LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help!!! 1994 z28 camaro cranks strong but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Help!!! 1994 z28 camaro cranks strong but wont start

I have a 1994 z28 camaro that i had for about 2 years i bought it off someone not running, i got the car running 2 month ago and it was because it needed a computer and a fuel pump, once i got those it started right up, so a few weeks later i had no gas so i left it park for 2 months, after the 2 months i finnally got gas and it didnt start i figure it was the distibutor so i bought one and the car still doesnt start it cranks very strong but doesnt turn over , and also my negating black wire that goes to the battery keep getting very hot it smoke and melt the plastic guard that guards it.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Re: Help!!! 1994 z28 camaro cranks strong but wont start

Not likely to get a response in the "...... Podcast" forum. Let's move this to "LT1 Based Engine Tech".

At any point have you scanned it for codes, or checked the fuel pressure? Have you checked for spark at the plugs while cranking?

Check the negative battery terminal for corrosion. High resistance, couple with high amps can cause it to get hot. May also be reducing power to the ignition to keep it from firing. When the starter is cranking, what is the voltage on the dash gauge?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not likely to get a response in the "...... Podcast" forum. Let's move this to "LT1 Based Engine Tech".

At any point have you scanned it for codes, or checked the fuel pressure? Have you checked for spark at the plugs while cranking?

Check the negative battery terminal for corrosion. High resistance, couple with high amps can cause it to get hot. May also be reducing power to the ignition to keep it from firing. When the starter is cranking, what is the voltage on the dash gauge?
i check everything and it checks out fine except for the voltage it doesnt move when cranking
Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Damien Usmcorps
i check everything and it checks out fine except for the voltage it doesnt move when cranking
So you are saying you checked the fuel pressure, and it met specifications.... could you tell us what the pressure was in PSI when the starter was cranking the engine? And you scanned it for codes with an OBD-1 scanner, and there were no codes?

And you are indicating the dash volt meter needle does not move at all, staying at the bottom of the gauge, pointing at the ”8"? If that's the case, you may not have enough voltage for the PCM, ignition system, and fuel pump to operate correctly.

But when you checked the negative cable and battery terminal, there was no sign of corrosion? Sure sounds like whatever is causing the battery cable to overheat is causing the excessive voltage loss.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
So you are saying you checked the fuel pressure, and it met specifications.... could you tell us what the pressure was in PSI when the starter was cranking the engine? And you scanned it for codes with an OBD-1 scanner, and there were no codes?

And you are indicating the dash volt meter needle does not move at all, staying at the bottom of the gauge, pointing at the ”8"? If that's the case, you may not have enough voltage for the PCM, ignition system, and fuel pump to operate correctly.

But when you checked the negative cable and battery terminal, there was no sign of corrosion? Sure sounds like whatever is causing the battery cable to overheat is causing the excessive voltage loss.
its 40 psi and when i try scanning for codes it says vechicle not responding and its been doing that for 2 years it just doesnt read, the voltage isnt on 8 but its between 8 and the orange line or orange scalld area not sure what its call.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:14 AM
Administrator

What scanner are you using?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 AM

Verified voltage with a meter at the battery and also fuse panel?