LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1994 z28 does not start but "clicks" no security light

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:01 AM

Re: 1994 z28 does not start but "clicks" no security light

Ya just from the big terminal that has the positive bat cable on it to the little one that has a purple wire on it that engages the solenoid when you turn the key.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM

Use an insulated tool, wrap in elec. tape or rubber. DO NOT touch the tool on something metal unless you like smashing your head off the floor boards when it sparks like a ****. A junkyard starter can be had for like 25 bucks and a solonoid from Autozone can be yours for around 40. No need to buy one from the dealership.

My 2 cents.

Charlie
Old 02-10-2006, 05:19 PM

you mean use a tool to jump it? or the tools i use to run the wire to jump it just make sure there insulated
Old 02-10-2006, 06:44 PM

You can buy a cheap tool called a "remote starter switch" that is used for testing and/or bumping the engine over for adjusting valves. It just clips onto the two posts and lets you engage the starter with a button. A safe way to do it.
The junkyard method is just to short a screwdriver across the posts. Quick and dirty. It pits the posts a little because of the arcing.

Last edited by shoebox; 02-10-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM

What others have said, do not touch any other metal when you jump it. I forgot to disconnect the battery, and I touched the ratchet against the floor when I took mine out. That was spark city, ended up welding a little bit of the ratchet to the floor and had to yank on it to get it lose. Also, if you are taking the starter out, you might need to take the pan protecting the flywheel off. I had a fun time trying to jigsaw the starter around the fuel lines and flywheel. Mine didn't click continuously it just clicks once and stops. After I took the starter out, and took it apart I found a bunch of gummy looking stuff in there (almost like someone literally stuck chewing gum in there).

But I narrowed my problem down to having a well charged battery. If it's fully charged it starts everytime, but when it drains down it'll click once or twice.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:47 AM

thx im gonna pick up the tool if i see it at autozone or pepboys today because i have to go there for some stuff anyway ill let you guys know how it comes out today thx again fellaz
Old 02-11-2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bstieboydp
you mean use a tool to jump it? or the tools i use to run the wire to jump it just make sure there insulated
The object is to use a wire to "bridge" the two terminals. I have done it with a box end wrench wrapped in electrical tape though (I wouldnt suggest this). Just make sure the tools you use are taped up and you wont have much of a problem.

Charlie
Old 02-11-2006, 12:17 PM

quick update jacked up the car alil bit and had my buddy try to crank it while i knocked the starter with a hammer lightly. no go but i did notice that the loud clank/click noise is coming from what seems to be the starter/starter selonoid direction so im allittle relieved that it seems to def be a starter issue i picked up a haynes manual today and im thinking about swapping the starter myself its on sale (ac delco rebuilt) at a local auto parts store for 90 bucks! with core exchange so it wouldnt be so horrible if i swapped it out and it turned out to be something else at least the starter does look corroded and probably is the original one. funny cause it had a lil sticker on it that said dont hit me with a hammer lol
Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 PM

Make certain that your battery is fully charged
Old 02-11-2006, 12:50 PM

batt fully charged brand new red top optima, im thinking of ordering it for the 100 bucks and having it done at a place my friend knows the guy said its about 100 dollar job
Old 02-11-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bstieboydp
quick update jacked up the car alil bit and had my buddy try to crank it while i knocked the starter with a hammer lightly. no go but i did notice that the loud clank/click noise is coming from what seems to be the starter/starter selonoid direction so im allittle relieved that it seems to def be a starter issue i picked up a haynes manual today and im thinking about swapping the starter myself its on sale (ac delco rebuilt) at a local auto parts store for 90 bucks! with core exchange so it wouldnt be so horrible if i swapped it out and it turned out to be something else at least the starter does look corroded and probably is the original one. funny cause it had a lil sticker on it that said dont hit me with a hammer lol

The loud clack is your solenoid. It uses an eletric current to pull back on the starter gears(meshs them with the flywheel), but if it wont fully engage(sticky, worn out or just plain old), it wont get far enough to touch the positve cable and your starter wont spin. If mine wont start with the jumper method, then i have to take out the starter, take off the solenoid and spray some cleaner on it and move the plunger back and forth.

LOL i need to just buy a whole new unit.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:47 PM

thx good to be re-assured its def the selanoid yea still cant get it started i would love to get it started just once so i can drive to to the local mechanic shop and have him put on the starter but i guess im going to have to wait for the weather to clear up and just do it myself (6-12 inches of snow coming my way tonight) it seems like the starter wont make its way out thought being that the stock y-pipe is in the way as well as the fuel lines? is it possible but tricky? or just impossible i dont wanna start a project and have to give up on it i guess lol thx guys
Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 PM

Ive always had headers so im not sure there, but the fuel lines are no where near the starter. The tanny coolant lines are though, but those can be pushed aside enough the get the starter out. Once the car is jacked up it wont take me even 5 mins to get the starter out. I leave the tranny dust pan on also. Just take out the two bolts that hold it, then drop it down and take off the two bolts holding the wires in place and your good to go.

I would try taking the solenoid off and cleaning it, the re-installing everything, if it doesnt work then, i would look into getting a whole new starter.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:21 PM

tranny lines are whats there . and as far as the ypipe it is like directly below the starter.. still nto sure if im gonna try it but i guess ti wont hurt as soon as i get weather ican stand in for more then 20 minutes w.out frostbite
Old 02-11-2006, 02:44 PM

ordered complete rebuilt ac delco starter for 100 bucks w. tax at aid auto after the storm passes over ill try the swap and if all else fails ill have to bite the bullet get it towed and have a shop do it hopefully thats my problem thx guys ill let u know

Quick Reply: 1994 z28 does not start but "clicks" no security light