Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Delteq plug wire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Delteq plug wire questions

I know, most of you don't like the setup, and the company is out of business. Mine has never left me stranded in 10 years or so. I was changing my plugs, and checking my plug wires, and noticed the resistance on the passenger side wires (the longer ones) was much higher than the driver side wires. My coils are mounted on the driver side valve cover, which explains the longer trip to the passenger side plugs. With a four coil waste spark system such as the Delteq, where it fires two cylinders at once (one at the end of the exhaust stroke), does the difference in resistance create some issues? Would it be better if I used cut to length wires, cut them all equal length, and routed them differently? Maybe route them all to the rear of the intake, then have them come down to the center and out to each plug? The driver side ones measured between 4k and 6k ohms, and the passenger side ones were all between 8k and 16k ohms. Is it just the length, or should I get some new wires? What WIRES do you guys recommend? Please, don't tell me to ditch the system and get the LTCC, just wondering which wires would be a good choice for the system I have. Thanks in advance for any positive input.
Darren
Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Re: Delteq plug wire questions

Anybody?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Not many people still running the Delteq system. Not many people still using this site.

Back in the 90's, I had a predecessor of the Delteq, designed by the same person (JC Hyde). It was called the Opti-Eliminator/Super Direct Ignition, produced by Electromotive. Similar setup, but used Electromotive controller and Accel dual-tower coils, rather than the Northstar components.

I installed the coils on the driver side valve cover, and used Taylor 409 (10.4mm) wires. As a result of the location, the driver side wires were significantly shorter than the passenger side wires.

Since I did one of the first installs of this system, I provided JC Hyde with the lengths of the installed wires (and other install hints), and eventually took the car to Electromotive in Manassass, VA and he inspected the install. He found no problems with the wires, and I didn't ever feel there was a problem with the way the engine ran.

Wire resistance has very little to do with the spark..... you're dealing with 20,000 volts.

Last edited by Injuneer; 08-15-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Yeah, I noticed the lack of traffic on the site. Thanks for the info. I guess since I have them off, I'll get some better wires anyway, probably Taylor 409's or SpiroPro.
Thanks,
Darren
Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Administrator

You don't need 409s.... Neither did I. Current setup 500HP on motor + 300-shot of nitrous runs MSD 8.5mm....... More than adequate. Buddy ran same wires on his 9.05-second 30th SS convertible. Both cars do run 8 LS1 coils (not using the LTCC).