LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

383 won't start - fuel fouling the plugs - PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 12:01 PM

Angry 383 won't start - fuel fouling the plugs - PLEASE HELP!!!

O.K. - This is a branch off my last post about my no-fire problem -

Here is what I have done so far.....

1 - checked codes - none present.

2 - checked fuel delivery - getting plenty of fuel.

3 - checked spark - pulled off the wires - and I am getting spark to the plugs - nice and blue

4 - checked spark plugs - dripping wet!!!!!!!!!! - no fire marks at all - I don't think they have ever actually fired.

5- checked compression - good - even compression - (a little low - but I think it's from the fuel washing out the oil off the cylinder walls.)

I pulled and cleaned all plughs and cleaned them, re-installed them - same thing - nothing - pulled them back out - dripping wet AGAIN! So I pulled the old ac delcos off the old lt1 and installed them (just to see what happened) - same thing - nothing! pulled them back out - dripping wet!

So - here's my question - if I am getting all 3 - spark, fuel, and compression - shouldn't it fire? The ONLY thing I can think it could be is a internal problem in the opti - throwing the timing off - because the only way the plughs would be that fouled would be because the spark is not coming at the correct time - causing no detonation. Or possibly an injector sticking - but I can't see all 8 sticking!

Please help - thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul
Old 01-28-2003, 12:44 PM

I'll tell you my experience this past week-end.

Car in sig.........it turned and turned a backfire here and there. Checked my fuel injector wires, (93's dont have a marking) but I managed to set them the way they should be. It turned and turned, never did it fire. I began to pissed, but did not panic. Checked wire routings next.....all of the wires on the left bank were in the wrong place. (friend did that part) but that is another story. Fixed that......it turned and it turned but showed some signs of wanting to fire. Finally, i helped it by pressing the gas pedal. IT FIRED!!! After about 6 tries it actually began to idle right. It would die if i let go of the gas pedal, but I guess if finally learned and the idle is now fine.....................

All I am trying to say is that either your fuel injector or spark plugs are firing at the wrong time. Check your injectors, and wire routings.

It should fire soon.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:53 PM

Man, I hope it starts soon - It's killin me to have it down so long...

I'll check those and let ya know - thanks for the advice.

Paul
Old 01-28-2003, 01:04 PM

I agree.

Make sure you didn't mix up the fuel injector wires.

Also put the plug in the wire and hold it to a chassis ground and turn over the car. See if the plug sparks. Hold it with something insulated.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:27 PM

One more thing.

Have you recently pulled and reinstalled the opti?

Even though the splined shaft on the the back of the opti "should" only go in 1 way, it actually can be installed wrong. It wont fit quite as easily, but it will fit inocorretly.

This will throw your timing way off and not allow the car to start, even though your getting spark and fuel.

That's exactly what happened to me last time I rebuilt the motor. I spend weeks trying to figure out the problem. Finally, I reinstalled the shaft/pin correctly and she fired right up.

Good luck finding (and fixing) the problem...

BTW, I beleive 93s are batch fire, so it should not matter which clip you have on any of the injectors. The later years OBD1 cars my be sequential, dunno..

Last edited by speedmiser; 01-28-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:28 PM

Not to sound elementary... but the one thing you didn't mention was air flow.... make sure your air filter isn't clogged...
Old 01-28-2003, 01:39 PM

Thanks for all the info - Yes - I did recently take the opti off and re-install it - this all stems off my 383 project - I finally got it done and am in the process of getting it going, so it has never actually ran.

I cannot tell you about how it went on - I am having a friend of mine help and while I was installing the mac torque arm, he was putting on the opti, plugs, wires, exc... but it all looked good when I did see it before I installed the water pump.

The opti has never gave me a minuites trouble before this. and I am fairly sure it never got wet.... so I don't know.

On the air delivery - I have a 10 lb vortech supercharger bolted on - so I think it is most likely getting good air flow.

Thanks for the info everyone......

Paul