LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Reseting Trip Odomiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:06 AM

Question Reseting Trip Odomiter

Last week I was able to get my car out in some-what decent weather. I turned the car on and let it warm up a bit and when I got in, I noticed that my trip odomiter was reset to zero. Now I didn't think much about it but after going to a friends house and coming back out after a couple hours, it reset itself again. What I need to know is if this is going to become a large problem, or is it just because it hadn't been run in probably 2 - 3 weeks. Any info is greatly appriciated
Old 02-06-2003, 10:41 AM

Lightbulb There is a TSB on that ...

Which I just e-mailed to ya.

Cold weather causes this on the 99's only - low battery voltage may add to the troubles.

The "fix" was to swap instrument clusters for a new style circuit board that eliminated that problem - easy enough, but the car's PCM has to be reprogrammed to accept the new cluster.

This is pretty much a dealer only type scenario ...

(Reprogramming the PCM.)

The downside to the fix is that the readings on thre gauges may change due to a different cluster being used - on the SS, that caused my oil pressure to read lower , and the temp gauge to read hotter, than with the previous (original) cluster.

Drove me bonkers !

I finally went straight to the local reman house (where the dealers get the clusters as per GM ! ) and got it swapped for free, even though the dealer did not want to help.

I then had to go to the dealer to have the PCM reprogrammed to accept the new cluster - I had to fight to get a refund of the 1 hour labor charge to do so.

I got it, though !!

My advice -

Leave it alone !!

It won't cause any trouble that I know of, and it will go away by itself as the temps warm up.

Best of luck either way !!

Britt
Old 02-06-2003, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the information. It's nice to know its not a major problem. Now if I would decide to get this fixed, is this something I would have to pay for? I didn't buy the car new if that makes a difference. Thanks again

Rob
Old 02-06-2003, 10:52 AM

Unhappy It does not hurt to ask, but ...

My bet is that you would pay for the repair as it is out of it's 3 year warranty.

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask - take a printout of the TSB with you when you go - don't do it via phone.

I hate to say , but most Service Writers don't know $hit about the products they deal with.

Pretty sad ...

Britt
Old 02-06-2003, 03:39 PM

My 99 did the same thing,luckily it was still in warranty when it happened.Dealer replaced the cluster.