LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Question about Clear corner lenses

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Question Question about Clear corner lenses

What has to be done to install the clear corner lenses, I really dont want to have to take the whole front facia off, but im sure that is what has to be done???? Thanks for any information
Old 07-07-2002, 10:18 PM

There is 1 bolt that holds the headlights on to the car, unscrew it and pull the headlights out. There are 3 bolts that hold the lenses in place, two you get from the top (easy) and one you have to get from the bottom, which is a major pain in the ***. You can get it with a ratchet wrench tho. After that, they pull out with some force. reverse to put the new ones in, dont bother undoing the fascia.

------------------
Brandon
Black 98Z - Sport Wing and some power mods to back it up
moderator - www.ls1power.com
Old 07-08-2002, 02:55 PM

I was thinking of getting those clear corner lights but then I wasnt sure if it was too ricey or not. whats everyones opinion on them?

------------------
1998 Black Camaro Z28 A4
------------------------
MTI Carbon Fiber Lid
Holley Power Shot Filter
FTRA kit
BMR STB
Mufflex 4" catback w/Spintech
NGK tr55 plugs
MSD wires
Old 07-08-2002, 03:14 PM

I have the diamond clear corners on my car and I think it looks fairly sporty. It brightens up the look of the car a lot. I've beenr really pleased overall, one thing you need to do before you install them though, is to get some silicone and reseal the clear corners. They do a bad job from the factory and they fog up when you wash the car. Resealing them should prevent this. Hope this helps.

------------------
2002 Camaro Z28
Appearance: White, 5% tint, Black RS style racing stripes, RKSport rear Fascia lettering, SLP bowtie grille, diamond clear corners, gloss black calipers with chrome 'CAMARO' lettering, 17" Z06 rims

Performance: K&N FIPK, 3 inch custom exhaust by Thorley Headers/Jardine Performance, cutout, skip shift eliminator, FRA, DMS subframe connectors, DMS springs, more to come.

Stereo: Boston Pro-Series components, JL Audio 6.5 inch subs in sail panels, Kenwood KDC-X815 head unit, two Alpine V12 amps, Image Dynamics IDQ10 sub in JL Audio Vantage Box, Phatnoise MP3 player (AKA Kenwood music keg)

2001 Camaro RS
White w/ black stripes, all SLP options

1991 Camaro RS
Light blue, 305 V8, tinted windows, stereo system, lowered, KYB struts and shocks, chrome stock rims, Flowmaster exhaust with 3.5 inch tips
Old 07-13-2002, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mustang_52:
I was thinking of getting those clear corner lights but then I wasnt sure if it was too ricey or not. whats everyones opinion on them?</font>
You gotta get them for a black car. The contrast between that pumkin orange and black is terrible.
Check my sig and go through the pics, there are a couple of the clears and my homepage has one before the clears... it almost hurts your eyes to look at it after the orange is gone.
Also, when I did mine, I took out the headlights as described above, but I got all 3 bolts on the lenses from up top. It was a pain to get at the one, but nothing like trying to get it from below. Trust me, I tried. Then I found out the headlight removal trick. Thank god...
My .02
Dave

------------------
Old 07-14-2002, 09:09 AM

You might find some good info here http://www.ls1tech.com/ubb/ultimateb...c;f=3;t=002164 .
Old 07-14-2002, 09:45 AM

You can install them without removing anything.

The way I did it was to reach behind the headlights; sticking my arm between the headlight supports.

You can reach all 3 bolts with a rachet that way. Just use a shallow 7mm socket. Look at the bolt holes on the new corner to get an idea of where the bolts are.

After you unbolt and unplug them, you kind of have to pry them out because outside corner gets stuck on part of the bumper. Then pull the housing up through where your arm is. You might have to turn and twist it a bit.

------------------
Stump
2000 M6 "Arrest Me Red" Camaro SS
Old 07-14-2002, 02:22 PM

I'm sorry, but trouble to remove that one extra 10mm bolt on each side to get the amount of room you get is well worth it! Especially when you have hands the size of hams like I do.
With the light out you can literally look right at the back of the corner lens. No feeling around, plenty of light, and probably 4xs as fast... no joke.
Dave

------------------
Old 07-14-2002, 03:34 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mustang_52:
I was thinking of getting those clear corner lights but then I wasnt sure if it was too ricey or not. whats everyones opinion on them?

</font>
I dont think they look ricey, but i think altezza lights do !