LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Volant cold air on SS should give gains right ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 10:39 AM

Volant cold air on SS should give gains right ?

Is anyone here with an SS running a Volant Cold Air induction?

When I got my SS I thought that the slit under the air lid for incoming air was pathetically small. The volant allows the air from the hood to open into the air box chamber with no apparent restriction.

At the risk of starting another SS vs WS6 intake argument, the WS6 box has a helluvalot taller slit under the airbox for incoming air. If the size of that slit didn't matter, then the engineers would have used the same narrow slit on the WS6 as on the SS right? So it's not too unreasonable to think that the narrow gap on the SS is a restriction to max flow.

Here's a picture to take a look.
http://www.volantperformance.com/Pro...58Cinstall.htm

ANY thoughts???
Old 10-28-2003, 12:48 PM

According to your sig you had/have a SLP airlid. So the voliant/fipk setup will not gain you much over what you had all ready. But it will gain you a little.

Personally I liked the look of the caron fibre lid with a cai or ram air kit (ARA) better but that's just me. You are correct on your accessment of the smaller slit restricting airflow. It does. But what I did was get a lid (which you had/have). Then I got thr SSRA (super sucker ram air which is now called ARA or austin ram air).

The ARA kit is a two scoop box unit that has the top scoop sit directly under your airbox (you have to cut the bottom away aka free ram air mod). The second scoop box slides into the other and makes a nice bend to come out to the front bumper. So the bottom scoop is then attatched to the bottom of your front bumper but far enough back to keep it from being visible.

This allows air outside your car to get to the engine instead of air that was under the hood. At city driving speeds it acts as a nice cold air kit. But get out on the highway and punch it at 75 and now you got enough wind valocity to get a small ram air affect. It's a night and day difference for me to go from 100-130 now then it was before I installed my SSRA kit.

The voliant/fipk is a nice unit and should dyno more gains then my lid/ssra combo but I can feel the difference between the two at high speeds which a dyno can't calculate.

You won't be disappointed with the voliant and it will give a small gain over just a lid but if you havn't gotten it yet then at least consider the ARA ram air kit to compliment your slp lid. Even though the SS has "factory ram air" many SS owners laugh at the design and get a FTRA or ARA anyway. But the voliant setup on a ws6 and those big nostrils feeding it air would be a sweet setup too.

You can't go wrong either way and most just pick the one they like the looks of better.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:53 AM

Uhhhh.........nobody else??

I actually kind of have my mind made up.

Don't be too surprised if you guys see a before & after drag test on the Volant by me eventually.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:05 PM

I was looking at just that, I have the stock air lid... and the stock "ram air" for my SS but was thinking about doing either the Volant ... would I see a difference if I put that on over the stock?

and do those accomodate the ram air from the hood the SS has stock?

Last edited by sandmanusd; 10-30-2003 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:20 PM

It looks like the factory slots in the hood dump the air directly into the airbox.

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 10-30-2003 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:25 PM

ok, i see now, thanks...
Old 10-31-2003, 12:16 AM

If you're gonna be dropping that kinda cash, you'd be better off going with a SSRA (super sucker ram air). It gets cool air to the lid by routing it from under the front bumper. You'll see a bigger performance gain from an SSRA than you will from the Volant setup...especailly at higher speeds.