manual valve body, you need the connection on the 93 TB for the TV cable. Should be a way to remove the blades and pull the shaft out. Take a look at your 96. You would need to keep the 93 base plate with the IAC valve, because 93 IAC/connector is different than 94-97.

3 - 4L60E shift points are controlled by PCM, based on a table of RPM vs. TPS%. No idea about the springs.

4 - no idea on the best shift kit. W/ my TH400 Manual, reverse pattern valve body, you have to shift both up and down. And there is no compression braking on decel.

5 - the driver side header AIR connection appears to be in the same location, 93 and 94/95. Not sure about 96/97. But the rubber connector between the main pipe and the check valve gives some flexibility. EGR connection on the back of the manifolds look the same. Problem is the 93 threaded AIR/EGR connection at the rear of the 93 passenger side manifold. The AIR got moved toward the front of the later manifolds. Not aware of an adapter to mate the threaded 93 pipe to the single bolt flange EGR connection at the back of later manifolds. But with headers you could probably get someone to fabricate a threaded "extension" to weld to the #8 primary. Just a guess.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM

1. It appears the fuel rails would fit from 1993 to 1994
2. The 1993 throttle body is vehicle specific as Injuneer said. I have a new in the box BBK 1540 52mm I'll give you a deal.
3. The '93 4l60 is non electronic, you can change the weights like the '89.
4. I probably wouldn't run the manual valve body, but I do run a modified Transgo kit from Dana at ProBuilt automatics. He can tell you what you need https://www.700r4l60e.com/
5. I thought most people removed all the air stuff when it came to headers.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:51 PM

XJS, Pm me about the throttle body. I'm interested.

The springs I knew would work, I'm just curious about the factory shift points on a 93. They seem low. Feels like 4500 or so on the 2-3 wot upshift. As or the headers, I don't have luck with eluding anyone so a fully functioning set of headers in smog **** cali/usa will let me sleep at night. Anyone know anyone selling some Mac mids?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 PM

The are low being stock, adjust the t/v cable. I set mine for max pressure. Remove the cover by the, 1 screw at the throttle body. Find the lock button where the cable goes in and mark the cable so you have a reference point. Push the button and slide the cable out 1 click or 1/8". Drive the car normal and observe the 1-2 shift. Move the cable, check the shift, repeat. It will reach a point of not wanting to shift from 1-2. At that point move it back in 1 click. Now you can do a WOT run to see where the shift points are, raising them has to be done by the governor, lighter springs.