LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

***URGENT, NEED HELP car won't start, have explored multiple possibilities!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:05 PM

***URGENT, NEED HELP car won't start, have explored multiple possibilities!

95 T/A

every time I try to start it, the tach jumps up and down between 0 and 1000 rpm, even though the motor never fires up to crank anywhere near that speed, and it doesn't start. I've checked for spark on plugs and coil, they're both fine. I swapped my ignition control module with a friends and it still wouldn't start. We've checked all grounds (battery to block, ignition ctrl module to frame, and battery to frame), still won't start. We took all the spark plugs out and cleaned them for carbon--no change. When I turn the key over, we get normal fuel pressure above 40 psi, but when it cranks, the gauge spazzes out between 20 and 50 or 60 psi, VERY quickly. This leads me to believe the PCM is telling the fuel pump to do crazy things. What on earth is the problem? All engine fuses remain intact.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:31 PM

Re: ***URGENT, NEED HELP car won't start, have explored multiple possibilities!

UPDATE:

I got it to start, though it ran pretty bad with backfiring. It threw codes:

CODE 42 - EST (Electronic Spark Timing) ground

CODE 36 - Hi-res fail

*Note:
36 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - burn off circuit problem
OR Transmission shift problem
OR Direct Ignition System (DIS) fault - extra or missing pulses in Electronic Spark Timing (EST) signal

Is something wrong in the EST system telling me that the opti is bad? I've checked all the connections on and near the ignition control module and coil--everything's tight. My main question is: is EST indicative of optispark problems?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:43 PM

Re: ***URGENT, NEED HELP car won't start, have explored multiple possibilities!

Your spazing tach sounds like either the connection to the battery is bad or the battery itself is shot. Many vehicles will have results with the tach shooting up with a problem like that. My 99 truck and my 94 Z have both done it.

A 42 refers to the signal from the PCM to the ICM on the white wire. It is shorted to ground. Trace it from the ICM to the PCM.

The 36 refers to the high resolution feedback signal from the optical encoder inside the distributor. It is on a purple/white wire from the opti to the PCM. Since both of these wires are near each other and go to the same PCM connector (black connector) chances are good they both got pinched or less likely burned and either are broken or grounded to the engine.