LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1993 lt1, new msd opti spark and new time cover seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

1993 lt1, new msd opti spark and new time cover seals

my 2 year old opti just went out AGAIN, and i am replacing it with a new MSD opti spark, i will be doing it myself this time, i took all of the parts off right now (WP, WP seal, crank pulley and hub, old opti) and am planning on replacing the seals, is there a seal for the opti on 1993 non vented ones? how can i get the timing of the opti right, i did open my old one before i removed it and marked the location of the rotor, new MSD comes completely assembled, so do i have to open it and make sure the rotor is in the right location, is there an easier method?
any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Re: 1993 lt1, new msd opti spark and new time cover seals

If you are doing timing cover seal if you didn't change your timing chain I think might as well it is open and just do it
I did that to my 94 z before I did the as you did I reopened the msd opti and sealed with silicon it is always Better
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Unless you've already purchased the MSD opti, I would suggest you consider going with AC Delco or Delphi.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM

This is how you index a spline drive opti.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Administrator

You should open your shiny, new MSD Opti (and any other brand Opti) and loc-tite the rotor screws, or you'll be back here in a few weeks asking why your engine is misfiring or won't run.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BTC
Unless you've already purchased the MSD opti, I would suggest you consider going with AC Delco or Delphi.
Exactly you get what you pay for! Delphi made them for GM any ways yet you can get a Delphi opti much cheaper than an AC Delco opti...just sayin!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM

does anybody know how to install front crank oil seal, is there a tool out there?? plus am planning on using otvc spark plug wires, this is the first time am changing the plugs on my 93 z28 so any advice on how to do it. is there a complete posting on how to do this??

Last edited by anmar A; 05-14-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Question Re: 1993 lt1, new msd opti spark and new time cover seals

any help?? any one, is there anybody who change their front crank seal on lt1 engine, and used otvc spark plug wires who can help me out
Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM

The crank seal must go on straight, flat and true. There are seal installer tools, but most probably just use a block of wood and a hammer. Sometimes it is difficult to get started. Going straight on is the most important part. If the seal gets bent, it is ruined.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM

thnx for the reply i think that is the problem too it is very hard to install this seal without a tool so i bought KM J-35468 Timing Cover Aligner & Seal Installer, hope this will make it easier to install, am planning on redoing it this weekend hopefully get the tool and the new seal shipped by then, as well as my over the valve cover spark wire kit and start driving my car again. prob thinking for the next is to put a cat back maybe borla, and i would've change to long tube headers but heard it is very difficult to do, it took me 8 hours to change my exhaust manifold to pacesetter headers on my 2004 monte carlo.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 PM

BTC... Are you recommending against the MSD?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM

gce I would say he is. The ac delco and delphi tend to last the longest and have the fewest issues.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by GCEZ28
BTC... Are you recommending against the MSD?
I don't have any personal experience with their optispark. I considered buying one several years ago when I pulled my car out of storage and began the arduous task of getting it running. In hindsight, I'm glad I let myself be talked out of buying one in favor of an OEM(Delco/Delphi) opti.

I also have over the valve cover wires. I guess they are supposed to be nice if you have headers, but I'm not sure I would do it again. I would probably just route the wires under the headers and use as many zip ties as necessary to secure them. I used all MSD components, plus Made For You looms, and measured and made my own wires. It's not really that difficult.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM

After going through 2 OEM optis I decided on the MSD. Remember, this is a 93 & 94 and is not vented. The MSD is vented AND has and adjustable spark advance. The MSD woke up my LT1.... Now, maybe my old unit was really weak, I don't know but I do know that the seat of the pants feel was a huge surprise! Sadly I had an oil seal leak after installation and it got into the MSD unit and rendered it useless. But MSD replaced it under warranty and life was good again. I would recommend the MSD Optispark over the OEM.
And anmar A... be real careful with the seals. There are post here somewhere dealing with the seals in the timing cover. And yes, replace the timing chain. The Cloyes C-3228 is the OEM that everyone seams to like. Cheap and reliable.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Cool Re: 1993 lt1, new msd opti spark and new time cover seals

i will be working on my car this weekend, i replaced all of the three seals, so planning on putting everything back together. why should i be replacing the timing chain, my car has only 116K miles on it.
i dont think there would be any hp gain out of changing the timing chain??

Quick Reply: 1993 lt1, new msd opti spark and new time cover seals