LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

still cant decide : auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mikez281LE
whobetter, are you familar with kilgore ratings, these are the ratings in effiecency of automatic transmisions. If you take two identical F-bodies and one has auto the other a stick and drive them at 70 mph both going the same rpm, the auto will run out of gas first. This is because power required to turn a auto at that rpm is more than to turn the manual. This is why autos are rated at between 20 to 22% drivetrain losses and manuals at between 15 to 18%. It is important to note though that anything with overdrive gears will cosume more power in that gear than it would if it was direct drive or 1 to 1. As far as using gas when let off the throttle. Most fuel injected engines will cut off fuel if you let off the throttle and leave it in that gear to decelerate. This is because there is almost no air being pulled into the cylinder because the thottle plate is closed, and it wouldnt do that cats any good to see that much unburned fuel it would hurt emmisions. There is still a small amount of gas but only as small as the amount of air that can be pulled through closed throttle plates or the IAC.
or to keep the engine running
Old 07-17-2003, 11:29 PM

Ive had nothing but a4's but id go 6spd...more of a fun factor and no denying there faster
Old 07-17-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
gas consumption is directly related to the amount of air going into the motor.

even if the throttle is closed, air is still getting through it

he is saying NO gas is being consumed.
I am saying gas is being consumed.
how are we both right?
true you are right, but i think he was trying to say that the litle amount that it is using is not going to do anything to like gas mileage or something. i just quickly read over it, but yea you are the one that is right.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
ehhh kinda....

fuel pressure has little to do with it in a propperly tuned vehicle-

you also have to concider that at more rpms, less air is getting into the cyliders (double rpms and the time the valve is open is cut in half) there are other little things that come into play as well that I am just getting a grasp on.

according to your thoery, at cruise- gas milage should double from 4th gear to 6th gear. Id say gas milage increases 25% at best.

gas milage is not directly perportional to rpm
You're right it isn't directly proportional to RPMs but RPMs are a factor in gas mileage PERIOD. Throttle position/fuel pressure do effect mileage, I don't mean fuel pressure in a sense that we set our fuel pressure I mean the pcm...when you roll into the throttle the computer opens the TB, which allows more air and the fuel pressure rises to compensate for the added air.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:37 PM

I said the computer opens the TB, the throttle cable opens the TB...you guys know what I meant...I'm trying to order computer parts, post on here, and talk to four people about computer problems...
Old 07-18-2003, 01:39 AM

This thread is now locked.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by ChrisLS1Bird
This thread is now locked.
huh, don't think so
Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by WhoBetter?
no you idiot, when your drive train is connected to the wheels and you let off the gas, (your engine is getting no gas!) causes your car to slow down, this means there is nothing but air going thru your engine, hence your car slows down because of motor drag, this is also known as engine braking, only light if any combustion is occuring inside the engine if any sigiicant compusioin was occuring your car would not slow down,

now like wise, when an a4 is interstating, you only have to give enough gas to maintain speed, same is the case with the M6. therefore there is very little difference. this is the point i'm trying to make. if you give more gas you accelerate.

very simply gas = energy, air is free

I think you all are really dense, I've got an engineering degree, i have some clue of how machines work.
Well I have a degree in Information Management and Systems(BA) with no engineering background and I seem to know more about your field than you do. IF ENGINE GETS NO GAS ENGINE WILL DIE! Where did you get your degree from? I think they need to take it away.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by STOCK1SC
Well I have a degree in Information Management and Systems(BA) with no engineering background and I seem to know more about your field than you do. IF ENGINE GETS NO GAS ENGINE WILL DIE! Where did you get your degree from? I think they need to take it away.
hell when my motor doesn't get enough fuel it goes BOOM!
this guy is running on no fuel

wow, the LS1 really is more advanced that the LT1

well, i have some more support for the LSx side next time they bring up the LT1 vs LS1 debate

Must be the opti...

(with that said, my truck has individual coil packs, i wonder if i can hop on this massless perpultion idea )

Originally posted by Antz97ZNJ
Ive had nothing but a4's but id go 6spd...more of a fun factor and no denying there faster
watch me
Old 07-18-2003, 11:36 AM

omg, this thread had me cracking my *** up with that moron whobetterwhatever's gas mileage explanations! !!!!

if your engine wasn't getting any gas when you took your foot off the pedal, it'd die you ****in retard. im not even gonna get technical on this discussion as your intelligence obviously wouldn't understand it... so I'll leave it at that. go play with your lego's.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GrdLockV6
omg, this thread had me cracking my *** up with that moron whobetterwhatever's gas mileage explanations! !!!!

if your engine wasn't getting any gas when you took your foot off the pedal, it'd die you ****in retard. im not even gonna get technical on this discussion as your intelligence obviously wouldn't understand it... so I'll leave it at that. go play with your lego's.
i think hes better off playing in the mud- really hard for him to apply any of his knowlege to mud

he could be dangerious with legos
Old 07-18-2003, 11:51 AM

I dont see how he is denying the gas milage factor. Yes if driven the same way manuals get better gas milage than autos. Though most autos probably get better gas milage than my m6 because of my heavy foot but that is beside the point. argueing about speed is also pointless. Both can be made just as fast as the other, just manuals require a good driver to acheive good times where in an auto you just gotta launch and its over from there. As far as stock, manuals with a good driver are usually faster, sure you can add a converter but the manual can use that same money for other mods to acheive the same times. My point is neither are superior than the other and its personal prefrence.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:31 AM

I go on vacation for 4 days and my post got blown out of proportion!

For the most part, I have come to the conclusion that it is all going to come down to driving and test driving a SS with the M6.
I realized today the pleasure of not having to wright out a car payment cuz it is the 20th so I am going to enjoy that for a little longer and put some serious miles on my V6 cuz we all know that even though it is showroom condition it is worth squat

thanks for all who replyed, the main question was mainly what will hold up for the long run, especialy since I will rarely be in 6th gear and the hole traffic situitation, but in the end it will only be solved by me driving and seeing what I feel.

~Chris
Old 07-19-2003, 04:40 PM

hey, atleast I don't spend thousands of dollars in mods on a car that will be worthless 5 years like most of you *** clowns , but I undrstand why you all do it, It's simply t make up for the holes and unfufilled goals in your lives. yeah, you all can't succeed at anything that takes intelligence or skill to accomplsh so you try to shield you patheticness from others by driving a cool car but your nothing but an average everday person, with average jobs and average boring lives.

Why would anyone get exicted about a different color of gauges or if your car is 1/2 sec faster, or if you have 11" tires, or i you have chrome accents under the hood, whocares? I sure don't
but you all will never admit,

It was time to say it and you all know it's true.

later clowns
Old 07-19-2003, 04:51 PM

Talking

Originally posted by WhoBetter?
hey, atleast I don't spend thousands of dollars in mods on a car that will be worthless 5 years like most of you *** clowns , but I undrstand why you all do it, It's simply t make up for the holes and unfufilled goals in your lives. yeah, you all can't succeed at anything that takes intelligence or skill to accomplsh so you try to shield you patheticness from others by driving a cool car but your nothing but an average everday person, with average jobs and average boring lives.

Why would anyone get exicted about a different color of gauges or if your car is 1/2 sec faster, or if you have 11" tires, or i you have chrome accents under the hood, whocares? I sure don't
but you all will never admit,

It was time to say it and you all know it's true.

later clowns
Wow!!! I'm speechless...

Quick Reply: still cant decide : auto or manual