LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Y-pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:55 PM

Y-pipe??

Is there any after market y-pipe supplier other than Kooks that makes a y-pipe that has cats and will bolt up to the Kooks long tube headers for an LS1 Car? It’s just that $515 + tax and shipping seems a little much for a catted y-pipe.

I already have the Kooks long tubes, but need a catted y-pipe to pass emissions.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 AM

Re: Y-pipe??

my random tech cats retail for $400 alone, slp y-pipe retails for $200. $515 seems a bit on the CHEAP end if you ask me.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
my random tech cats retail for $400 alone, slp y-pipe retails for $200. $515 seems a bit on the CHEAP end if you ask me.
$515 is about average, I don't think they use very good cats. I'v heard the stock ones flow better then some of them which would explain the lowwer cost.

Each header company designs their own headers and y-pipe to go with it. I think your going to have to just find a cheaper Kooks one or have cats welded onto a off road y-pipe.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 PM

The thing is I just need the cats to pass emissions, so what I would like to do is just get a cheap y-pipe that will let me pass emissions then swap it out for the one I already have.

From the sounds of things it looks like i'll just be buying some cheap cats and make up my own y-pipe to pass emissions. Then take it off and put the one I have now back on.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 PM

just keep your stock cats and buy an ORY, and have a shop weld in the cats.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 PM

QTP makes a cat ypipe.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper
QTP makes a cat ypipe.
and it sucks.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:05 PM

What exactly does off-road Y pipe mean? Does it mean no cats, or is it shaped different, or what??
Old 05-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
What exactly does off-road Y pipe mean? Does it mean no cats, or is it shaped different, or what??
Yes just no cats. Off road because technically it's for off road use only.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:18 PM

I could care less if someone make a crapy y-pipe, AS long as it has cats, lets me pass emissions, will bolt up to my Kooks Long tubes and is fairly cheap.

All I need the stupid catted y-pipe for is emissions testing which is once every two years. And if I wanted I could push it to once every three as long as I bought my insurance before the emissions pass expired.

The only time they check if you emissions pass is valid is when you go to purchase you insurance for your vehicle. So as long as you have at least day left on your emissions pass you can buy insurance.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:19 PM

I found a Y-pipe with Magnaflow cats for $497.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by StylezTA
and it sucks.
Dont know why you say that. Mine fits like a charm. It seems its more install error when people complain about em.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
just keep your stock cats and buy an ORY, and have a shop weld in the cats.
One stock cat is on a bend so you couldn't use it w/headers. You'd have to get 2 right side stock cats.

Krazy,
Get a Y bent at a muffler shop and some Carsound (Magnaflow's parent company) cats from ebay (~$55 ea and they still flow well) and run that to get inspected. Could also have a shop fab some flanged cats that you could slip into your Y and they could flange the portion of pipe they cut out for the cats so you could reinstall them after the inspection.

All they do for emissions testing here is plug a scanning tool into the port and check for SES codes. Does BC have visual checks also? If so, you could always get the cat exterior and put it on over your pipe. They'd never know the diff unless it won't pass a sniffer. If you have California type emmisions, then you won't pass w/LTs anyway.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 05-15-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Well for emissions testing here in BC, on all 98 and newer vehicles they plug into the PCM to check if there are any SES codes, they also do a visual under the car to check if you have cats, then they put the car on a simulated load dyno and run the car through 11km (7 mile) of simulated average driving conditions. Through this all they are taking readings of your, Hydrocarbons (HC), Carbon Monoxide (CO), and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx).

It’s not quite as bad as California’s smog **** program, here you don’t have to have C.A.R.B legal parts, and they don’t even check for them as long as you pass the sniffer test and have what look like cats under your car. So it doesn’t matter if I have long tubes, and have relocated my cats to a different location. Just as long as I pass the sniffer test.

The route that you suggested Greed4Speed is the way that I think that I’m going to have to go. I think I’ll just buy two cats and make up my own y-pipe for the emissions testing then take it out after I pass.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:12 PM

At least they are sensible with their testing unlike Cali. If you can pass emisions with relocated cats, who cares?

Good luck.