LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Weird sound

Ok so recently my car has been making this weird noise. Im only 19 and basically know nothing of engines again Im a newb. It baiscally sounds like a small jack hammer coming from the lower driver side. At first it would only do it at idle, but now it wont stop. It does not feel that is has affected performance, but just has me worry. My car is ls1 stock over 90,xxx miles.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:51 PM

unfortunately that noise could be any of a number of things. things to check before a mechanic;

are you low on oil? (basic but sometimes overlooked)

are you getting oil pressure? (check gauge)

any smoke from exhaust?

when did this start? (miss a shift, racing, normal driving? etc)

if you werent beating on th ecar when the noise began, i would lean against spun bearing, bent pushrod.

also, is it a ls1, lt1, v6?

i have seen a sbc break a connecting rod for no reason tho.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 PM

I have an ls1 and use the car for normal driving. Once in a while I will go fast with the car, but havnt raced it. Oil level seems fine. No smoke from the exhaust. If it is a spun bearing how much could it cost to have it fixed?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM

whoops i broke something

i have the same problem but mine has gone even further.....stoped the clicking noise and is now lossing power. i think your problem is that u hurt one of your lifters from reving it to high. the LS1 recives valve float a 5850rpm and if u redline it to much it will blow a lifter. i need to fix this problem and wonder if a cam swap, new lifters, chromeoly pushrods, and new springs will fix this problem????? it feels like a cylander is missing now and i have no check engine light. ne advice would be appriciated.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 AM

If it really sounds hard hitting like a jackhammer then you probably have a bad rod bearing and if you keep driving it you'll completely wreck the whole engine.
If it's a light tapping it might be a pushrod.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:08 PM

I bet it's the same thing I just fixed. It's easy to know if it's the problem and costs nothing to attempt to fix. This is from my post on another site:
I looked at the exhaust clamp that is just behind the tunnel brace. I couldn't loosen or tighten the clamp any with the car on the ground and I didn't feel like putting it up, so I took the biggest wrench I could find (a pair of channel locks) and started whaling on the clamp from the front side to force it back further on the joint... It worked!
Hope this helps. Let me know.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ChevEE
I bet it's the same thing I just fixed. It's easy to know if it's the problem and costs nothing to attempt to fix. This is from my post on another site:
Quote:
I looked at the exhaust clamp that is just behind the tunnel brace. I couldn't loosen or tighten the clamp any with the car on the ground and I didn't feel like putting it up, so I took the biggest wrench I could find (a pair of channel locks) and started whaling on the clamp from the front side to force it back further on the joint... It worked!

Hope this helps. Let me know.
He was to lazy to jack up his car so he started beating on it with a pair of pliers. Not someone that I want to take advice from.