LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Twin Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:01 AM

Twin Turbo Kits

I saw a twin-turbo kit for about $7k...not too shabby I thought. If i'm going to invest that type of money into a performance mod, I want to know a thing or two before I purchase it.

1) my dad has told me that superchargers are more reliable and that turbo (twin for that matter) really kill engine life because they strain it more. True or False? Feel free to go into depth. :P

2) which is optimal regarding performance? for that much money I want to make sure i'm getting the best ****.

3) how complicated are either superchargers or turbochargers to install? should I have a reputable place do it, or is it easy enough for my buddy and me to werk it?

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Banned

sup dude........

get them profesionally installed......

supercharger is more daile driven friendly
Old 01-29-2003, 03:51 AM

I would have them installed professionally, especially a turbo!! If you screw up a turbo, especially a twin and get too much knock your in trouble!! As for a turbo shortening motor life, I really don't think so. I have a mid 11 second Grand national that I use as a daily driver and she's near 80000 miles with no motor trouble. I have seen friends GN's with well over 100000 miles and no trouble. With a turbo you will only run into trouble if you are getting early detonation, and the more boost you run the more prone you will be to this. As for more daily driver friendly, I drive my friends SC cobra once in awhile and it in know way compares to my GN. The sudden thrust of a turbo car once the turbo has boosted is uncomparible to anything else. It's almost like having a shot of nitrous everytime you stuff the pedal. I can't wait to get enough money to throw a turbo on the Camaro, with a twin kit your car should FLY!! I just hope the Camor seats can hold up, hell I've broken the recline mechanism so many times on my GN that I welded the damn thing in one position!! Good luck with either you choose!!
Old 01-29-2003, 11:40 AM

tainted...just constuctive advise and criticism here...no flame. before you do any kind of FI, do alot of research on the how-to and tuning. your father doesnt have any clue what hes talking about and misinformation about FI can be costly on your wallet. if youre serious about it, truly research what you want.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 AM

I am not sure but I don't think the twin turbos will hinder engine life that much.

Also I feel that turbo is more daily driven friendly because of boost control. The only way to control boost on a supercharger is to change the pulley, and you are making all your power all the time. If you go with a twin turbo set up you can control your boost level, so when you are on the street you can keep it low and when you race you can turn it up.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Forced Induction is just that no matter what your setup is.. your dad is somewhat missinformed..

you need to do some research on this with some of the different companies out there along with some shops that actually do the work and tuning the specific car you have