LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

So let's review.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:29 PM

So let's review.

Longtube headers + off road y pipe + SLP loudmouth = TOO FREAKING LOUD.

I installed pacesetters this weekend...I knew it wouldn't sound too wonderful with such an unresrictive exhaust like the loudmouth, but DAMN I really underestimated it. It is incredibly obnoxious...if it were just a drag car or if I lived in the country I might not care, but I'm definitely swapping to a magnaflow ASAP....

PS the install was super easy, not sure why so many people **** and moan about it. It wasn't necessary to remove the steering shaft or shave that chunk off the block like some people say...the passenger side header slid right in, and the drivers side went in when I smacked it with my fist. To perform this install, I removed the old exhaust manifold bolts (obviously), pass side coil pack bracket, plug wires, dipstick and spark plugs #1 & #3 (so they wouldnt be in the way when I smacked the drivers side header in). In my opinion the worst thing was getting the y pipe situated
Old 08-28-2005, 10:48 PM

Re: So let's review.

I definitely agree with your comments about the install, my steering shaft never got touched, there was no shaving anything, i removed all the plugs & wires and replaced just for the hell of it, but other than exhaust parts and plugs & wires the only thing i had to remove was the starter.

As far as the sound, the setup you said you're going with (magnaflow) may not be much better. Should've stayed with stock manifolds or at least put some cats back on there. One of my friends has stock manifolds, SLP y-pipe and loudmouth, and it sounds good when he gets on it but none of the nastiness or drone that I get with my setup. Might want to consider that before you spend more $$ and end up in the same spot.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmAbe
I definitely agree with your comments about the install, my steering shaft never got touched, there was no shaving anything, i removed all the plugs & wires and replaced just for the hell of it, but other than exhaust parts and plugs & wires the only thing i had to remove was the starter.

As far as the sound, the setup you said you're going with (magnaflow) may not be much better. Should've stayed with stock manifolds or at least put some cats back on there. One of my friends has stock manifolds, SLP y-pipe and loudmouth, and it sounds good when he gets on it but none of the nastiness or drone that I get with my setup. Might want to consider that before you spend more $$ and end up in the same spot.
Why would I want to go back to stock manifolds? Seems like a step in the wrong direction. I added headers for power, not for looks/sound. I've had a magnaflow before and loved it...heard it on a header/ory car and it's not bad at all.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:17 PM

trust me...the magnaflow isn't much better...

unless they've revised teh design, 2/3s of the exhaust is directed out the passenger side pipe without any sound-deadening by the muffler.

if you find the LM too loud..maybe try swapping in a muffler for the resonator.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=teke184

if you find the LM too loud..maybe try swapping in a muffler for the resonator.[/QUOTE]

That's what i suggested. Perhaps a Corsa XR-1? i've heard they work quite well with ORYs
Old 08-29-2005, 10:20 AM

I just put a 23.5" Dynomax Bullet Muffler in my Loudmouth and it got rid of 90% of that aweful, raspy drone you're describing. I don't have LT's yet, but I did just dump the cats. The swap went relatively easy. I was able to cut out ~20" of pipe (including the resonator) with a sawzall and slip the muffler right into place. It's been clamped there for a week without a leak so far. I'm going to double check later this week though just to be certain. Not a bad deal for ~$50. Check Summit or Jegs.