LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Vapor Lock symptoms?! Need help (long post- ongoing saga)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 PM

Re: Vapor Lock symptoms?! Need help (long post- ongoing saga)

MAF is good, O2 sensors (all 4) are shifting and reading good (both on bank 2 have been replaced as well). As for the temp sensor, I think it's reading fine- seemed to remember seeing it incrementing up while monitoring it on the scanner but I'll check again. Not sure how the system would shift to closed loop if the temp sensor was bad.... and not sure how a failed temp sensor could affect only bank 2. Are the signals for temp sent seperatly to bank 1 and 2?

Thinking about this, does anyone have an LS1 wiring diagram (PDF link maybe) that shows all of the ignition and control circuits? It seems like this could be a bad ground or sensor somewhere on bank 2, but I don't have any documentation to start with.

An emissions control system for dummies book might me helpful too , since this now SEEMS to be isolated to a closed loop issue. I am looking for descriptions of what is happening in closed loop and how the 2 banks are actually controlled.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It still amazes me just how much info is out here from you folks.

Allen
Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 PM

Got the car back this afternoon.....

Well, it may actually be fixed!!
Apparently, they replaced the PCM with new including a "new revised configuration". I wasn't aware there was a revised config from GM for the LS1 and I doubt anyone here would care since most have tuned it anyway.

Still, anyone else hear of this revision?!

So far I tried everything to re-create the symptoms including maxing out the AC and electrical system and holding the car in gear at idle. Scanned the car and NO misfires on either bank, so it looks good so far! Runs VERY smooth now (better than when we bought it new it seems) and is much stronger. Hell, punched it on a straight deserted hwy this afternoon and passed 125 before I realized it!

I fear that since the entire PCM was replaced I'll never know just what the specific cause was (assuming it is fixed for good) and this will not help anyone else with similar problems.

Still, it is really amazing the volume of information here and thanks for the suggestions. I have learned a great deal about the workings of the car thanks to all of you.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM

hmm, I seem to recall someone suggest that your computer could be the culprit . I hope that really was the problem, it sounds like you've been through the mill with this problem! I had a similar problem with my boat throwing all sorts of codes and running like crap, changed out the pcm and it was fixed.Good luck with your car , maybe you can enjoy it now
Old 07-24-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zitty'sZ
hmm, I seem to recall someone suggest that your computer could be the culprit . .....
No worries!

I never disconted the PCM, we just had to eliminate all of the other crap going on to work upstream to the PCM.

I'm still scratching my head as to why it was only affecting bank 2

I just hope this is actually going to fix it once-and-for all! Hell, there's not much left to replace!