LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Stock timeslips for my mustang buddys to look at

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 11:57 PM

Question

Guys!!! Can we define what "STOCK" is before we start saying "I did this stock" and "I did that stock" --- I just went to the track last Friday night with my truly STOCK car --- I mean stock as in tires, lid, spare tire/jack, and with an 1/8 tank of premium gas. I know I only have 2.73's, but still, my best time was 14.129 @ 101.26mph --- WHERE'S THE 13??????????

Is it actually true that a STOCK LS1 can actually do less than 13???!!

How do you think I felt running next to a new(er) Mustang who ran 13.673 @ 104.20mph to my 14.1??? That 'Stang looked and sounded "stock" to me, but it probably had a few things done to it, because everyone says "a 'stock' LS1 will walk all over a Mustang --- even ones with mods!" and yet he walked all over me, IMO.

Unless I got a "factory freak" that only does 14.1 as compared to the 13's of every other LS1 F-body out there, I'd say there's probably a little confusion on what guys consider to be "stock". If you've put a new lid on your car, it's no longer stock. It's close, but NOT stock.

Look at the arguments that start up about the new Cobra --- everyone says "well with a lid and exhaust and blah, blah, blah.....I can smoke a Cobra" --- but "stock" for "stock", the Cobra will smoke an F-bod - no question.

So what does it really take to hit 13's??? Would tires do it?? Would a new lid do it?? Do I need to lose some weight??(currently 180lbs) Does my car need to lose some weight??(spare tire/jack)

Is my car odd??? Do all LS1's hit 13's?? Or do stock LS1's only do 14's sometimes??? What's the deal?!

------------------
2002 Z28 - A4, 2.73's, Blk/blk, leather, T-tops, sport appearance package - just bought on June 26, 2002! - Pics

1981 Z28 - 383, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi - sold August, 2000 - Pics

1973 Camaro - Dad's & my project in the works - to be built: 355 Chevy, 11.5:1 pop-ups, "camel hump" heads (w/2.02 valves), solid cam, 4-speed.....it should be quick! - Pics

[This message has been edited by Capn Pete (edited August 27, 2002).]
Old 08-27-2002, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the replys!!

------------------
00 Z28 - 6 speed
www.extinctls1.com
Old 08-27-2002, 12:30 AM

You only hittin 14s...Do you spin badly off the line? Do you powerbrake the car?

I mean 12.6 with drag radials and other then that totally stock nothing else...

Your car should be in the 13 bone stock...Good luck man..
Old 08-27-2002, 12:32 AM

with the stock tires it is all about the start what are your 60 foot times?

I went 13.4 with flows on
------------------
00 Z28 - 6 speed
www.extinctls1.com

[This message has been edited by bossman (edited August 27, 2002).]
Old 08-27-2002, 06:40 AM

Don't feel bad, my car would only run a 13.9-14.0 when it was stock. I'm only getting about a 2.1 60' as well.

------------------
- Steve - 1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
LS1 A4, 2.73's, Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 245/50/ZR16's, Direct Flow Lid, GMAF, !FRA, Loudmouth, 3" Y-Pipe, AIT Mod, Fan Switch Mod
13.774 @ 103.33, 300.5rwhp & 308.6rwtq, 97+ RPO Codes
Old 08-27-2002, 12:40 PM

I have a 99 SS, when it was BONE stock ( stock exhaust, air lid, filter, dealer tags ) I ran a 13.60

Have not been back to the 1/4 to see what it will do with mods in sig.

------------------
Chris Anderson
--------------------
Black 99SS M6 all SLP Options
Mods - Cutout, Direct-Flo Lid, GMS MAF, Hurst Shifter with Chrome Handle, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 Tires.
Best ET 13.60 @ 104.31
Best MPH 13.92 @ 108.81
Old 08-27-2002, 03:58 PM

2000 Z28 with only a K&N ran 13.6 all day. Stock GS-Cs, spare, jack, coin holder, etc, everything in the car. I can tell that car had more power in it. The only things I took out of the car before I raced was the water cooler and my wife. (We did not have a helmet for her.) 2.073 60' 82mph at 1/8. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it's a nice everyday driver. I like when a kid in a GT with only a Flowmaster thinks he's got something over my quiet Z. He learns his lesson in roughly 13 and a half seconds. The supercharged Cobra reminds me on an old saying: "Kick any pig hard enough, and it'll squeal." Still, that thing is fast. Can't wait to see what Chevy has in store for the next SS to top it.

------------------
2000 Camaro Z28 Monterey Maroon Metallic, A4 ,leather, 323 posi, Monsoon w/CD, T-tops, K&N
Old 08-27-2002, 04:46 PM

Talking

Soon, very soon, I will have my car at what was once termed the fastest track in the world.
Houston Raceway Park.
Anyways, my car was bought August 1st and is completely bone stock nothing at all.. NO filters, no lids, no tires not even oil.

I will see what mine runs then on Sept 19th I will dyno in Dallas and see what it has stock. If they let me, I will then put the lid on and dyno again to see the difference...
Of course I will post my findings..

------------------
Psycho Cabbage
2002 Camaro Z28
(6 sp) Bone stock
Webmaster for RaceHer.com
Check out the current polls and vote!
by the prěcking of my thumb, something wicked this way comes

-Traded in- 1995 Camaro Z28 (A4 (#6 I might add!),ES tranny mount and torque arm bushing,SLP CAI,ASP 34% Underdrive,Strange 3.73's (shredded Auburn),1LE alum driveshaft & intake elbow,Yokohamas AVS Intermediates,160-stat,MAF screen removed, HPP+(for shift points only),Borla Y-pipe, Flowmaster Force-II catback, Gutted Cat, Airlift Airbag, !TB Bypass, J&M LCA's, Bosch Platinums, Moroso BlueMax Wires, Free RamAir, Meziere Electric H2O pump, MAC 3point STB, BMR Panhard, SCR SFC's
Just installed:Nu-tek Heads (mild port) and Comp Cams 1.6RR's! New track and dyno #'s to follow!
best 13.44 @103.26
0-60ft 1.96
270 RWHP/296 RWTQ
0-60MPH 4.8sec
1987 Porsche 944S (waiting on LT1 mod)
Old 08-27-2002, 07:24 PM

I took my 2002 WS6 down to the track with 1600 miles on her. STOCK down to the tires and NO weight reduction. Pulled a 13.45 w/ a 2.129 60', NO power shifting. After lid and filter (and !spare tire), pulled a 13.3 w/ a 2.22 60'. The best time in my car (not my driving) to date is a 12.7 (4.10's + dr's helped a lot). I think if I had put some more miles on the motor and practiced my launches a little more, I could have been down to a 13.3x, maybe even a 13.2x.

Capn Pete, you do have the 2.73's which will hurt you a bit....

Chris

------------------
SOLD!! Silver 2000 Camaro 3.8
5spd, T-tops, All power, Alloys, Monsoon, Rear Defroster
Whisper lid, K&N, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, JET Chip Stage II, 180* T-stat, B&M Ripper Shifter, Hurst Leather Shift ****, Kumho Ecsta Supra 255/50/16's, Z28 Swaybars, JVC 12 Disc, 5% Rear tint with Silver Bowtie, GTS Headlight Blackouts

2002 Silver Trans Am WS-6
346 LS1, 6spd, T-tops, TCS, Hurst

Stock:
13.455@105.39 w/ 2.129 60'

Performance: Direct Flow Lid, Holly Powershot, Hooker Cat-back, !2nd Baffle, Cutout, Pro 5.0
Handling: BMR CM LCA's, BMR CM PHB, BMR STB, BMR SFC's
Looks: Interior neons, MacEwen Silver Gauges, Reflective Overlays, Fast toys exhaust tips, painted interior, Pontiac WSB, and a big screaming chicken on the back window
Sterio: Stealthbox with 400W RMS Rockford Sub and Jensen Amp

Mods (not including cutout and SFC):
13.310@107 w/ 2.21 60'

Mods in garage: SLP Line Lock, Nitto DR's
Old 08-27-2002, 11:42 PM

Arrow

I realize that 2.73's aren't the best gear for 1/4 mile racing, but even still, I've seen a few guys on here with A4's and 2.73's that have been running a full second quicker than my car, and yet they've not seemed to have much done to the cars at all.

In truth though, I think the track conditions sucked the night I was there, and the average LS1 Camaro I saw was only running high 13's, although there were a pair of LT1 Camaros running mid 13's. I guess it would have depended on what mods each guy had, because there's no way that there would be almost a full second difference between that many "stock" cars.

I'm going to a different track near me in a couple weeks. The next time I go, I'm going to drop my tire pressure as low as I safely can, cause even with the 2.73's, I was spinning more than I thought I should (especially toward the top of 1st gear). I'm looking into buying a new lid before then too --- at this point, I'd just like to see a 13.anything!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:36 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Capn Pete:
I realize that 2.73's aren't the best gear for 1/4 mile racing, but even still, I've seen a few guys on here with A4's and 2.73's that have been running a full second quicker than my car, and yet they've not seemed to have much done to the cars at all.

In truth though, I think the track conditions sucked the night I was there, and the average LS1 Camaro I saw was only running high 13's, although there were a pair of LT1 Camaros running mid 13's. I guess it would have depended on what mods each guy had, because there's no way that there would be almost a full second difference between that many "stock" cars.

I'm going to a different track near me in a couple weeks. The next time I go, I'm going to drop my tire pressure as low as I safely can, cause even with the 2.73's, I was spinning more than I thought I should (especially toward the top of 1st gear). I'm looking into buying a new lid before then too --- at this point, I'd just like to see a 13.anything!!!
</font>
I dont think lowering you tire pressure should be a major event...
I only go as low as 28psi in the rears. I also dont burn out.. spin them lightly.. for a max of 3 sec.. you just want to brush off the crap from the staging lanes..
GO AROUND THE WATER... AVOID AS MUCH WATER AS POSSIBLE..
line up in your lane early.. dry hop to see if you are getting any traction.. then stage..
as soon as ou get the last yellow.. GO!

too low of a pressure isnt good for the tires and the safety..

------------------
Psycho Cabbage
2002 Camaro Z28
(6 sp) Bone stock
Webmaster for RaceHer.com
Check out the current polls and vote!
by the prěcking of my thumb, something wicked this way comes

-Traded in- 1995 Camaro Z28 (A4 (#6 I might add!),ES tranny mount and torque arm bushing,SLP CAI,ASP 34% Underdrive,Strange 3.73's (shredded Auburn),1LE alum driveshaft & intake elbow,Yokohamas AVS Intermediates,160-stat,MAF screen removed, HPP+(for shift points only),Borla Y-pipe, Flowmaster Force-II catback, Gutted Cat, Airlift Airbag, !TB Bypass, J&M LCA's, Bosch Platinums, Moroso BlueMax Wires, Free RamAir, Meziere Electric H2O pump, MAC 3point STB, BMR Panhard, SCR SFC's
Just installed:Nu-tek Heads (mild port) and Comp Cams 1.6RR's! New track and dyno #'s to follow!
best 13.44 @103.26
0-60ft 1.96
270 RWHP/296 RWTQ
0-60MPH 4.8sec
1987 Porsche 944S (waiting on LT1 mod)
Old 08-28-2002, 07:21 PM

Dont lower your air pressure on radial tires. Only on slicks/DRs...On radials you want to add pressure to the tire. Street tires tend to cup inward with low PSI unlike slicks which cup downward with low PSI...Burounts on street tires are pointless, they get the tire greasy and it wont hook up as well in most cases...If you dont wanna spin so much dont just plant your foot, feed it the throttle and then once you know its good mash it.

------------------
97 LT1 6spd TA Silver

98 LS1 6spd TA...Mystic teal
Mods-
Moser 12-bolt 33spline axles, larger wheels studs, Auburn Posi, and 3.73s
Kenny Brown Double Diamonds
Global West Lower Control Arms
Global West Panhard rod
McLeod Twin Disk Cluth w/ Adjustable Master Cylinder
Flowmaster Muffler
Cutout

92 CAMARO Z28 HERITAGE PACKAGE- T56 TRANS, CAM, COMPUTER, FRESH PAINT (RED WITH BLACK STRIPES)FOR SALE!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:15 PM

On friday at the drags I saw a new 03 cobera
run 14.2 as his best time. thats not very impressive.

------------------
94 z28 Flowmaster catback
Slp cold air New LT1 crate motor 1le tranny mount Cut-Out and redline water wetter. TBB! LT4,KM

Just like Chucky !!!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:19 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Capn Pete:
Guys!!! Can we define what "STOCK" is before we start saying "I did this stock" and "I did that stock" --- I just went to the track last Friday night with my truly STOCK car --- I mean stock as in tires, lid, spare tire/jack, and with an 1/8 tank of premium gas. I know I only have 2.73's, but still, my best time was 14.129 @ 101.26mph --- WHERE'S THE 13??????????

Is it actually true that a STOCK LS1 can actually do less than 13???!!

How do you think I felt running next to a new(er) Mustang who ran 13.673 @ 104.20mph to my 14.1??? That 'Stang looked and sounded "stock" to me, but it probably had a few things done to it, because everyone says "a 'stock' LS1 will walk all over a Mustang --- even ones with mods!" and yet he walked all over me, IMO.

Unless I got a "factory freak" that only does 14.1 as compared to the 13's of every other LS1 F-body out there, I'd say there's probably a little confusion on what guys consider to be "stock". If you've put a new lid on your car, it's no longer stock. It's close, but NOT stock.

Look at the arguments that start up about the new Cobra --- everyone says "well with a lid and exhaust and blah, blah, blah.....I can smoke a Cobra" --- but "stock" for "stock", the Cobra will smoke an F-bod - no question.

So what does it really take to hit 13's??? Would tires do it?? Would a new lid do it?? Do I need to lose some weight??(currently 180lbs) Does my car need to lose some weight??(spare tire/jack)

Is my car odd??? Do all LS1's hit 13's?? Or do stock LS1's only do 14's sometimes??? What's the deal?!

</font>
No offence or anything, but it seems to me that you cant drive for ****. Your mph is very low. Now the track conditions can have a lot to do with it, but hey let me drive your car and i'll show you!!!

------------------
2002 Red M6 T/A...
Direct-flow lid, K&N, Dynomouth exhaust, Lou's short stick...

Dyno #s: 325.5 rwhp and 339.2rwtq!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:35 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeryCrazyBosnian:
No offence or anything, but it seems to me that you cant drive for ****. Your mph is very low. Now the track conditions can have a lot to do with it, but hey let me drive your car and i'll show you!!!

</font>
How is it that he drove for **** when he is an automatic? All he has to do is mash the gas untill he crosses the line and then go get his slip.

------------------
94 Formula-6spd, New Mods are cloyes double roller timing set, CSI WP, Opti conversion,PCMFORLESS tuning, Comp R lifters and cc306, Hurst Shifter, Hotchkis Control Arms and Panhard Rod, Moroso Cai, Msd Ignition, Flowmaster Exhaust, Mac Headers & y-pipe, offroad pipe, Crane 10308 spring kit, 1.6 Promagnum RR's
Dyno with headers and RR's!
297rwhp
328rwtq
13.2@112.65(stock heads, full weight, 92 degrees outside)

Quick Reply: Stock timeslips for my mustang buddys to look at