LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

simple question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:39 AM

simple question

After I read the sticky above I almost didnt post this but I decided that its most definatly LS-1 related.. I have a 92 Camaro and will be buying an LS-1 powered car shortly.. The car I am trying to get my hands on is a local kids.. I know the car very well, it has been ran very hard its whole life and I am sure it has about 100,000 miles on it by now.. I also know that it was getting a 75hp shot going through it for a few months before he took the NOS kit off.. What I am wondering is if the LS-1 engine can hold up to that kind of abuse for very long.. The car has some good mods but stock internals.. I dont want to pay too much for a car that I KNOW has had the poop ran out of it if its going to blow up on me 6 months after I buy it.. thanks guys.. also, what is considered "average" drive time before a rebuild?? I know at 120,000 mine was rebuilt but thats a 1st generation small block.. and I have heard that LT-1's can take alot more abuse than that.. so do LS-1's hold up even better than LT-1's? any and all info is welcome
Thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Re: simple question

it's reallly a crap shoot.

some guys on here will atest to beating the horse snot out of their cars and running without problems for 100K miles.
others will tell you that one or two weekends of sprited driving a month and garaged the rest and they've blown motors or rears or what have you.

the engine should still be in good shape if it isn't making any obvious signs of distress...rod knock, blowby, low compression, excessive oil use...

i would more worry about the rest of the car, the clutch, trans, rear..etc

you are DEFINATLY gambling with a beat on car...if it's a good deal...maybe worth it.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:59 AM

Well I'll tell you a little story about my buddy with a 00 T/A. Bought the car used at a dealership with around 40K on it. Supposedly it was a southern car, with an older woman driver. Figures it'll be a great car to play with down the road. Well we took it for a baseline at 13.3's all day long.

Added a cut-out and a lid and the car ran high 13.1's all day. Well being the guys we are, we put a 100 dry shot on it. Car ran for about 15 nitrous blasts...I say blasts because most were street pulls. Well he called me after the last one saying he had a #7 miss. Turns out he cracked the piston, the sleeve and the block....Good thing for warranties....

Well new motor went in and supposedly had 20K on it....Car now goes 13.09 with me driving and 13.15 with him...I'm 100lbs lighter.

So that's the bad experiance...the good is taking a look at The SAM (School of Automotive Machinists) Car. They're into the 11's on a stock 100K+ long block. So it really depends on the car you get, and how lucky you are. Chances are that the car will run fine, especially if you drive it near the same way the previous owner has. I wouldn't recommend spray, but I'm a boost junkie, so if you want be my guest. If you do spray it no more than a 150 shot....I also know of a stock engine 98 T/A with a 150 wet shot that has run 11.80 and he's got near 35K miles on his car...

Just food for thought.

Chris
Old 12-28-2004, 02:54 AM

Cool Re: simple question

Thats helps guys, thanks.. I know when his older brother had the car with the nitrous on it he did use it a few times but its not like its had more than a few bottles ran through it.. after his little brother got the car it only had one bottle ran through but never hit the engine.. he just thought it was cool to go around town purging.. lol.. I know the car has over 100K on it and the rear is a moser unit so it should be good.. as for tranny i have no idea other than it has the 3 position switch to change the characteristics of the shifting.. i beleive its a B&M part.. it has an aftermarket painted to match grille, a body kit.. not wings west and not RS so im not sure who made it because I havent investigated 4th generation parts like I have 3rd generation.. it has the 3 peice spoiler (high rise) and silver 02 anniversary stipes also polished or chrome? Z-06 wheels.. the only mods I can personaly verify are the long tubes, the nitrous, and exhaust done by a local shop.. its just a custom y pipe into 3" pipe with a flowmaster.. odd thing is that the flowmaster has had the bottom cut out.. he says it makes it sound better but personally it kinda defeats the purpose of the muffler if you cut the bottom out so why have one at all?? I have seen the car run the 1/4 one time at clay city ky... it made a 12.9?? pass (no nitrous) which really impressed me since i was running 16.???... again thanks for the reply's.. we are currently working on price but its probaby going to land close to 7,500.. I'll keep ya updated
Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 PM

7500 seems too much for a 100k+ car. no matter what mods he has done, if he take it to a dealer he'll probably get 3000 at the most. the dealer offered me 7000 for mine and i only had 29k when i went to the dealer, and i had all my mods. the general rule of thumb about mods is (atleast what i was told), you will probably only get 10% back of what you put in. sure he has $400 headers, $2k rear, the nitrous and other little things, but i wouldnt pay 7500 for it
Old 12-28-2004, 11:15 PM

I thought dealerships took off money if the car was modded even though mods are a good thing for the most part. If its been tampered with they make up some excuse to give u less money.............i think? They probably use the mods as a selling point once its theirs though.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:20 AM

Im trying my hardest to get him to send me pics in an email so i can post them here.. of course he doesnt understand why since I can just go see it when i want to.. the price isnt a sure thing.. its a quess.. just kinda what i think he is looking for.. I can get him down this is my 4th f-body and im only 24 so i have a little experence with getting the best bang outta my buck.. but i will most definatly keep you guys posted and please let the opinions keep coming
Old 12-30-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by WiseguyZ28
I thought dealerships took off money if the car was modded even though mods are a good thing for the most part. If its been tampered with they make up some excuse to give u less money.............i think? They probably use the mods as a selling point once its theirs though.
Dealers take money off of the trade in value because once they get them they take the mods off and replace it with oem/stock parts
Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM

Hey Purp, why dont you PM me and lets chat. LOL You better get on my board rather then always hanging out here. lol You are too intelligent sounding on here. Got ya! PEACE! KIR