LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Questions on Headers/Y-Pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 05:06 PM

Question Questions on Headers/Y-Pipe.

What headers are the best? Does the y-pipe/header combination matter? I've heard long tube headers are the best but aren't steet legal? If I buy headers do I need a y-pipe? Any help would be appreciated since I"m new to this. Thank you all for your help.

------------------
J.J. (Nashville, TN)
2001 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 06-25-2002, 08:11 PM

Headers? SLP's have alot of complaints, FLP's are used by alot of people, and most of which seem to be happy, especially if you are going to lower your car. Grotyohann makes an excellent set of headers, but the y-pipe isn't the best. I personally have a set of TTS headers, and I am extremely happy with them.
If you install headers, you will need a y-pipe, but most headers will come with a y-pipe, or will have the option of getting one with them. Every different set of headers will have a different y-pipe, so use the one that comes with them, or a good exhaust shop can fab you one.
Long tubes are the way to go. I don't know the laws of your state, but in Texas the law is if the cats are moved any further away from the head it is illegal. Your car will most likely pass inspection if the car is hot. So make sure to drive around the block a few times to heat up your cats before the inspection. (It takes a few more seconds to heat the cats being further away.) As long as they don't do a visual inspection you will be fine. And if you have any problems, see your local performance shop and they can usually tell you where to go or what to do to pass.

mfarris@flightmedicmail.com

------------------
Old 06-25-2002, 08:12 PM

Thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it

------------------
J.J. (Nashville, TN)
2001 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 06-25-2002, 08:30 PM

any more questions, just e-mail me.

------------------
2001 Blk SS, T-Tops, auto, 3.23's
--K&N FIPK, TR55 Iridium's, MSN Super conductors, TTS headers, Corsa w/ Premium's
Old 06-25-2002, 08:54 PM

Hooker LT's are the way to go......great price and a great fitting y-pipe. Plus they have provisions for your smog fittings.

When you install headers, you are moving the cat from it's orginal location which makes the mod illegal by Federal Standards....individual states didn't make the law.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:42 PM

people are quick to recommend brands like SLP and FLP. im sure they are a good header, but in all honesty, *MOST* LT headers will perform the same -- assuming they are tested and tuned correctly. i choose Hooker LT's because of the price and the fact that i got them straight from Jet-Hot and they look amazing. shipped to your door they are $580 and total i got my ORY and o2 simms (which i didnt need!) for $850. try getting the FLP's for that price...

------------------
1999 Camaro SS A4 Black/Black/Dark Gray w/ Torch Red Hood Scoop and Torch Red Rear Stripe... 3:23 || SLP Loudmouth || SLP AirBox Lid w/ K&N || SLP Bowtie Grille || SLP CAI || SLP SFC || SLP STB || AZP&S Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ 3psi Boost || Sullivan Aluminum Racing Pedals || Yank ST3500 || B&M 24K Tranny Cooler || Jet-Hot Hooker LT Headers w/ ORY || Hypertech 160 T-Stat || SLP Fan Switch || 17 x 9.5 Aluminum Z06 Wheels || Nitto 555R's || Macewen White Faced Gauges w/ Red Dash Bulbs || Xenon Headlights.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:11 PM

I looked around and I think I"m going to go with Hooker headers, y-pipe, and a corsa exaust. Would that work? Would my SFC's get in the way? They're BMR tubular.

------------------
J.J. (Nashville, TN)
2001 Camaro Z28 M6