Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Custom computer/stereo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 10:42 AM

Post Custom computer/stereo setup...

Well I'm curious if you guys are gonna be able to help me with this but I figured I'd ask for your opinions...

I'm tired of having my cds all scratched and skipping and whatnot and I've been figuring for a while on putting a custom computer setup in my car. I'll describe it real quick... the actual computer (just like your home pc) would be mounted back where the spare tire is. There would be a small screen mounted in the front area under the headunit where the cig lighter and tape holder thing is. Where the ashtray is, I'd be putting in a touchpad like you would see on a laptop. I'll be mounting a dvd/cd drive somewhere in the front area as well, although I havent specifically chosen a place yet. The idea is that I'll have all of my music stored on the computer and run the sound from the computer out into the cd changer inputs in my head unit. The computer will be running winamp and playing mp3s. I'll also be able to play dvds onto the little screen and I figure I'll hook up a navigation system or something as well.

So thats a basic description of the way I want it to be but I have a few questions that I'm still trying to find answers/solutions for. First... I know computer hard drives are sensitive to jolts and whatnot. Any ideas on how to get around this problem? Second... is the remote turn on that I use for my amp going to be enough to turn on the PC (anyone know how much power runs through it)? Third... ideas for where to mount a dvd drive? Lastly... any unforseen problems that I might encounter?

So, what do you guys think? Thanks for any replies.

------------------
Ecarshow.net - Post your ride!
www.ecarshow.net
Absolute Z28
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~jacobm/
94 Mystic Teal Z28
AS&M CAI
Flowmaster
Hi Flow Cat
Rear Blackouts
Clear corners
Carbon Fiber Guage Bezel
2 10" Rockford XLC in custom box
600w Lanzar Vibe Amp
Racing Stripes
Reflective Concepts Rear Inserts
Old 06-16-2002, 12:27 PM

Well being a computer tech myself I have thought of the idea too, but I figured on using a labtop.

The hard drive you could suspend in some womans nyloyons. (no joke) I saw this done on junk yard wars and its kept an egg from being destroyed after a 50 foot fall! Or if you think that is too ratical pack it into a box with a ton of padding...but it would have to breath because hard drives especially the high end ones can get warm.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I have seen this done on a show 3rd gen camaro but it had star trek scenes painted all over it and the dash had a floppy drive and cd rom in it!

------------------
95 Camaro 3.4L,
-Flowmaster muffler 80 series with quad tips,
-K&N Air Filter,
-White Racing Stripes
-LeBra front end cover,
-Carbon Fiber headlight covers,
-Interior purple neons
* 4 8" bulbs
* 6' of neon wire
* 6" neon that flashs to the bass.
-Chrome shifter and pedals
-Ice cold Purple!
-2000 Trans Am rims with 245/45 R16 tires.
http://members.glis.net/zomie
Old 06-16-2002, 11:50 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Absolute Z28:
First... I know computer hard drives are sensitive to jolts and whatnot. Any ideas on how to get around this problem? </font>
Well, modern Hard drives typically can withstand shocks of 75g's or so without damage. But, I don't know how well they would operate during consistent vibration. A lap-top hard drive should work. They make adapters so you can use them in home PC's.

Second... is the remote turn on that I use for my amp going to be enough to turn on the PC (anyone know how much power runs through it)? </font>
Hell no! You will need some kind of relay, solid state relay, or transistor. You will also need a power inverter or a special power supply for the computer. (They (the power supplies) can't run off 12 volts you know )

Third... ideas for where to mount a dvd drive?
</font>
Well, you could get a mobile DVD player and mount it in the glove box. You would then need a card with a video input for your computer. Or you could get a computer DVD drive and put it in the PC. But you will run into problems with all the vibrations form the car. Again, a Laptop DVD drive can work on the PC, They should be able to withstand the abuse.

If you went with the PC/Laptop DVD drive you would HAVE to mount it close to or in the PC. If you mounted it far away, not only would you have to have a custom cable made, but there would be interference and power loss issues with such a long cable (however, I am no expert. Seeing as though the video signal is digital, it may work just fine.)

Lastly... any unforseen problems that I might encounter?
</font>
Many.

So, what do you guys think? Thanks for any replies.
</font>
Honestly, you will never do it. It is way too involved for you (Unless you have a good friend that knows a TON about the stuff and is willing to spend a lot of time doing to for you.).

There are many car audio systems out that play MP3's and DVDs, include monitors, and will install in a DIN location to boot.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:12 AM

Ok... replies to the current comments:

Thanks for the stocking idea, I wont actually use a stocking but it does give me ideas. Also, thanks for the shock resistance info.

As for the reply to the remote turn on question, I'm not looking for the power supply to be powered by the remote turn on lead, I'm looking for the remote turn on to act just like an on off switch the same way it does with an amp. When the radio turns on, it should be like pressing the ON button for the PC.

Lastly for the comment about never doing it... I will do it and have already pretty much solidified my idea. I was just asking opinions because you never know what could come up. I could just go buy the premade setup that has stuff in it but that wouldnt be custom would it. I do also know a ton about this sort of stuff, notice that I had a total of 3 questions, so its not like I'm a blind mouse trying to figure out how to get the cheese.

Any other help/comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:24 AM

More tips:
You may have better luck mounting the stuff upfront. You could take the components out of the case and mount them in the dash. There is probably enough room in the glove box area.

You can fit the components almost anywhere if you know how to arrange them. You just need to get the ventilation right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2032570245

Old 06-18-2002, 10:38 PM

Not bad at all, that ebay thing above, I knew about them, but not for home, but for car, not bad idea.

I am actually going to run a laptop in the car, for dvd player, navigation system, and mp3 box.

I would say that the laptop would be alot easier to go with, but then the screen is pointless cause you would need another one.

If you just want to run a box with mp3's, kenwood makes a large storage unit, which is like a changer, but with a cart that connects to pc, to download.

------------------
93 Patriot Red Z28 - A4, 3.23 Gears
*Mods*: Hooker Super Competition Catback, Holley 58MM Throttle Body, Holley Powershot Filter, 160* Thermostat, A. Anderson Programming Chip, Aeromaks Cold Air Intake System

Audio: JVC KDSH77 HU, Infiniti Kappa 6.5"
Max's Patriot Red 93 Z

Time: 14.052@98.23, 2.193 60', Street Tires, Hot & Humid
Old 06-19-2002, 04:18 AM

found u a monitor?!?!http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2032868124

I am concidering doing the same later when i get more cash.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:06 AM

In last months issue of a magazine called Maximum PC, the Rig of the Month on the back page was of a guy who put a laptop and a 15 or 17 inch LCD in his Mustang GT. He put most of the components where the passenger side airbag would go. Sounedp pretty neat. It's not in the current issue on newstands, but if you went to a larger bookstore, they may have last month's issue still. I can scan the article if you are intersted in seeing it.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:05 PM

A few ideas- You may easily find a 12DV power supply, I've seen them from time to time for car and navagation use. After all, your desktop and laptop in the end all run on DC power, through an inverter. So doing DC to an A/C converter to the power supply back to DC is a bit overkill in heat and space. So a large relay would work, and you simply pull out the computer power switch and set it to the relay, so that power comes on with the radio.

Downside: Windows takes too long to load, and shutting it down improperly will **** it up every time. Try like a stripped version on Linux for the high end Palms. That should do you pretty well as it's more reliable and loads faster, and shutting it off fast wont kill it as fast. On the long cable thing - it is digital, so it shouldnt affect it too bad, assuming it is a digital signal, which it might not be... And shielding the cable is a must, then you wont have to worry about interference, but you will have to worry about loss due to length. But that should help. I understand your desire to get the mp3's and all, but also it's just tough to get them to the computer anyway. Personally, I'd say just invest in a GOOD head unit with DVD and mp3 ability, and a screen. That way you dont have all the space taken up also for a computer (and it's power drain) and worrying about shutting it down or starting it up, and you may spend only slightly more in the end. But hey, it's up to you. I personally would do it all in dash, but I have a convertible. Good luck to you. If you want to know more, there is a guy on the web with a plymouth laser "purple plymouth guy" and has a custom PC with a handmade clear case and everything. He's really open to questions from any car owner, so I'd search him on the web. He's got a website, but I'm on a 33k AOL connection so I cant find it now. Good LUCK!
Old 06-23-2002, 01:49 PM

Sorry about the delay in response from me, I was on a business trip last week. Anyways, thanks alot for the comments guys. I'm slowly putting it all together.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:53 PM

Dude, if you ever need any help, I am very close to you in jersey, Live in East Windsor, off 130.

And I am a computer tech, besides, I want to see how you do it. I am in the process of mounting my laptop to the headunit myself.

------------------
93 Patriot Red Z28 - A4, 3.23 Gears
*Mods*: Hooker Super Competition Catback, Holley 58MM Throttle Body, Holley Powershot Filter, 160* Thermostat, A. Anderson Programming Chip, Aeromaks Cold Air Intake System

Audio: JVC KDSH77 HU, Infiniti Kappa 6.5"
Max's Patriot Red 93 Z

Time: 14.052@98.23, 2.193 60', Street Tires, Hot & Humid
Old 06-24-2002, 09:47 AM

For your front end, if you put the computer in the back, try this:
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~woodsjr/
that's what i'm doing, and i'm much farther than the page shows, just haven't updated it. but you get the idea. good luck, and it sounds like an awesome idea to me!
-Joe
Old 07-19-2002, 01:43 PM

I don't know if you'll see this being as it is an old post, but here goes. I was thinking of putting a computer in my car for the same reasons you are. Maybe buying an older laptop ( 350 mhz, or so) and using that as the computer. However, my plan was to buy a docking station for the laptop, and mounting that somewhere in the car (sparetire well, between the back seats) permanently. That way, I could take the laptop out of the car to load files, etc. and have a secure mounting point in the car. Wouldn't have to disconnect wires to remove either.

------------------
96 T/A A-4,
SLP-CAI, TBFB, MAF screen, 160* stat, Flowmaster, cutout. More to come.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:21 PM

Just another suggestion. I've seen carputer install's that have the hard drive mounted vertically (as opposed to the standard horizontal ) That way, on a MASSIVE bump, large enough to move the arm, it doesn't drop onto the disk.
-Joe