LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1995 z28 shutting off at idle

Old 07-12-2017, 01:31 PM

1995 z28 shutting off at idle

So the other day I went out to drive my Camaro and it wouldn't start like it normally does. I turned the key about 4 times before it started. It drove and ran fine after it started. Then later that afternoon I went to get gas and as I put it in drive to leave the pump it shut off but started right up. Then today I went to drive it and it fired up and ran great but as I pulled into my yard and it was idling it shut off and fired right back up then shut off again and took about four times to start back up. Does anyone have any clue what could be going on!? Please help!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Re: 1995 z28 shutting off at idle

Could be fuel, could be spark. Check the fuel pressure. Have the ICM tested, making sure the shop heats if up good first. And, scan the PCM for codes. There are codes, like DTC 16 for failure of the Optispark low resolution cam position signal, that shut down the engine, but don't turn on the SES light.

Scanning a 95, with the OBD-1 PCM, but an OBD-2 style 16-pin ALDL connector can be a problem. Here's one solution, if you are not already aware of it:

Courtesy of Shoebox
http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

Search this Thread