LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by pan0phobik:
I shouldn't have even said my age. I was curious about camaros. Not how people pay for them/buy them. I said my age because I was hoping people would give me cost-efficient solutions while still having a fun/reliable car. and So what if kids dont pay for their cars? Is it hurting you any? No.. Then why do you let it bother you so much?
It's nothing personal, it does bother me when a kid gets a car with so much power.
Every young person on this site will get in here and talk about how responsible he and 10 other young people he knows are. Some will be speaking the truth, but the vast majority of young drivers are truthfully ignorant drivers and honestly think in their minds that they are safe. I was one of them and can finally admit it now. It is a form of denial for young folks.
I don't care if your folks buy you 10 Geo Metros, but they are irresponsible if they aid you in getting a missile. Young folks drive their Metros etc... stupid enough through my neighborhood to kill my kids if they get a chance, I shudder to think about the same kids getting ahold of an LT1, much less an LS1 car.
I work part time with my sheriff's dept and end up dealing with good kids way too much that just have a stupid moment showing off with cars. It's too much of a temptation for the best of kids.
I don't care, get a blown, nitroused, and turboed LS1... but if you hit one of my family members doing something stupid you might end up with a severe case of 'lead poisoning'.
Seriously, good luck with whatever you do. Anyone with an LS1 car is a lucky person and will enjoy it much. Just don't hurt anyone or do anything to drive my insurance up.
Dave
Old 06-03-2003, 06:13 PM

Dude you guys are so wrong to think that a ls1 camaro is going to make someone go fast. Come down to San Diego for a couple weeks and listen to the countless street racing deaths from youngsters to grown ups, driving everything from little honda's and acuras to trucks and old cars. Its not the car that kills people it is the person behind the wheel. Last week a 23 year old killed himself in his acura integra going over 100mph on the freeway. Lost control and bent himself around a poll. The week before that a 16 year old girl was driving at close to 100 mph in her Jeep when she went off the side of the road and into a ditch, leaving herself dead. How fast you get to 100 is a slight factor, but any car can loose control, any car can go over 100 mph, its the person behind the wheel making the decisions to go over 100mph or leave the line like a rocket only to kill himself 100 feet down the road. For as many irresponsible kids driving now days few have so called rocket cars, but thats not the point, them making the decision to go that fast is. If you are responsible and know the limits then get whatever you want.

When i was 16 i drove a 97 jetta for a year. I was way more irresponsible in that thing because it didnt have so much power and felt sturdy, gunning it off the line, racing stupid people, florring it around corners, etc. Now that i have a car that i repect for its good looks and power i drive no where close to how i used to. Its all in the person, car might have a little to do with it but a fast car will only kill the idiot faster, slow car will take them a little longer because they will feel somewhat secure when in truth they are not.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by XCES PWR
Dude you guys are so wrong to think that a ls1 camaro is going to make someone go fast.........................Its not the car that kills people it is the person behind the wheel.
Very good point. Name 1 car that isn't capable of going over 60 - 80 mph??? Hell, even my 1st car (POS VW, 1.6L, 0 to 60 in 10 blocks ) was capable of doing 100 mph..........it just took forever and a day to get there! If someone is going to pull stupid "stunts", they'll do it regardless of the car.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
If someone is going to pull stupid "stunts", they'll do it regardless of the car.
True, I have had more near death experiences in my V6 then in the SS.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:36 PM

I feel cheated, I had a 64 Bug in HS. Didn't get my 70 SS until I was 19, almost 20.

Actually, I'd rather see a young guy in a LS1 car than an older guy or woman that drives it like its a Honda.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by XCES PWR
Dude you guys are so wrong to think that a ls1 camaro is going to make someone go fast.
People buy trucks to haul stuff.

People buy vans to haul people.

People buy Z28s to haul @$$.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:00 PM

Anyways, enough argueing over how immature we are and stuff. Back to his original question of what to buy. Money aside, Id say definatly buy a SS, try to get the Collectors Edition. I figure your young and will be on a tight budget for a few years with colloege or w/e SO ... Buy the SS , possibly the collectors edition $$$ providing, they hold their value better then a Z does. Then say 5 years from now when you'd have enough money for another car ( Assuming you probly wont get a new car anytime soon after because you'll be at college ) you could sell your SS or SS CE for alot more trade-in value then jsut a Z28. Also , if you got the collectors Edition , i forget which year and how many , you might decide to keep it as a classic... Theyre awesome cars and id imagine they'd hold thier value 10 , 15 , maybe even 20 years down the road seeings how the F-bodys r discontinued. If you aint planning on keeping it for a long time though then jsut buy a Z28 , the money yo'll save not going SS could get you into low 12's ... and if your jsut getting a Z the year doesnt really matter. I think its the 99 or 00 and up that have LS6 intake manifold , no biggie , and correct me if im wrong but the 98's ? Had higher poundage injectors so if you were to juice it thats that much more $$$ you could save in upgrades as the fuel delivery would be fine for a begginer nitrous system ( like under 150 on stock engine ) ... O and Corsa Cat-Backs sound bad *** ... buy one as your first mod.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:25 PM

To those who actually admitted to not paying for your entire car yourself --->

To those who are committing INSURANCE FRAUD and still claiming you pay for everything concerning your car ----> Thanks for driving everyone else's insurance costs up

And to those lying about it to impress a bunch of people on a message board ----> you are way too lame to even get a crappy Smily.

Seriously tho guys, I'm not trying to **** anyone off, but I guess all I am saying is this...

A.) EVERYONE thinks they are an excellent, perfect driver

B.) Nearly EVERYONE is NOT (myself included)...with maybe only the exception being professionals

C.) The younger the person, the more invincible the person thinks they are.

And I agree that the car doesnt make people drive fast/dangerously....but there is sorta a reason these cars + insurance on these cars is more than a teenager can afford. If a young person is given a car, they do not respect and appreciate it, but if they have worked and saved for it ON THEIR OWN or mostly on their own, they have a much greater respect for what they have EARNED.

Take this kid for example
spoiled SRT-4 kid

Given a $20k, moderately fast car for FREE, and decides its not good enough and wants to convince his parents to pay the extra for a Supra

Anyway...sorry for the long post! lol

Old 06-04-2003, 02:57 PM

Nicely Said , couldnt have said it better myself. O and not that you were flamming earlier but just so you no, I DID pay for my own totalled Z28, and i DID pay for all the parts to fix it. And i pay half of my insurance, also i dropped collision so its affordable lol ... but anyways , yea great point bout the Supra kid lol ... stupid Ricer gunna get one a these days by a Z ...
Old 06-04-2003, 03:13 PM

...looks like srt-4 boy is getting the beat-down! hah-hah

but yeah, when i first got my car i nearly spun out at a corner

on the freeway at 50mph, i gunned it while the road was wet and started fishtailing. nearly slammed into a water-filled barrier

again...i was an idiot

i'm glad i didn't get this car until i was 31. i mostly likely would've wrecked it had i got it earlier
Old 06-04-2003, 04:31 PM

17, bought my car myslef, had a 96 camaro, have a 85 camaro, and a 86 motne carlo ss you can do anything if you put youre mind to it lol
Old 06-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

i think you should tell US what kind of camaro you should get. If you have a lead foot, this is your poison. you will be past 120mph before the second hand can move a quarter of the way around your watch.

unfortunatly, driving inflates a teenagers sense of self esteem.
Your the badest *** snmabitch till that panic situation when you freak out and freeze like a deer in headlights.

anyone can go 120mph. sooner or later it WILL catch up to you.

Good luck with it. hopefully you are mature enough to understand that speeding through traffic is not cool.

Regards-

Trey
18 years old
95 Z28
383 stroker

03 silverado
Z71 extended cab
Old 06-04-2003, 06:36 PM

i have paid for everything on my car, i got it when i was 18. i just turned 20 last month. everything is in my name, car insurance and car payments for my loan. i got a job as an apprentice electrcian in grade 10 and worked 2 summers and then a year after i graduated. saved up for about 1/2 of the car and then took out a loan for the rest. the car is 100% in my name for everything. so it isn't near impossible for any kid to do it. have not missed any payments, and don't plan too. i am lucky though because i live at home till im done my apprenticeship for free, so i pay no rent.
i baby my car, i don't want to have to fix it cause it would probably sit in the garage for a while while i saved up money to fix it
Old 06-04-2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Sandman_97Z

I mean cmon...you guys arent impressing anyone

I wish my mommy and daddy would pay for my car/insurance/mods/etc...

If it makes you feel better I got my Z when I was 18 and have been financed by my parents. I am 21, and owe them about 12k on the car. (1st 13thou paid off !!!) Also owe about 4k on the cherokee... Hey, at least the wrangler is owned outright!

I agree... noone owns theirs outright and pays for the insurance and stuff... just too much $$ when you are 16-18. Had I bought a 97 Z (in 2000) I would just about own it outright now, but thats not what I was going for.

As far as buying a LS1 car...be careful. Before buying my Z I had a 98 mustang GT, and before that a 72 442 (clone), so i had some experience with powerful rear wheel drive cars. Even then, my parents were very hesitant to purchase the Z... it is a lot more car than many 18 year olds can handle. PLease please please... learn as much as possible about them, how they handle/accelerate in a safe legal manner. Dont view this as a lecture... I am only 21, but have had twice as mnay years behind the wheel. I have seen a 98 SS wrapped around a tree 6' off the ground becasue someone couldnt handle the car. It happens...
I suggest if you buy one take it and your mom/dad to a few autocross events and maybe the ol 1320 for some learning about the car. These are safe outlets to learn momre about your car.
Good luck! These cars are a blast!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:30 AM

YO DUDE YOU NEED TO GET AN LT1 THEIR CHEAPER IN ALL KINDS OF WAYS. SOUND BAD *** COMPARED TO AN LS1, LT1 ARE BAD SOUNDING AND WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE YOU CAN MOD THE CAR AND BEAT LS1's AND INSURANCE IS a lot CHEAPER AND THEY WON'T BREAK DOWN AS MUCH AS THE LS1 WILL. I HAD A 95 Z28 WITH 175000 MILES THAT RAN BETTER THEN MOST CAMARO'S OUT THERE BUT I SOLD IT TO GET A 6SPD AND LT1 WILL HOLD UP TO MODS AS TO LS1 THEY LIKE TO STAY STOCK CAUSE MODS ON A LS1 WILL NOT WITHSTAND LS1 LIKE TO STAY HEATHLY STOCK

Quick Reply: What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?