LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

still cant decide : auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:15 PM

If you don't like to shift and you want a comfy car to drive then go with an A4. But, who buys a camaro cause they ride nice and are comfortable to drive?

Anyway, the way I look at it with an M6 you are in control of how much power you have. You can engine brake, you can downshift before exiting a corner... granted you could do this with an A4, but you don't have control of how the shift happens. Personal preference, but I would never buy an A4 SS, shifting makes it fun to drive.

Brian
Old 07-15-2003, 04:07 PM

It's all in what you prefer. Manuals give you more control over the car/better fuel economy and automatics are more consistent for drag racing and more convenient in heavy traffic.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:18 PM

FWIW, I'm swapping my M6 for an A4. I NEVER NEVER drive highways at ridiculous speeds (I like my license), so the M6 really never did much for me. I haven't yet seen (with my eyes) one example of an M6 that could out-60 a convertor car on the street, and I live in Detroit, which IMO rivals Texas for number of fast street cars. It's **usually** 1.5-1.6 vss. 1.8-2.0. I like those numbers, and it's going to be in MY favor, now. Sure, an M6 may recover and around... say... 140 overtake me, but I'll be at destination before I hit 100, and shutting down waiting for the M6 fly-by.

Plus, there's very little by way of components that can be added to an M6 to do much for durability. The Viper T56 doesn't fit the car, and the Z06 parts don't fit the trans. The only other stuff is iron forks, and CF blockers (but only for 98-99, since 00-02 have them).

A properly built A4 can handle considerable abuse, and the PT3400 is a Yank, not much left to say. It'll hold up to my turbo car, and that's more than I can ask from the T56.

And here's the most important part... I can drink my slurpee, eat my hot dog, and talk on my hands-free while in a slow moving traffic jam... Try THAT in an M6!

SC

OBTW- I've driven exclusively manuals for 15 years, until now!

Last edited by SS00Blue; 07-15-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:39 PM

I passed up several M6s trying to get an A4. Heck, I had to order my SS from georgia.

I like drinking my slurpee, eating my hot dog and talking on a cellphone while driving.

With a high stall converter, i'd be drinking my slurpee, eating my hot dog and talking on a cellphone while tearing up a M6. I don't care about drag racing though, so it isn't a concern of mine.

A4 all the way.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:17 PM

If you get the M6 you are actually getting more car for your money. The M6 costs more to produce than the auto. I believe M6's run over $2000+ You have to pay extra for a Corvette with the M6, auto is standard. Plus with the M6 you will likely put down a few more ponies stock than an auto.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:36 PM

automatic vs manual

go with the auto, at high speeds with a car like the ss, the last thing i want to worry about is shifting/ missing a shift. i have a z28 a4, modified a little, at over 130 mph, i just worry about the brake, gas, and whats in front of me. stick gets old too.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:42 PM

You also get a few more miles per gallon with the manual. Running premium that can add up after a while. Not to mention you wan't have to spend a grand on a convertor, you can get a cam and headers.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:16 PM

like everyone has said it all depends on your preference. I prefer the M6. My 99 z28 is an M6 and I have been rippin up A4 for fun all over the place. I havent done any mods to my car and I've been destroying both Trans Ams and Camaros. (We wont discuss how bad the Mustang falls behind ) It all depends on ur skills as a driver. Personally I can smoke a cigarette, talk on the phone and rip through my gears with no problem. Then again I learned to drive stick on a 74 Chevy 10 1/2 ton truck with ceramic button clutch. These are nothin for me. I personally will never go back to an auto unless it is the family car which the wife has to drive too!! (just kiddin ladies ) But like everyone has been tellin u so far its ur choice and urs alone

Vinny
Old 07-15-2003, 08:24 PM

I believe that it's all about preference too BUT I also am a Strong believer in the whole "if you drive a sports car it better be a Manual."

I see no reason in getting a Camaro or Corvette in an Auto unless you're planning on doing some intense drag racing. I see no fun in auto, but that's just the way I am. I figure that there's no reason to get a Camaro if it's going to be auto.

I understand that you're going to drive it everyday but still, I can...and will drive a Manual everyday. Is it a 325 Horsepower monster..no, but I do know a women in my town that drives a 2000 Camaro SS that's a 6 Speed everyday. I think she's in her 40's.

I love manual's and wouldnt drive any but...that's just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:09 AM

I'm not looking for a flame war here but no equally modded M6 is going to rip up any A4 with a high enough stall torque converter. There is a reason the A4's rule at the track. I understand that a stock M6 with decent driver will beat a stock A4 everytime so I believe chenzz when he said he has been rippin up A4's. But if he ever pulls up next to a A4 with 4000+ stall converter with nittos then he may start to wonder why he only sees smoke and dust in front of him but a clear as day picture in the rear view mirror.

That said, I have to admit that the "fun factor" goes to M6 hands down. There is nothing quite like ripping through the gears yourself while deciding what rpm you feel like shifting at. They also get better gas mileage on the highway and have the more durable transmission. This however is offset by the need for new clutches and eventual breaking of the rear end that I hear all M6's who launch at the track with the 10 bolt will eventually do.

If you love to shift yourself then get a M6 without hesitation. If you like them both but never go to the track or seldom do then a M6 will probably make you happiest. If you love the track and 1/4 times are what you live for then the A4 would suit you fine. And for those of you who have better halves that make you get a A4 then your consolation prize is a 1.4 second 60' (although to keep some street drivability if it is a daily driver you may have to settle for a smaller TC that only nets you 1.7 second 60' times).

But for gods sake these are awesome and fun cars. Enjoy whatever you have and be happy!

Last edited by darrens99formul; 07-16-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:55 PM

I say, if you want to get a Ls1 then get the M6 but keep your 3.8, they will only give you 6 or 7 for it anyway, If you can't have both I would just keep the 3.8 because having a ls1 A4 is notmuch different than your 3.8, The autos are nicer to have, the M6 i a good smooth trans but like it was said ealier it's nice to sit back and control with one foot.

Also. all of these jokers saying that an M6 will get your a few more miles per gallon have no idea what they are talking about because as far as stopping, starting, and cruising goes,there is really no difference between the 2, the extra gear makes little dfference because the car only takes as much gas as it needs, so it doesn't matter if your crusing at 2300 or 2000 the car is using the same amount of gas.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by WhoBetter?

Also. all of these jokers saying that an M6 will get your a few more miles per gallon have no idea what they are talking about because as far as stopping, starting, and cruising goes,there is really no difference between the 2, the extra gear makes little dfference because the car only takes as much gas as it needs, so it doesn't matter if your crusing at 2300 or 2000 the car is using the same amount of gas.
I think you're ignoring the efficiency difference. It takes more torque to drive the A4 than it does the M6. (What is it, a 20% loss versus a 15% loss?)

But honestly, I don't know what you're talking about.

I agree with the entirety of page two of this thread. You A4 guys are absolutely correct.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:36 PM

If anyone actually believes an auto will get better mpg than a 6speed you are smoking something. When I'm on the highway in 6th gear I am only at 1800 rpm maybe at 70-80mph,what is an auto doing at 70 mph? The 6 speed is rated at 28mpg on the highway. The auto is only rated at 25mpg and that's with the 2.73 gears. No way the 3.23 gear is getting close to 30 mpg! Maybe downhill all the way. Plus factor in $700 for a decent torque converter and there is no way you will be anywhere near an M6 in mpg. Factor in we can go from 1st to 4th as well and we use less fuel(although I hate it sometimes).
Old 07-17-2003, 03:50 PM

Go with the standard...I know two of my friends are now looking for manuals after driving mine...the Tremec T56 in the LS1 (98-02)cars isn't quite as nochy or heavy as the Borg Warner in the LT1 cars (93-97) I drive mine daily and when school starts thats 70miles a day and its not hard to drive. You adjust to the clutch being heavy after a day...and I honestly cant remember how the clutch felt in the LS1's I've driven.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:51 PM

you all don't understand how cars work, gas mileage doesn't matter on how fast your engine is turning, it depends simply on the power needed to push the car and what trans you have doesn't matter because the engine receives only as much gas as it needs to keep the car moving, look at any econmic car, there engines go fast but they get better mileage because there engines are smaller. as far as manual having less power loss, that is true but it's only a little, you still have most of the same gears. th M6 is a little more effcien because it has an extra gear but the differnce is not even a point to metion because what really matters is how you drive it.

Quick Reply: still cant decide : auto or manual