LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What makes an SS an SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by CODY BEHNKE
But park a SS next to a Z28 and see which one everyone looks at.
But what if the hoods are open and the Z28 which saved $5K over the SS put that into the engine. Then we'll see which one is drawing more attention.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:47 AM

The hoods being opened would have nothing to do with it. Most people don't know the specifics. To them it is a SS and thats all that matters.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:23 AM

The hoods being opened would have nothing to do with it. Most people don't know the specifics. To them it is a SS and thats all that matters.
Thankfully there are ignorant people. I put them in the import croud. Therefore, when they see that SS they thought was so powerful getting walked by what looked like a V6, they'll have no respect. If they knew anything about the car, it'd be a different story.

Again, I would have a SS if they were a specific model, not just an option on the Z28, but the banks would only give me enough for a Z28. So it was either wait until next year and save for a larger down payment, or get the Z now and throw that extra money into mods. I chose the latter.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:15 PM

ok i am tired of all this b!tching....

For all you z28 owners the SS is faster deal with it! All this whine, whine, bohoo i thought my z28 was the fastest.....boo hoo.
"Its just an appearance mod", well i would wrather have a car that looks good then something plain. There is no difference between a z28 and an RS with teh exceptoin of the stickers and some rims.

The SS is the fastest production camaro. And weather its got 325 or 335 the SS still beats teh 305 hp of a z28.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:23 PM

Exclamation

Uh, the SS is not faster. As I stated earlier, the fastest cars are the low option cars. The SS's stiffer suspension and sidewalls on the heavier 17-inch rims will actually hurt it at the track. The factory ratings for all the LS1 models are useless as they all dyno the same with variations from engine to engine, not model to model. Sorry to burst your bubble, but what "looks good" is very subjective. Try and keep an open mind as nobody was "b!tching."
Old 08-03-2003, 04:51 PM

A low option car is only 30-40lbs lighter, at the track that means almost nothing. And thats if they have 0 options but even Z28's came standard with it's share of options. The only weight difference that will slow a car down is if it's a convertable.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:17 PM

Try more like 60lbs. No window motors, seat motors, power trunk motor, antenna motor, door latch mechanisms, cloth seats, less wiring, stereo stuff, no fog lights, etc. Besides that, there's the difference in weights for the rims and tires. Most SS have T-tops and all WS6s do. I'm not sure what that adds because the panels are pretty light and the bracing can't be too much extra material. Even 40 pounds from a dead stop will mean something, but even disregarding that, the sidewall flex and stiffer suspension will definitely hurt the SS. I love the SS cars and evn have a SS hood on mine, but some people get carried away with the "SS is faster" thing.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:20 PM

Talking

BTW, you could order a Z28 with no options. Even the Monsoon, rear-window defogger, and power windows/locks were deleteable.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by LT-14me

For all you z28 owners the SS is faster deal with it! All this whine, whine, bohoo i thought my z28 was the fastest.....boo hoo.
"Its just an appearance mod", well i would wrather have a car that looks good then something plain. There is no difference between a z28 and an RS with teh exceptoin of the stickers and some rims.

The SS is the fastest production camaro. And weather its got 325 or 335 the SS still beats teh 305 hp of a z28.
Riiiiight It's always fun to see the new guys who think that an SS or WS6 is head and shoulders above a Z/28 or Trans Am. But hey, if it makes you and your ego feel better go right ahead thinking you have the ultimate untouchable Camaro. Ever heard of the ZL1?

-Mike
Old 08-03-2003, 05:51 PM

I think 40lbs. is a closer estimate but either way it wouldn't have any noticeable impact on track times. Thats the fraction of the weight of one person. Ironically convertibles are heavier then hard tops.

As for the ricers being ignorant, I couldn't agree more. I went to a import car show and I saw 2 cars out of over 50 with there hoods opened all the rest were showing off there PS2 that folded out of the glove box.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by LT-14me

SS is not faster, and there is a huge diiference between the rs and the z28...ummm, i think its 2 cylinders actually, but whatever you think is cool too.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by danziger
Try more like 60lbs. No window motors, seat motors, power trunk motor, antenna motor, door latch mechanisms, cloth seats, less wiring, stereo stuff, no fog lights, etc. Besides that, there's the difference in weights for the rims and tires. Most SS have T-tops and all WS6s do. I'm not sure what that adds because the panels are pretty light and the bracing can't be too much extra material. Even 40 pounds from a dead stop will mean something, but even disregarding that, the sidewall flex and stiffer suspension will definitely hurt the SS. I love the SS cars and evn have a SS hood on mine, but some people get carried away with the "SS is faster" thing.
On the other hand z28 owners get carried away with the "you wasted your money on nothing but an appearance mod" thing. Most of these people have never even driven an ss in the first place and it is obvious. I think everyone is making some very good points, one being that 17" rims with low profile tires will hurt you at the track. This is true but they will help you in the twisties. Some say the hood does nothing but i have seen much proof that it does help, especially at speeds over 100mph. Also the hood is lighter. Does a stripper z28 save wieght? sure it does but i would never buy anything without power doors and windows. this arguement will go on forever but just so everone knows most of the ss owners including myself don't like z28 owners telling us we did nothing but waste our money on the same car because it just isn't true, i made my choice after driving both the ss and the z28 same year model and same exact options, i liked the ss much better and that is just my opinion. So no i did not waste my money on an appearence package.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:34 PM

Keep in mind that 40lbs may sound trivial but 40lbs = .04 = you just got beat by a fender
Old 08-03-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by AL SS590 M6
Keep in mind that 40lbs may sound trivial but 40lbs = .04 = you just got beat by a fender
I guess I will only race a no option LS1 Camaro if the driver is fat.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:22 PM

...The only weight difference that will slow a car down is if it's a convertable.
Does anybody with an SS and somebody with a Z28 want to compare weights with me? Cause I hear all the talk about SS's being heavier. Convertibles being so slow cause they weigh too much. They flex too much. And I have yet to see it.

I have only been down the strip about 10 times in a 6 speed so I won't take credit for being an awesome drag racer. But my car ran 13.3 @ 106 stock. Sounds about like everybody else's stock times. I'd like to find out for sure just how much more weight I'm carrying.

One more thing to think about: almost all that extra weight is shifted toward the back seat where all the bracing, mounting hardware and pumps are. Better for traction and weight transfer?

Quick Reply: What makes an SS an SS?