LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 11:16 PM

ferocity02 - im the same way you are. My car is not paid off but I do make $300 car payments every month. I also pay for ALL my mods, gas money, and I pay insurance on an 87 s-10. My dad does cover the insurance on my car. But if I get a ticket, I pay the difference that it goes up. I do have a part/full time job. During school, I work 30 or so hours a week and during the summer i work 50 or so hours. Yea its not a normal job, its not a franchaise place or anything like most people. Its a family owned thing (not my family, but i think you guys get the picture), so that explains the hour situation. I dont wanna hear the stuff about you cant work more than 40 hours a week, bc thats bs. My paycheck would beg to differ. I bring in about $400 every 2 weeks, depending on the number of hours i work.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:34 PM

Talking

Originally posted by pan0phobik
Quit w/ the damn controversy and talk about the Camaros guys.
You got it!..............let's talk C A M A R O S --- not Mustangs?!

I was just 17 when I first got my '81 Z28, and by the time I sold it when I was 18, it was a low 13 second car........and all I got were two minor speeding tickets, but imagine this --- only one accident, that was totally the fault of a 45 year old white male!!! (could have been my dad for goodness sake!). Sure young drivers may be stereotyped as "bad drivers", but anybody is capable of causing an accident, no matter the age.

If you're dead set on getting a V8 car, I'd really suggest sticking with an F-body (Camaro/Firebird). Like someone already mentioned, Mustangs sound mean, but they're more "show" than "go". A guy I work with has a '99 GT that only ran 14.5, and a guy at the track last Friday night was running 14.1 at best with an '01 (I think ) GT. Most LS1 Camaros are in the 13's bone stock. Look around in some of the guys' signatures.........you'll see that even '98/'99 cars are running mid-low 13's, and my '02 only ran 14.0 last year?! Since you are a little younger, get a '98 or '99, but you'll be more than happy with it! They're pretty amazing cars for the money if you ask me.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Gossco95
I wouldnt of minded a Dark Blue Metallic Camaro Z28 with Ground effects

Camaro SS pics [/B]

im 17 thats what i got
Old 06-02-2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by pan0phobik
I shouldn't have even said my age. I was curious about camaros. Not how people pay for them/buy them. I said my age because I was hoping people would give me cost-efficient solutions while still having a fun/reliable car. and So what if kids dont pay for their cars? Is it hurting you any? No.. Then why do you let it bother you so much? Yea i dont pay for everything I hvae either.. but I plan on repaying my parents greatly in the future after I get a job after college. Helping w/ their retirement and such. Yes.. there ARE some spoiled *******s that take everything for granted... but there are ppl who get things and are also decent people. My 17 year old friend just got an '03 Cobra that he didnt pay for 100% on his own. Am I mad? No... more props to the guy.
Quit w/ the damn controversy and talk about the Camaros guys.
They are all going to be fun and reliable.Some have touched on the differences in years.Like the 01-02s havin LS6 intakes and a little more power than 98-00s.
You just need to decide on the one that fits your budget and what trans you want.Low miles is good,overall condition of the car. do the checks to all systems of the car in question if it checks out and in your budget then its right for YOU. Get it,there is hardly any difference in all. And as soon as you get it you WILL get the MOD BUG (highly contagious) and it will be better and different anyway.

Your right age has nothin to do with it,but a price range would help.
At 17 I had a 67 Fairlane w/390ci 4sp posi,rolled that.Bought another identical rolled that one too what the hell life goes on...that must be why Aklaims insurance is so high
Old 06-03-2003, 12:07 AM

I am 18 and have a 2000 SS and it is awesome... 01 and 02 do have more power like everyone says, but thats when they are stock... throw on an ls6 manifold (main difference) and the 2000 has more power.... anyways you can read about the details in other posts... as long as its an ls1 its gonna fly
Old 06-03-2003, 01:29 AM

I'm 18 and have had my 2000 Z28 for a year now. Great car, but careful is the phrase used when driving it. The first day i had it i was driving to get some food with 3 other people in the car and sure enough the back came around going around a left turn, didnt hit anything or damage anything but from then i was scared ****less. After that i went out and played in the school parking lot while it was raining. Learned the limits of the car and had fun while doing it. Now i can push the limits when safe and have confidence in my control.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:27 AM

when you find one, run the vehicle id number first through any gm dealer....to be sure it is what it is.
when i bought my z28, i thought it was an ss...it had the hood scoop. i didn't know until later it was a z28.

but i wasn't mad. i was an idiot

keep in mind, if you get an SS you'll need to afford replacement tires in the 275/17inch z-rated size. go to tirerack.com and see how much they run. z28's run on 245/16inch z-rated

kumho's are the cheapest i think

Last edited by TerrorDome; 06-03-2003 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:47 AM

If your going to go with a camaro or firebird, the 98-99 cars seem to be the best value for the money. Every once in a while I see a 97 C5 for under 20K too. If your going to go with an LS1 or an LT1 just be carefull. when I was 18 I thought I was on top of the world and nothing could hurt me, and I couldn't hurt anyone or anything. Now, I know Im not alone on that. Most young men feel the same way just out of high school. Becareful, be very very careful. These are high powered sports cars, not suv's, or compact economy cars. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it, and you take care of it. These cars will last forver if you take good care of them.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Banned

anyone uwant....but itd be better to post this in the lounge......
Old 06-03-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Sandman_97Z
No offense to anyone, but I think its funny that EVERY time the subject of age comes up, it seems like EVERY SINGLE TEENAGE KID out there who drives a LT1/LT4/LS1/LS6 has worked for a million summers and saved up every single penny their whole life and has their car COMPLETELY PAID OFF and pays for their OWN INSURANCE and their OWN MODS and everthing else...

...sorry but, at 16 and 17 and 18, i gotta say...

I mean cmon...you guys arent impressing anyone

I wish my mommy and daddy would pay for my car/insurance/mods/etc...

But like I said, no offense, just my opinion.

honestly my parents paid for most of my car (like 10 out of 14K) because i worked my *** off in school and got a full ride to st johns next year.....i do however pay all my own insurance and ive paid for every single mod on my car (except rims were a grad present) if u wanna call me spoiled go ahead ur entitled to your opinion but considering i work a minimum wage job im proud of the tremendous amount of gas/insurance/mod money i put into my Z......
Old 06-03-2003, 02:44 PM

Nothing wrong with being spoiled, because i spoil my parents. I have over a 4.0 gpa throughout highschool, never get into any trouble, never talk back to my parents. If i were some punk kid whos parents just gave them a car just so they could have one then i wouldn't be proud of it. But i work my *** off in school, and work and my parents see this and reward me. The car is not in my name and it's actually theirs, i just drive it. Parents told me first speeding ticket i get and the car is taken away. I'm a good kid and my parents see this. If i talked back to my parents and did drugs, falied classes, didn't give a hoot about school then my parents wouldn't allow me to drive a car at all. I'm proud that their proud of me and care... And i do pay for anything i want to do to the car that is not normal, including mods. I even had to pay the extra $$ to put synthetic oil in it. But i don't mind because i work and have saved since i was a kid to have this dream car.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:52 PM

No wonder all of us honest guys have such high insurance with all you crooks defraudng the insurance companies. you people see it as your defrauding the rest of us as well but you are.

As far as teenagers with V8 camaros, I don't care how much money you made or how well you did in high school, giving your kid a muscle car is not smart, it has nothing to do with money, people get killed because inmature teenagers, I don't care how mature you think your are, when you get into a race it can turn out bad in a hurry, just remember the brakes have their limits and if your doing 60, which can be reach in first gear and you only have 100 feet ahead of you, your not going to make it.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:04 PM

Some 16 and 17 year olds pay for their own car. Im 16, have been savin money for a few years, since I was like maybe 10? Something like that. By no means is my family rich, my dad maybe makes 50K a year. And whenever I come rollin up the street in my Convertable Z everyone thinks its dad's car. I dont blame 'em most 16 year olds cant afford one. I couldn't , so i did the next best thing, bought one that was totalled, did all the work myself, then got my uncle to spray the front clip for me since he is pretty good at painting. So ya ur right 99% of kids with a sports car didnt pay for it entirely theirselves 100%, but i worked my gnads off at my uncles grease monkey since i was jsut old enuf to vac out cars and now i have my own. And im not gunna you guys, I dont pay entirely for my insurance, my dad pays for about half of the payments for me, and since most young teens r on a budget, me as well , i have minimal coverage. Liability and Comprehensive ( I think thats theft coverage fire and stuff like that ) but ... No Collision ... And I have to say that my 6K was definatly well spent on my 14K mile car that was trashed when i bought it. I dont think it was rite to start bitchen ppl out cuz theyre young with a sports car.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:16 PM

I got my SS a couple months before I turned 18.

good times

You say your looking for a cost effiecent solution, get a 98 Z28. They are usually the cheapest because that is the first year they used the LS1 insurance should be a little cheaper too. I would get an insurance quote before you look any further, insurance is pretty bad on these cars.

Last edited by 99blackSS; 06-03-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:20 PM

O and 1 more thing. You say taht giving a teen a fast ride is ridiculous becasue no matter how mature we think we are , were not. When I was 12 i got a LT250 Quadracer , the thing is a rocket , everyone said ima kill myself on it , DID I ? No because I was mature about it and no my limits ( Not saying a crusie on the pavment with a ATV never happens lol ) Never even tipped/wrecked the thing , and i do occasionaly race it now up my cabin at Marienville Power Sports ... But at any rate, just becasue something is fast doesnt mean were gonna be immature about it. Im sure you have floored your car at one point or another , and have speeded at times ? So who are any of you guys to be lecturing about maturity , practice what you preach. O and im a honor student. I get 4.0's and am a straight A student aside from German and English which i get B's in ... Gotta love weighted classes tho to accododate for stupid **** we shouldnt have to take in school like languange courses ... lol

Quick Reply: What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?