LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

TSP magic stick 3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Re: TSP magic stick 3?

Ill go with the PT4000, should i upgrade or resurface the flywheel? Should i buy any new hardware such as bolts etc. Where can i get this converter? How hard is this to put in on your own?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jachin99
Ill go with the PT4000, should i upgrade or resurface the flywheel? Should i buy any new hardware such as bolts etc. Where can i get this converter? How hard is this to put in on your own?
Resurface the flywheel? You're speaking clutch. Automatic transmissions have flexplates. The flexplate does not need to be replaced. Bolts come with the converter, but Yank's supplied bolts are too short IMO. I used ARP. You can get the converter directly from Yank at www.converter.cc . Or just call TSP. How hard is it to put in? You have to remove the transmission.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Bolts come with the converter, but Yank's supplied bolts are too short IMO. I used ARP.
Which really irritated me, I couldn't wait to order the ARPs when I installed so I just took the stockers and spent a little time on the bench grinder with them...

Actually still running those, but I should switch to the ARP ones next time I have her apart.

I'm guessing with an aftermarket flexplate you may not need any spacers/washers hence the short bolts. They were only too short by the size of my spacer, 1/8" IIRC or 3/16" it's been a couple years.

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 01-12-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 AM

I know i have to remove the transmission. But how difficult/ what kind of tools and time is needed to remove it. Can i do this with a floor jack and a socket set or what?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jachin99
I know i have to remove the transmission. But how difficult/ what kind of tools and time is needed to remove it. Can i do this with a floor jack and a socket set or what?
Jack, 4xJackstands, Cement blocks (I put these under the wheels for added safety)...

1) Jack car up
2) Remove Exhaust
3) Remove Driveshaft
4) Unbolt Torque arm from Tranny
5) Remove Transmission crossmember
6) Lower tranny down about as far as it will go
7) There's a electrical plug on the tranny as well as lines to the radiator you need to remove, also the dipstick.
8) Remove starter
9) Remove 3 bolts holding the Torque converter to the flexplate through the space where the starter went
10) Unbolt tranny

I'm sure I'm leaving little things out like O2 sensors when you remove exhaust, transmission vent tube that is clipped on the torque arm,etc... but that is the major steps.

You can do it with a floor jack, but I would recommend a transmission jack. Install is reverse, you have to measure the play in the torque converter and torque values are stickied in the top of this thread I believe.

It's not that bad, but that REALLY depends on your level of experience wrenching... I can do it in a day, but for a DIY 1st time I would have at least a FULL weekend and that's if everything goes well. (not needing additional parts/tools etc)

We can help you but a good resource would be www.ls1tech.com Just search and you can find a lot of information.

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 01-12-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Getting those top bolts out was tons of fun, you will need a few feet of extensions and a swivel or universal socket.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 PM

You'll never get the job done with just a jack and some cheap hand tools. The torque converter bolts are accessed through the starter hole (limited access), and are T50+. They're a huge PITA to deal with - DO NOT STRIP THEM!!! The only other hard part people complain about is the top bellhousing bolts, but I've never had any issues with them. Finally, if the trans has never been out before the dowel pins like to seize to the bellhousing.

I've pulled my trans several times, and I don't use a trans jack or adapter. I have 4 tall stands that I put the car up on, and use a quality floor jack. I benchpress the transmission into place
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM

You'll never get the job done with just a jack and some cheap hand tools. The torque converter bolts are accessed through the starter hole (limited access), and are T50+. They're a huge PITA to deal with - DO NOT STRIP THEM!!! The only other hard part people complain about is the top bellhousing bolts, but I've never had any issues with them. Finally, if the trans has never been out before the dowel pins like to seize to the bellhousing.

I've pulled my trans several times, and I don't use a trans jack or adapter. I have 4 tall stands that I put the car up on, and use a quality floor jack. I benchpress the transmission into place
I agree, but a trans jack definitely helps! Mine were T'whatever' but I believe a 15mm socket also fit them... I didn't bother throwing a Torx or Allen wrench on them (forget which it was). I've never had issues with the top bolts either, although I would suggest putting some anti-seize on the dowl pins when you have it apart.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Here's a GREAT how-to with pictures:
http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM

I benchpress the transmission into place
I would like to see that.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM

I'll chime in on this whole deal.
The MS3 is daily drivable and is a very popular grind in this area. The tune is what makes or breaks drivsbility of a big cam and fuel consumption. I currently get the same milage in mixed driving and better milage all highway with my 408 (240/244 grind cam) and 3.89 geared 9" vs. LS1 with a little 226 grind and stock geared 10bolt. I've gotten a best of 22 mpg so far, and that was with shall we say spirited driving.
With that all said, I personally don't care for TSP cams and would direct you elsewhere though, preferrably a custom grind.

I have to agree with the others. A converter is a better mod at this point since you don't have one yet.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
With that all said, I personally don't care for TSP cams and would direct you elsewhere though, preferrably a custom grind.
A custom grind wouldn't yield anything - power or drivability. On a higher compression engine with aftermarket heads and/or forced induction, sure, but not on an otherwise stock engine. That's what most off-the-shelf LS1 cams were "custom" designed for.

Why don't you care for the TSP cams?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 AM

A custom grind wouldn't yield anything - power or drivability. On a higher compression engine with aftermarket heads and/or forced induction, sure, but not on an otherwise stock engine. That's what most off-the-shelf LS1 cams were "custom" designed for.

Agree, all of the "LS1" cams were custom cam's for 346ci LS1s to begin with. They are proven performers.

MS3 has multiple variants between manufacturers with different names. Obviously those valve events work. Just like the 236/240 (Streetsweeper, Tsunami, Speedinc SI6) etc...

I love how everybody now wants a custom cam, but don't get me started on some of the custom cam guys and what their backgrounds really are. (Marketing)

I do like Geoff at EPS though if you feel you need to go that route, he designed a lot of Thunder Racings cams back in the day (Trex, Raptor, etc) and has a lot of LS knowledge and 1st hand experience which is key.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Ill probly just buy the torque converter. The only thing holding me back is i know i wont have time to install it until the end of this year/ next year, and my next mod is going to be brakes. Im just not sure if i want to stop at just putting the converter in or go ahead and send it somewhere and get the trans beefed up too. The cam, If i get it will go after that, but not before do the brakes, ill debate the converter some more.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Seeing how there are shops with proprietary cam lobes making good power over the traditional LS grinds of the same duration, yes a custom ground cam will still make more power than an off the shelf grind. You can also get a tighter LSA if you go with a custom grind.

I'm not a TSP fan at all. IMO they are overhyped.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-20-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: TSP magic stick 3?